Recirculation Door Stays Open - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Points: 138, Level: 2 Points: 138, Level: 2 Points: 138, Level: 2
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Recirculation Door Stays Open

Hey all,

2006 Jeep Commander 4.7V8 with every option but dual climate.
Recirc door is staying open causing the AC compressor to work overtime, I imagine. Would like to fix the door issue rather than replace the compressor and the door issue before too long.

I've searched youtube for a fix, but only get older Jeeps with the issue. Anyone have a video on how to fix or can shine some light on this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 10:02 PM
Banned
Points: 1,575, Level: 22 Points: 1,575, Level: 22 Points: 1,575, Level: 22
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%

Yes. Some here had a wright up and part number. I have to get to my laptop to find the link (in the phone app at the moment)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 10:24 PM
Banned

sorry I'm a little off it was a floor vent stuck on. But it does have the part # 68017816AB for fresh air/recirc air door part. if you read thought it,it might help. I've got the same problem at the moment I thought this threa was going to help me when I bookmarked it a few months ago.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...s/14681?page=1

BTW The parts stores carry 5143192AA actuator for heater doors.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

That is the correct part number, yes. Thank you!

Unfortunately, I can't find any write ups or videos on how to replace this. I'm beginning to think the entire dash / shifter / steering column will have to be removed and that's the reason for lack of information as I doubt many people have tried this repair. If that's the case, that's truly a terrible problem as I'll never be able to do this job myself.

Anyone else have the recirc door issue? The air blows constantly though the top vents and it's really annoying. I'm sure the compressor will go out soon too as the thing probably works overtime to cool the continuous outside air.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Banned

I have the factory service manuals (huge books) at home, visiting family for the holiday, I can look it up when I get home. I just read the descriptions of the different actuators I didn't think any them were terribly difficult, but I was skimming through for the recirculation flap not shutting.
Thinking about it I might have the digital copy on my laptop, if I do I'll let you know where the defrost actuator is and what to do fix the vents if it's listed.

Btw the factory service manual can be extremely vague on many points,ac compression w dual ac was trying to find out what the correct freon psi and oil amount for the compressor only listing was for the compressor it didn't have and even that lacked the information I was looking for.

Unfortunately the commanders and grand Cherokees of these years do not have that many write up and videos on them yet. The KJ forum was invaluable helping me with the details swapping the 3.7.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanding View Post

Unfortunately, I can't find any write ups or videos on how to replace this. I'm beginning to think the entire dash / shifter / steering column will have to be removed and that's the reason for lack of information as I doubt many people have tried this repair. If that's the case, that's truly a terrible problem as I'll never be able to do this job myself.

Anyone else have the recirc door issue? The air blows constantly though the top vents and it's really annoying. I'm sure the compressor will go out soon too as the thing probably works overtime to cool the continuous outside air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanding View Post

Wait a second. Do you mean the defrost vents? I was assuming it was the re-circulation door not closing so the AC is not working as effectively as it could, but otherwise air was going out the vents properly.

BTW I do have the service manual on this computer so I should be able to find what you need
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

As far as I know the recirc door is stuck open. Air flows through the vents (whichever I set them on) accordingly. If I set to feet, air will flow on the feet. Head, to head. Defrost to defrost. But the air always flows as the recirc door won't close when I set to recirc air.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 08:05 PM
Banned

Ok cool. I've got the same problem. I mistook the air through the top vents for defrost.

I'll get a chance to look to the FSM tonight.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Points: 4,709, Level: 43 Points: 4,709, Level: 43 Points: 4,709, Level: 43
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

My recirc function stopped working a while ago. I could tell something was wrong, and it turns out the recirc door was broken off, and eventually fell down, blocking the blower from pushing air out of the vents. I was able to remove the blower motor and reach up and pull out the recirc door. I now have airflow, but no way to use the recirc function. I am trying to see if I can find a how to of how to replace just the recirc door. I found another thread where someone else said they were able to replace the recirc door without removing the dash/hvac housing, but they did not respond when I asked if they had more details/pictures.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Let me know if you find anything, fellas. Appreciate it.

I found a video on YouTube, but its so beyond f'ed on how much the guy removed, I won't even bother posting it here, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in