Comander 4.7 Hesitation - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,994, Level: 26 Points: 1,994, Level: 26 Points: 1,994, Level: 26
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Comander 4.7 Hesitation

Been a while since I have posted, logged a total of 123,xxx miles on my Commander, majority of those miles have been trouble free, just routine maintenance.

Every few months I experience what is like a engine hesitation or stall, the engine never quits though.

If I reverse out of a parking spot to the right and then place the vehicle in drive and try to accelerate away the truck hesitates likes its getting no fuel, this has happened with less than a 1/4 of gas and more than 3/4 tank of gas.

The hesitation/stall will last about 3-4 seconds and then clear up. I have noticed it happens when I do a quick stop, engine has been off for less than 10 minutes.

Dealer is stumped, they have replaced abs sensor, plugs, fuel filter and now they want to do fuel pump....

No real mechanics today just a bunch of yahoos that want to throw parts at my truck and hope that something works while I foot the bill.

One lead tech who worked on my truck actual told me if the computer doesn't tell him what's wrong he does not know where to start....rant over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Points: 7,337, Level: 56 Points: 7,337, Level: 56 Points: 7,337, Level: 56
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 3500
Garage
maybe try to clean your TB. That's all I can think of.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 04:59 PM
Points: 493, Level: 9 Points: 493, Level: 9 Points: 493, Level: 9
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

I'm having the same problems with my 07 4.7 Commander with close to the same mileage. Rough idle, hesitation, almost stalling...etc...A couple of times the engine has actually cut out, once while driving which makes the problem very unnerving.

Last summer I took it to my local mechanic who replaced the spark plugs and cleaned out the throttle body. But as soon as the weather has started warming up again the problems have returned. Last week the jeep finally threw a MIL, which was a 0300 code (or random engine misfire which is basically a useless code). I returned my vehicle to the mechanic who replaced the plugs last year and they couldn't find anything wrong, except they pulled the plugs and told me they installed the wrong ones so they replaced them with some better fitting platinum ones. But alas, the problems continue. I took the jeep into another mechanic that I have gone to for years, but they couldn't find anything wrong either with their scanners. Apparently mechanics are getting lazy and don't like to get their hands dirty.

So I am in the same boat as you, short of replacing all the different components and hoping something works, if the OBD is not throwing any codes you are out of luck until something more serious happens. I haven't tried the dealership yet, but I don't expect any better results. Frustrating.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 06:48 PM
Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
I get this same problem with my 06 145k on the od. It does not happen to me enough to worry about, it seems to happen after a short stop on a hot engine.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:10 AM
Points: 3,918, Level: 39 Points: 3,918, Level: 39 Points: 3,918, Level: 39
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 221000
My '06 4.7 (155k miles) is having the same issue, intermittent hesitation when accelerating. It's never happened to me but I don't drive it that often (unfortunately). The wife says when it happens, it feels like she's driving on a bumpy road. I can only guess that's the engine shaking/stuttering. I've seen TSB XK_2100706 and had the transmission fluid/filters changed when I bought it two years ago (along with new spark plugs) but I don't think this is in the transmission. She's freaking out about it, and I have a feeling the dealer is going to say NTF (no trouble found). There are no codes or warning lights.

The only interesting thing, is that the jeep reads an average of 12.2 MPG which seems a bit low to me. Granted, she drives 90% city and also drives it like a race car (in my opinion) in South Western PA (lots of hills) but I'm wondering if maybe I should start with a fuel injector or throttle body cleaner? I'm interested to know what MPG are others getting? I'm really at a loss because the engine seems to run fine otherwise (and always runs fine when I drive it). Any thoughts, tips, or previous experience from any members is appreciated. Thanks!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,664, Level: 95 Points: 24,664, Level: 95 Points: 24,664, Level: 95
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

4WD
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
The dealership offers a fuel system service/flush as part of the normal maintenance schedule that is supposed to be done every 15 or 20,000 miles. Have you had that performed since you've owned your XK?

Have you ever changed your spark plugs?

They are supposed to be changed at 100,000 miles.

You guys with the 06 and 07 4.7L Commanders are lucky, you only have 8 spark plugs to worry about changing.

I had 16 spark plugs to change out because in 2008 the 4.7L was re-designed and one of the changes was adding a 2nd spark plug per cylinder.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-23-2016 at 10:35 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:18 PM
Points: 3,918, Level: 39 Points: 3,918, Level: 39 Points: 3,918, Level: 39
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

4WD
Current Mileage: 221000
Thanks for the reply, Big Blue. I've never had a fuel system service/flush performed. I don't recall seeing that in either schedule A or B maintenance in the owners manual. I suppose it couldn't hurt; I doubt it's ever been done. I'm still curious what others are seeing as far as MPG. 12.2 just seems really low, to me.

As I said above, the plugs were changed when the transmission fluid/filters were changed. I used the NGK Iridium IX spark plugs as recommended here on the forum. The Champion plugs were extremely worn so I suspect they're the original.

I thought only the Hemi's had 16 plugs! Man, that's a job! Anyway, I was hoping for a smoking gun answer, but that'd be too easy. Seems like it could be a 100 different things causing this problem.

Thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,664, Level: 95 Points: 24,664, Level: 95 Points: 24,664, Level: 95
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

4WD
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman67 View Post
Thanks for the reply, Big Blue. I've never had a fuel system service/flush performed. I don't recall seeing that in either schedule A or B maintenance in the owners manual. I suppose it couldn't hurt; I doubt it's ever been done. I'm still curious what others are seeing as far as MPG. 12.2 just seems really low, to me.

As I said above, the plugs were changed when the transmission fluid/filters were changed. I used the NGK Iridium IX spark plugs as recommended here on the forum. The Champion plugs were extremely worn so I suspect they're the original.

I thought only the Hemi's had 16 plugs! Man, that's a job! Anyway, I was hoping for a smoking gun answer, but that'd be too easy. Seems like it could be a 100 different things causing this problem.

Thanks!
As far as your gas mileage goes, I've had mine dip down that low when I do alot of stop and go driving.

It's also good to reset your MPG calculator every so often so your MPG readings aren't being bogged down with old data.

When I'm on the highway I get around 19 MPG, with the lift, bigger tires and all the extra weight I've added to it with all the upgrades I've done, that's not too bad.

I recently added a cat-back exhaust & cold air intake thinking it would help my mileage but that doesn't seem to be the case.

It did give me at least 20 more hp though, I can definitely feel and hear the difference.

As far as pinning down your issue to one thing, you just can't do it - unless you happen to go to the dealership and maybe they get lucky running a computer diagnostic and find something or if they check your Commander's computer and come up with a trouble code where they can pin it down to something specific.

Other than that, you can only eliminate the potential causes by going through them one at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-24-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in