Hemi Hydraulic engine cooling - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,635, Level: 31 Points: 2,635, Level: 31 Points: 2,635, Level: 31
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 140000
Hemi Hydraulic engine cooling

Wondering what controls the speed of the cooling fan on the Hemi. From what I'm reading it's not an electric fan like the 3.7 and 4.7. The high speed on the fan does not come on early enough and my head pressure for my A/C gets too high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr1340 View Post
Wondering what controls the speed of the cooling fan on the Hemi. From what I'm reading it's not an electric fan like the 3.7 and 4.7. The high speed on the fan does not come on early enough and my head pressure for my A/C gets too high.
I'm wondering the same thing if anybody knows. My mother's Commander has good AC while it's moving but when it's at idle it's very hot. It seems to be a cooling fan issue and the fan does not speed up when turning the air conditioner on.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The Hemi Hydraulic Fan is driven by the Power Steering system, I suspect that is why the Commander stipulates a special hybrid Hydraulic/Power Steering fluid MS-10838 for the Power Steering.

So if you have a Hemi, definitely do NOT use some other PS fluid, get the correct MS-10838 fluid from the Dealer.

A hydro/electrical/mechanical switch likely controls the fan speed, the computer triggers a solenoid valve in the hydraulic fan to let more pressure into it to turn faster.

Obviously, as the hydraulic motor wears it will be less efficient at converting pressure into motion, just like when a pump wears it makes less pressure for the amount it turns, and the hydraulic motor is a pump in reverse and don't forget you need power from the PS pump that is working harder and wearing faster with the hydraulic driven fan.

Also, don't assume fans are the problem for AC, yes, they very well could be, but also having a slow leak and be low on refrigerant will cause the AC too cool less and it will be worse at a stop than moving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in