Need HELP...my manhood is in jeopardy! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Need HELP...my manhood is in jeopardy!

The wife and I are expecting child #2 here shortly, and now she wants to trade in the Commander and get a ...the Honda Odyssey.

Her reasoning is that it would be a real hassle for people getting into the third row seating with 2 carseats in the middle row. Are there any tricks to the trade, does the middle seat comeout, or any info that I can sell to her that would help her change her mind?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Remind her that the kids are not always young and the Commadner is a long term investment. Also consider the economy and effects of trading a low demande vehicle in the current climate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Tell her that dealing with the hassle is worth it considering the bath you would take on trading it in. Make an appeal to her economic side...

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Also point out that having 4 wheel drive is a good thing to have for the safety of your kids. Being in the windy city and all. the snow
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Points: 2,393, Level: 29 Points: 2,393, Level: 29 Points: 2,393, Level: 29
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

I feel for you. I came from an 03 Town and Country before my Commander. The van drove great and had a lot of great options, but I counted the days until I could get the Commander. I had an 01 GC before the van. I cannot imagine going from a Commander to a van.

I also have two kids. I argued that we needed 4X4 to be safe. I live in Indiana and I had the van stuck more than a few times on our roads. I would also explain that you won't gain any seating. It is difficult for someone to get into our backseats, but in the last 18 month my rear seats have been used three times. I don't know how many times you haul extra passengers. The economic argument is good too. Stand your ground. When you get worn down, just picture your friends making fun of you. "Hey soccerdad, are your driving?"
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Points: 5,480, Level: 47 Points: 5,480, Level: 47 Points: 5,480, Level: 47
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

Heck, get a new wife, LOL. My wife wanted to get the Commander because she's worried that if we have twins in addition to our current 2 yr old, she wanted to have enough room. We traded up from her JK Renegade, it's suited us well. No way I'd go to a minivan, trading in a Commander now that was purchased new is economic suicide. Driving a minivan would make you want real suicide. JMHO
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

I think the economics alone would kill the idea.
Frankly, with the trade beating you would take you'd probably be better off adding a vehicle, rather than trading.
And as rockymountain said, even with front drive those things get stuck pretty easy.
I live next door in Desplaines so you and I experience the same weather.
Do you really find yourself hauling other adults?
If so, I don't think they'll want to join you again once they've experienced the third row.
Best of luck on this one, but sadly the emotional mind(FEMALE) rarely can see the black and white logic(MALE)
And please ladies, that is not a knock on you. Men and Women rarely see things of this nature from the same angle.

Good luck on this one, Stretch, but I think your odds of success are currently the same as the Cubby's,
....Rob
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

I totally agree with almost everyone here. This is NOT the time to consider going 'upside down' on your vehicle. If she wants the minivan, let her have it...but don't bother considering 'trade-in'. You're just ready to be laughed at. Anything considered to roll to a dealership and be a 'trade-in', ...you'll lose every time. The demand for even a used SUV is not really out there these days, so you'll get jipped. Keep your guard up, and factor in the reliability you'll need to drive around in the windy city. I haven't exactly driven around there, but have had friends from there complain bout driving in the winter. That's prob why I live down south...way south . I'm happy w/ my RWD XK...well, it's the 'WIFEY'S' ride, but it's under my name...heh.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

Not to be a downer, but if the commander is your primary transportation and you would be hauling your children and other people, she's right. A minivan is much better suited. I like the Jeep, I do, but man, Minivans are practical. The commander isn't really children friendly. Lack of rear seat legroom, minimal entry space on the 2nd row floor, and high entry height don't mix well with children, or adults needing to ride back there.

Also, you can lord having to give up your Jeep over her for quite some time.

Last edited by RedCommander; 10-03-2008 at 05:39 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCommander View Post
Not to be a downer, but if the commander is your primary transportation and you would be hauling your children and other people, she's right. A minivan is much better suited. I like the Jeep, I do, but man, Minivans are practical. The commander isn't really children friendly. Lack of rear seat legroom, minimal entry space on the 2nd row floor, and high entry height don't mix well with children, or adults needing to ride back there.

Also, you can lord having to give up your Jeep over her for quite some time.
I am a Mr. Mom and I haul around my 4 kids with my CJ just fine. I had a mini van before and there is not that much difference.

Last edited by UberCommander; 10-04-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in