Fog Light Housing and Bulbs - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Points: 138, Level: 2 Points: 138, Level: 2 Points: 138, Level: 2
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fog Light Housing and Bulbs

This is a toy. Want that cool look of not the everyday white fog light and also looking for serious output of light for camping / woods.

Looking for a yellow light.

One of the factory housings is cracked and the bulb went out again. I'm sure it's because of moisture. I would like to replace both housings with aftermarket yellow lights. Don't want to spend a ton of money, but don't want **** either. The crap on ebay gets terrible reviews on amazon or google when I search the product so I'm looking for any help I can get from true Commander guys / gals

Anyone have something that will actually fit, be easy to wire or plug and play, and won't cost me something stupid?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanding View Post
This is a toy. Want that cool look of not the everyday white fog light and also looking for serious output of light for camping / woods.

Looking for a yellow light.

One of the factory housings is cracked and the bulb went out again. I'm sure it's because of moisture. I would like to replace both housings with aftermarket yellow lights. Don't want to spend a ton of money, but don't want **** either. The crap on ebay gets terrible reviews on amazon or google when I search the product so I'm looking for any help I can get from true Commander guys / gals

Anyone have something that will actually fit, be easy to wire or plug and play, and won't cost me something stupid?

Thanks so much!
I'd say to go with 3000k HID's with matchbox projectors retrofitted into a factory housing, but you are not going to get that in a plug and play option, atleast not for cheap.

You could try some universal fit projector fogs, you'd have to play around with mounting them a bit, but it shouldnt be too tough, and some decent 3000k bulbs

http://www.amazon.com/Blazer-UW3675-...tor+fog+lights
with
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...-ballasts.html
and
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...h3c-bulbs.html

Maybe you could make these work?
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...ghts-jeep.html
or the unversal fit option
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...-led-fogs.html

This might be a nice option, although mounting could require a bit of work:
http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/le...ts-model-6145/
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/whats...ml#post1066859

Alternatively, the cheapest decent option is you might try running yellow fog light film https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...ht-covers.html on some replacement housings with 9011 bulbs. 9011's are basically plug and play and have significantly more output than your factory 9005 highbeams, and are something like 4 times brighter than your stock fogs, though a couple hundred lumens less than a true HID setup.

Below that you are talking about godawful yellow chinese bulbs with terrible reviews. Or maybe an LED option, but you'd end up spending more than the 9011s and doubtful that they would output more lumens, plus cutoff and beam distribution in the stock lenses would probably be crap.

I have 9011's/9012s in my XK
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/w...23/index6.html

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 05-26-2016 at 04:45 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the links! Just looking for the easiest product to install as my skills are extremely sub-par and I want to get up with the times in advanced lighting over just using factory replacement housings and bulbs. I'm all for replacing the housings with mopar / factory housings (as one is cracks and the other is foggy ((pardon the pun))) and just adding LED bulbs if that's the best / easiest option. Not sure I want to mess with HID housings, ballasts, wiring etc., as I would most-likely screw something up and have to pay someone to install them for me in the end, ha!

Thanks again for any information you can provide.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

On another note... I purchased a 9012LL for the headlights and after a quick use of the dremel, I was able to get the bulb to fit snug. It was much brighter and had a nice beam pattern over the factory bulb, so I ordered another 9012LL. After install, it's a slightly different color than the first bulb. Is that because of the Jeep having an electrical issue, or that the bulb may have come from a different source (Amazon)?

I'll post pictures tonight so you can see what it looks like. Here is one with the new bulb against the factory bulb.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 03:32 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
On another note... I purchased a 9012LL for the headlights and after a quick use of the dremel, I was able to get the bulb to fit snug. It was much brighter and had a nice beam pattern over the factory bulb, so I ordered another 9012LL. After install, it's a slightly different color than the first bulb. Is that because of the Jeep having an electrical issue, or that the bulb may have come from a different source (Amazon)?

I'll post pictures tonight so you can see what it looks like. Here is one with the new bulb against the factory bulb.

I'll have to see the comparison with the second HIR installed to see how it looks. I'd consider sending it back if it doesn't match. Amazon is pretty good with returns.

I purchased most of mine from Rockauto and they all match the Amazon set I originally purchased.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,804, Level: 95 Points: 24,804, Level: 95 Points: 24,804, Level: 95
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the links! Just looking for the easiest product to install as my skills are extremely sub-par and I want to get up with the times in advanced lighting over just using factory replacement housings and bulbs. I'm all for replacing the housings with mopar / factory housings (as one is cracks and the other is foggy ((pardon the pun))) and just adding LED bulbs if that's the best / easiest option. Not sure I want to mess with HID housings, ballasts, wiring etc., as I would most-likely screw something up and have to pay someone to install them for me in the end, ha!

Thanks again for any information you can provide.
I replaced both of my foglights with the standard Jeep/MOPAR replacements at about $50.00 a pop.

The funny thing is I didn't realize how much they had been dimmed by the pitting from the weather and the sun.

The new ones are so bright now, I really can't drive with them on when traffic is coming the other way because people are constantly flashing their brights at me because the foglights are blinding them.

Of course, all that ceases when I hit them in the face with my 50" curved LED light bar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 06-01-2016 at 09:29 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
I'll have to see the comparison with the second HIR installed to see how it looks. I'd consider sending it back if it doesn't match. Amazon is pretty good with returns.

I purchased most of mine from Rockauto and they all match the Amazon set I originally purchased.
It had to be just the first time I fired them on or the slight film on the headlight. It looks good now. Had a buddy wet sand the headlights and clear them. All is good now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in