4WD / fdcm problem - need help/advice please - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,220, Level: 19 Points: 1,220, Level: 19 Points: 1,220, Level: 19
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 200000
4WD / fdcm problem - need help/advice please

Hi - I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm located in southern ontario, canada - in the Fergus / Elora area.

My 2006 commander was fine up until about 8 months ago -it is a low mileage (192,000 Km)vehicle - I had a Service 4WD System notice pop up on the dash - I didn't think much of it - we rarely if ever have used 4wd. So about a month ago I put the jeep in 4WD - it went in fine - I drove it a km or so - and tried to take it out of 4WD - well it would not come out - I drove it a short distance home - any further attempts to take it out of 4wd were fruitless. I tried checking any codes with an obd2 reader - and no codes were coming up. I did an internet search and tried pulling the #25 fuse to see if that would make a difference - and nothing.

I did some more internet searches and decided to try a new aftermarket transfer case motor -for 560.00 (dealer wanted 700 +) - and it made no difference - the jeep would not come out of 4wd - however I did have to rotate the shaft on the transfer case to accept the female input on the new transfer case motor - so the jeep came out of 4wd sort of - it no longer has the high revs for the 4wd low gearing - I can drive it at highway speeds but I can still tell it is somehow in 4wd by the way the jeep lugs (I have decided however not to drive it until I can fix it). I called the company (Dorman - very reputable) that makes the aftermarket transfer case motors - they agreed it could be a faulty new motor and agreed to replace it with another one for me - I tried it and again it made no difference.

I called my local jeep dealer - he checked the vin and said it had outstanding recalls - including 2 for the fdcm - so I had nothing to loose - I took it in and they did the updates free of charge - I thought maybe that would fix the problem. I asked them to troubleshoot the 4wd problem. And the tech said it is probably the fdcm - as he wasn't seeing a signal from it - "no output from 4wd module to actuate unlock" was the exact wording written on the repair notes. I have my doubts though as I sometimes do hear the transfer case motor clicking and trying to do something - what I don't exactly know. The dealer said he could bring me in a new fdcm - but they wouldn't guarantee it would fix the problem as I put in an aftermarket part - and that could short out the new fdcm - I wasn't too happy with that.

My next step was to call a wreckers and I found a used fdcm - the same one that is in my 2006 commander - P56044129AK for $ 185.00. So I bought that - and put it in - again no difference. I suppose there is a chance that the wreckers gave me a bad used fdcm - possible ??? I can take it back for a refund - but still have it for now.

So I'm somewhat stumped as to the problem - I'm no expert but not stupid either - I have spent 600 on the new transfer case motor, and the jeep dealer has about 150.00 of their time into it. I figure I have a few options left:

1 - call the dealer back - pay them 450.00 for a new fdcm and pray that is the problem

2 - go to a new dealer and get a second opinion

3 - learn more about the 4wd system - is there anything else partswise I'm missing here ?? - ie could something else be bad ?? - some switch in the transfer case or something else electrical ?

4 - find someone else who has a 2006 or 2007 commander and get them to try the fdcm I have from the wreckers - very simple to do - just unplug theirs and plug mine in to see if causes the same fault on their vehicle ( but then again I doubt anyone would help me as they would be afraid I would f*** up their commander). I don't want to buy a new fdcm for 450.00 if it is not the problem.

5 - find a 4wd specialty shop in southern ontario somewhere that are experts with jeeps - ie someone who knows their stuff and has experience.

6 - post this on jeepcommander.com and see if anyone else has similar problems.

That's the lowdown of the problem - any advice or input is greatly appreciated - I really would like to get the vehicle back on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,664, Level: 95 Points: 24,664, Level: 95 Points: 24,664, Level: 95
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
I'd go to another Jeep dealership and another diagnostic done before you spend money on anything else.

Getting that after market transfer case actuator motor probably wasn't the best move, but, I guess you're stuck with it now.

I'd always recommend getting factory OEM replacement parts, unless you just absolutely can't afford it.

Aftermarket parts are always going to be one of the first thing the dealership points to when they encounter a problem they're having trouble solving.

If the 2nd dealership recommends a new FDCM, then, you might have to bite the bullet and get one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Yes you are correct on not the best move for the transfer case motor big blue.

However in my defence I've read a few threads on how the dealerships said it was first the transfer case motor and then said the module needed replacement also - and unluckily for me there are no aftermarket modules out for the commander.

