06 Fog Light Repair or Replacement - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
06 Fog Light Repair or Replacement

One of my fog lights has glazed over, I have tried using all the usual remedies the lens now feels smooth to the touch but is not clear. First if I spray the lens with clear coat will that make it shine? Do I need to replace the entire unit or just the lens? I have not tried loosing the screw at the top, will is this remove the lens or the whole unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Points: 7,139, Level: 55 Points: 7,139, Level: 55 Points: 7,139, Level: 55
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 88750
Garage
You can't just replace the lens unfortunately. The fog lights come in the housing unit. They are only about $30-40 for the pair.

With that said, this is a common issue with the XK. Make sure you have the correct bulbs. If they are not correct they will not seal the back of the housing and moisture/dirt can get into the fog light. Does your XK still have the small access panels in the wheel wall? If not this can cause more unwanted moisture behind there.

The screw on the top front just allows you to adjust the angle of the lights.

I suggest replacing the entire housing with checking all of the above prior to putting in the new one. Also, it doesn't hurt spraying your new housing with auto lens sealer front and back.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,649, Level: 95 Points: 24,649, Level: 95 Points: 24,649, Level: 95
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
I actually replaced both of my foglights about 6 or 7 months ago - and if I can do it - it's pretty straight forward.

The screw you can see on the outside actually has nothing to do with removing the fog-light housing. As Core said, the screw on the top front just allows you to adjust the angle of the lights - up or down. Everything you have to disconnect is behind the fog-light inside the bumper cover which you have to access through the wheel-well access panel.

As Core said, there is a small square access panel in the front of the wheel well, you'll have to cut your wheel all the way to the left or right to be able to get to it. It's a little bit of a pain to get to and a lot of it you have no choice but to do by feel - which makes it take a little longer than what it really should.

I would suggest just ordering a new set from the dealer, it's only about $100.00 for the set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-09-2016 at 05:26 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Thanks for the info, I may try to spray the lens first if that does not work, I will replace. I seldom use them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in