Real world milage/ reliability - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Real world milage/ reliability

Guys, I am considering a commander to replace my XJ cherokee but have seen some conflicting reports as to the MPG. What are you actually getting? Not what the sticker says which seems to be a little overly optomistic.

How reliable are they actually? Im a jeep guy and I know they're never perfect but the problems section of the forum has me a little freaked about buying one. Seems like lots of water leaks, I already have that with the cherokee and dont want to really fight that fight again.

Any honest advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Points: 3,672, Level: 38 Points: 3,672, Level: 38 Points: 3,672, Level: 38
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

Even tho we in this forum, you will see that we like to show the good things about the XK, the mods, and what we like, keep in mind that most people go to a forum looking for a solution on a problem that they may have.

As far as MPG, I think I am one of the lucky one, my MPG is 23-24 MPG on the highway city is way low, I would say about 18, but I do have a K&N intake, and Gibson catback 4.7L V8, also, I'm still on the fronteras, some of the comments you see are people are from people running bigger tires

Reliability, I haven't have mayor problems yet, other than the wind noise fron the windshield when going over 45, and the dealer took care of that under warranty, other than that, every now and then I get a hard down shift from the tranny, not that often, but I will have the dealer take a look soon.

Yeah, there are some people that have had some problems with it, but I realy like my XK, and I'm glad I got it, go for it, I think you will end up liking it too...

4.7L, QT-II, Old Man Emu 2" Lift, 1.5" wheel spacer (spidertrax), rear grab handles, front tow hooks, cross bars, no 3rd row seat, Alpine - Type-S 6" x 9" 3-Way 260w peak power (85w RMS), Alpine - 6-1/2" 2-Way 300 watts peak power (100 watts RMS) , Pioneer AVIC Z2 with CD-DVD-MP3 player, Bluetooth, backup camera, GPS, iPod controller, K&N intake, Gibson Cat Back, Cobra 29 night watch CB radio, with Wilson 5000 Antenna. Stage 2 Jet Chip, Grill Guard, Lower Crome Facia, More to come...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Points: 5,134, Level: 45 Points: 5,134, Level: 45 Points: 5,134, Level: 45
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

14k on odometer. 2007 3.7 V6. 13.9 city and 19.5 hwy.Reliability very good so far.-43

2007 Commander Sport, Lt Graystone Pearlcoat
1999 Ford Crown Vic Interceptor,black
1999 Buick Regal LS

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

3.7L 2006 Base Model w/K&N CAI, NGK Platinum plugs.

I've gotten between 21 and 24 MGP on highway trips. 16 to 18 MPG around town. I guess it varies with the temperature/seasonal gas mixtures.

Very reliable so far at only 20K miles. It does have a few interior rattles that irritate me. My 2000 WJ, for 6 years and ~150K miles had not a single interior rattle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 Commander Base Dark Khaki |
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Points: 5,718, Level: 48 Points: 5,718, Level: 48 Points: 5,718, Level: 48
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallycustom View Post
Guys, I am considering a commander to replace my XJ cherokee but have seen some conflicting reports as to the MPG. What are you actually getting? Not what the sticker says which seems to be a little overly optomistic.

How reliable are they actually? Im a jeep guy and I know they're never perfect but the problems section of the forum has me a little freaked about buying one. Seems like lots of water leaks, I already have that with the cherokee and dont want to really fight that fight again.

Any honest advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

I picked up an '08 a couple of weeks ago, off the show room floor.

Thru rainstorms and car washes, no leaks so far.

City/highway is 19.7 mpg combined with 3.7 six banger and full time 4wd; a lot of that was last week on two lane blacktops thru Indiana and Ohio, hills, inclement weather. The 3.7 obviously no hemi, but the vehicle has no trouble keeping up with traffic .

However, build quality seems to be fine - no leaks, squeaks, rattles, misformed or out of alignment body panels. Paint is good.

More wind noise than I would expect at 65 mph, but nothing objectionable - esp. since I came from the TJ . Tires aren't especially noisy, but on some surfaces they make their presence known.

Radio system decent (I've the basic model stock speakers); nothing that will knock your socks off, but it's not bad. I've fallen in love with the SAT radio.

It's certainly early days for me on this vehicle, but so far I'm massively pleased. It does appear some of the work that I normally do myself (i.e., changing spark plugs) will be more difficult than on the TJ.

The manual on the '08 recommends oil changes at 6,000 miles, but it seems most here on the forum change oil at 3,000 when using conventional. Oil changes look like they are easily done w/o using jack stands.

Maybe someone with lots of mileage could chime in?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
This question has been beat around for the past three years and you will still not get a solid answer, it depends on your engine size, driving condition, fuel you burn, modifications to your XK, personal driving habits, etc.

I get 13.5 to 18 depending on which way the wind blows.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
I found this site on my smart forum, maybe a few more of us can register here and input our Commander stats:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/commander

It would help when others ask this same question and we could refer them to this site.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Points: 2,895, Level: 32 Points: 2,895, Level: 32 Points: 2,895, Level: 32
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%

I have an 06 Limited with the Hemi and QDII. I get about 12 around town and 15-18 hwy depending on speed. As far as reliability I havent had any major issues just had to get a re-flash because of a service 4WD message. I did buy mine used about 4 months or so ago though so no long term info for you.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

thanks

Thanks guys

I understand that there are different variables affecting the mileage of the vehicles so maybe other members that respond will put there vehicle info down such as engine, drive train, lift or not, tire size and year. This may help to keep track of differences in the types of commanders. It would also help me and others to make a better choice on what kind of commander we would like to buy.

I have always been a Jeep guy but am seriously considering a Tahoe because of their stellar reliability reports and generally favorable MPG in reviews. What do you think?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Points: 3,672, Level: 38 Points: 3,672, Level: 38 Points: 3,672, Level: 38
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallycustom View Post
Thanks guys

I understand that there are different variables affecting the mileage of the vehicles so maybe other members that respond will put there vehicle info down such as engine, drive train, lift or not, tire size and year. This may help to keep track of differences in the types of commanders. It would also help me and others to make a better choice on what kind of commander we would like to buy.

I have always been a Jeep guy but am seriously considering a Tahoe because of their stellar reliability reports and generally favorable MPG in reviews. What do you think?

That may be the wrong question in the forum as most people here realy like the XK, some people have 2 or are on their second as they have upgrated.

As far as my XK, I have the 4.7 Flex fuel, QT-II, Old Man Suspention, fronteras, normaly drive 60-65 MPH on the highway.

4.7L, QT-II, Old Man Emu 2" Lift, 1.5" wheel spacer (spidertrax), rear grab handles, front tow hooks, cross bars, no 3rd row seat, Alpine - Type-S 6" x 9" 3-Way 260w peak power (85w RMS), Alpine - 6-1/2" 2-Way 300 watts peak power (100 watts RMS) , Pioneer AVIC Z2 with CD-DVD-MP3 player, Bluetooth, backup camera, GPS, iPod controller, K&N intake, Gibson Cat Back, Cobra 29 night watch CB radio, with Wilson 5000 Antenna. Stage 2 Jet Chip, Grill Guard, Lower Crome Facia, More to come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in