Heater/AC Issue - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Heater/AC Issue

I bought my girlfriend a commander a few months ago. We love that freaking thing. I seem to have one issue though that is starting to drive me crazy. Its listed below.

The AC/Heat will only work a certain amount of time. What happens is when you start the car initially, the AC/Heat/Vents work fantastic, no complaints. And it will work headstrong for awhile, but normally if you are in the car from 1.5-3hours straight. Or with limited times to "cool down" the vents will just stop working. No air what to ever will come out of it. You hear the blower motor on, and you can turn it up and down, and the fan speed changes. But regardless, no air what so ever will come out of the vents. I can change it from head, to head/feet, to feet and nothing will happen. The only way to get it to come back is turn the car off, no just the vents for about 30min.

I should also add that even when its working, the vents work poorly. When you have them at full blast its not at a "dry-your-eyes-out" heat. Its just enough to warm your hands up.

The defroster will still work though, but that is a entirely different system I believe.

The third row works, no problem. No issue there.

So I was curious... is this a blower motor, or something else that is going bad? It just seems that it "overheats" and all of the vents get shut off. Wasn't sure what to do. Any advice/diagrams would be great. I have googled this problem a few times and it seems as if I am the only person to have it.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,764, Level: 95 Points: 24,764, Level: 95 Points: 24,764, Level: 95
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but, it could be a vacuum problem of some type.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Points: 4,070, Level: 40 Points: 4,070, Level: 40 Points: 4,070, Level: 40
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 110000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but, it could be a vacuum problem of some type.

Wasnt their a common problem with the "Blend door" on a lot of the xk's, its possible yours is getting stuck in some closed position. when the air stops, does the fan actually become silent? its possible the blower resistor is failing.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksr123 View Post
No air what to ever will come out of it. You hear the blower motor on, and you can turn it up and down, and the fan speed changes. But regardless, no air what so ever will come out of the vents. I can change it from head, to head/feet, to feet and nothing will happen. The only way to get it to come back is turn the car off, no just the vents for about 30min.

I should also add that even when its working, the vents work poorly. When you have them at full blast its not at a "dry-your-eyes-out" heat. Its just enough to warm your hands up.

The defroster will still work though, but that is a entirely different system I believe.

The third row works, no problem. No issue there.

So I was curious... is this a blower motor, or something else that is going bad? It just seems that it "overheats" and all of the vents get shut off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06hemixk View Post
Wasnt their a common problem with the "Blend door" on a lot of the xk's, its possible yours is getting stuck in some closed position. when the air stops, does the fan actually become silent? its possible the blower resistor is failing.
I think this rules out blower resistor because he said the blower motor keeps running when the problem occurs.

Still sounds to me like a vacuum issue of some sort, seems he is losing vacuum pressure somewhere when the engine gets hot.

Since it takes quite a bit of driving for him to see the full symptoms, I'd guess it is a small/slow vacuum leak.

Again, this is just speculation on my part - but it makes sense to me.

Could also be an issue with the blend door as 06hemixk pointed out.

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-10-2016 at 07:26 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

I would run a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) test with the A/C system and see what codes, if any, come up and then go from there. The test is run right from the dash panel without any needed equipment. I will give you the steps how to do this but you will need to post the code that comes up because there are too many codes to list on here. It could be anything form the Blend Doors to the Sun Sensor but hopefully we can isolate something for you

1. Turn the ignition to the On position.
2. Turn the blower motor control to the ON position.
3. Press the A/C mode switch (A/C button with the snow flake) down, turn the blower motor control to the OFF position, wait until both LEDs illuminate (approximately 5 seconds) and then release the A/C switch. If there are active or stored DTCs to display, the A/C status indicator (Yellow light on the snow flake button) will begin to flash. If there are no active or stored DTCs to display, the LEDs on the A/C-heater control will turn off and the system will automatically exit the mode of operation.
4. To manually exit Display DTC Mode, either turn the ignition off or disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery

Here is how you will read the code that is displayed.

Active and stored DTCs for the MTC system have an assigned code number. The A/C status indicator flashes in a series of pulses to display the code numbers. Each pulse has an indicator on time of 0.5 seconds. The tens unit value is flashed first followed by the ones unit value. A 2.0 second indicator off-time separates the unit values. When displaying multiple DTCs, the A/C status indicator will go off for five seconds before displaying the next DTC. After displaying all DTC's, the sequence will repeat until exiting Display DTC Mode. Just push the A/C button to exit the diagnostic mode.

Sorry if I made it to elementary (yellow light, snow flake...) I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

Good luck
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

I do not think that its the resistor... that is one of the first things that I looked at, or thought of. Because I have heard of a lot of XKs with that particular issue. Of course the one I buy, has a problem that not many people have ever had. Haha, just my luck...

I will try to A/C code trick next time I get a chance and update this thread. It might be awhile since I will be out of town for the next few days. How could I look at a vacuum leak? That does make sense in my slightly basic mechanical mind... engine gets hot = any air out the vents stops. I have also had the notion that it is the "damper" motor getting hot, and when it gets hot it closes and does not allow air out the vents.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Points: 4,070, Level: 40 Points: 4,070, Level: 40 Points: 4,070, Level: 40
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 110000
Shouldn't vacuum increase with engine rpm? If so i dont think it would just lose it over time as the engine continued to run. Unless the Leak got worse as a result of temperature.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 11:24 PM
Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

Any update on this? Been on 3hours travel the other day and the A/C stops blowing 2.5hours. Working fine for an hour travel. I'll look on the resistor first.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06hemixk View Post
Shouldn't vacuum increase with engine rpm? If so i dont think it would just lose it over time as the engine continued to run. Unless the Leak got worse as a result of temperature.
That's what I was thinking.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporty92 View Post
Any update on this? Been on 3hours travel the other day and the A/C stops blowing 2.5hours. Working fine for an hour travel. I'll look on the resistor first.
I have no update from it. I was working on it the other day, changing spark plugs and oil and I looked under the hood as much as possible and could not find anything. GF took it on a trip yesterday and drove 4 hours straight and the same thing happened.

Yea, the whole "messing up because of heat thing" makes sense to me but I do not know where to start. What resistor are you all thinking it might be? This issue is starting to really bug me... I have thought about taking it to the stealership. But last time I did that for this reason they wanted to point out 100 other things with the Jeep. But said the AC/Blower all worked fine. So I have no clue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in