But thanks for your input - it is appreciated

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakercat View Post
Yes you are correct on not the best move for the transfer case motor big blue.

However in my defence I've read a few threads on how the dealerships said it was first the transfer case motor and then said the module needed replacement also - and unluckily for me there are no aftermarket modules out for the commander.

But thanks for your input - it is appreciated
Here is a link to a thread called P73 recall. If you go to page 4 you will see some posts about my transfer case actuator motor problem.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...-recall-4.html

To make a long story short back in September of 2014, I had a similar problem to yours except I was stuck in 4-HI and could not shift into 4-LOW and had the dreaded Service 4WD System message. The mechanic told me that my transfer case actuator motor was bad and had to be replaced, so $638.00 later it was replaced and the issue was fixed.

In March of 2015, Chrysler came out with the P73 campaign which is actually listed as REPROGRAM FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE in the form of a hyperlink on Chrysler's safety/recall website under Campaigns - not under safety recalls. If you were wondering, the difference between a safety recall and a campaign is this; a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern; a campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

When you click on the REPROGRAM FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE hyperlink, then the P73 customer satisfaction notice comes up which you can see below.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...8&d=1468831548

The P73 campaign is for all Commanders with Quadra-Trac II or Quadra-Drive II 4WD because both systems use the NV245 transfer case.

As it turns out, this campaign was actually the fix for the problem I had, which meant that I had paid for and replaced the transfer case actuator motor unnecessarily, so, I filed a claim for reimbursement with Chrysler and they paid it in only 2 weeks time.

I'm not saying that this is your problem, just sharing my experience with you since it's kind of similar to what you are going through.

Here is a link to Chrysler safety/recall website: http://recalls.mopar.com/

Just enter your VIN number and it will show you if you have any outstanding recalls or campaigns to be completed and what they are. It will also show you which ones have already been completed.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-31-2016 at 09:44 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

4WD
It is actually very close to the problem - that last post was very helpful - I checked out the recalls & campaigns -put in my vin and it shows that my commander just had the p73 reprogram (it also shows that on the w/o I have from the dealership) - but it made no difference - I'm wondering if the tech did it correctly ?? Hmmmmm

Mine is stuck in 4wd hi.

Glad to hear you were reimbursed for the motor - it was a few bucks.

I think it's time to bring it to a different dealer....maybe chrysler canada will reimburse me for the fdcm ....long shot....just be glad to have the vehicle 100% again.

Thanks big blue - very helpful.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Glad I could help moonrakercat.

There are alot of good people on this site that have helped me out since I've been here, so, I'm happy to pay it forward.

I think getting a 2nd opinion is definitely a good idea.

Here's one other thing that might be useful.

You can go the website URL below to get your Commander's factory build sheet - if you don't have one.

Dodge - Contact Us

Just go to the "Your Vehicle" tab, click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search".

The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built. It will also list all of your Commander's equipment specifications.

You can also order an owner's manual from this same website if your vehicle didn't come with a factory owner's manual.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-02-2016 at 01:16 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Ok - update for anyone interested - or for anyone who searches this thread with a similar problem - I took it to another dealer for a second opinion - and the tech was very thorough -- he found broken wire in the harness from the fdcm that goes through the floor - at the grommet going through the floor of course - he soldered a new piece in and all is now fixed - who would have guessed. I had all the symptoms of a different problem and it turned out to be a broken wire. My commander only has 195,000 km on it - not alot - and this is the 3rd set of broken wires that have been found that have given me problems.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakercat View Post
Ok - update for anyone interested - or for anyone who searches this thread with a similar problem - I took it to another dealer for a second opinion - and the tech was very thorough -- he found broken wire in the harness from the fdcm that goes through the floor - at the grommet going through the floor of course - he soldered a new piece in and all is now fixed - who would have guessed. I had all the symptoms of a different problem and it turned out to be a broken wire. My commander only has 195,000 km on it - not alot - and this is the 3rd set of broken wires that have been found that have given me problems.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.
That's awesome, I was hoping another dealership might be more thorough with their troubleshooting efforts.

Glad you were able to get it ironed out.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 10:08 PM
Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Trim Package: Limited
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Hey Moonraker, Thanks for the follow-up too often once the problem is fixed the original poster forgets that there are many now and in the future who would benefit from a solution. Keep watching and posting and we will all learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in