Stalling when in Drive - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: No
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Stalling when in Drive

Hello everyone, so what I thought was fixed appears to be back....
Vehicle:2006 Commander 5.7L limited 4x4 141k miles purchased used at 139k miles (it was at a good price).
Problem: when in drive and coming to a complete stop after having been moving forward the Jeep stalls and engine dies or rpm starts to fluxuate between 550rpm (normal) to 300rpm then back to 550rpm (and it does this cycle a few times until I drive or put t in nuetral). In park the vehicle acts fine, in neutral after having driven it , it acts fine. But if I was driving and catch a red light I put it in neutral, the Jeep acts normal as soon as I put it in drive it either wants to stall or start the drop in rpm dance. If I am driving catch a red light and come to a complete stop it will stall or do the rpm dance. If I quickly step on the gas during the rpm fluctuations it will drive and not stall. This is also not an every day or every stop event.
Troubleshooting so far: I noticed a week or two ago my trans fluid was low, I added two quarts of the correct fluid (did everything per the manual, and it seemed fine up until the last few days the problem seems to be back). I changed the ignition switch and vehicle has had ignition assembly recall completed before I bought it. I also think this normally happens when the vehicle is cold or just being started after sitting for a while (motor off). Thoughts? I have researched the forums and tried what others suggested (even replaced the battery as that helped someone once before). Open to suggestions. Thanks. Let me know if I forgot to add a detail that would help you guys out in diagnosing the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:54 PM
Points: 928, Level: 16 Points: 928, Level: 16 Points: 928, Level: 16
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%

Own a Commander?: Yes
2WD
Yup my Commander, same year, same specs, does exactly the same thing. I just got a P0404 yesterday and the EGR valve is suspect. I am not sure if the two are related or not. I have not done the recall on the ignition switch yet but it sounds like that is not the culprit based on your experience.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:10 PM
Banned
Points: 1,575, Level: 22 Points: 1,575, Level: 22 Points: 1,575, Level: 22
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%

The crank and cam sensors can cause this kind of fluctuation.
At least the 3.7 & 4.7 have the same issue, best I heard is low transmission fluid, possible torque converter problem, and the cam and crank starting to send faulty signals. No idea if this is correct. Nobody seems to have a definitive solution to this issue

If you do replace those sensors everyone seems to agree OEM mopar are better than the made in china aftermarket parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:04 PM
Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
If adding to the transmission fluid, helped for a while, I would consider changing both transmission filters and see what happens.
jeep5253 likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,287, Level: 94 Points: 24,287, Level: 94 Points: 24,287, Level: 94
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek View Post
If adding to the transmission fluid, helped for a while, I would consider changing both transmission filters and see what happens.
Could be the transmission pan is leaking fluid and needs to be re-sealed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-18-2017 at 04:22 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Own a Commander?: No
2WD
To give an update: as the summer months have kicked in I have yet to have any issues. I put it on a lift and everything looked great under the Commander. Pan was not leaking or seeping and everything was plugged in. I will see what happens this winter if it comes back. If it comes back in the winter I will start replacing sensors as one will most likely be fault with the cold dropping the resistance maybe?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,287, Level: 94 Points: 24,287, Level: 94 Points: 24,287, Level: 94
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCoffee View Post
To give an update: as the summer months have kicked in I have yet to have any issues. I put it on a lift and everything looked great under the Commander. Pan was not leaking or seeping and everything was plugged in. I will see what happens this winter if it comes back. If it comes back in the winter I will start replacing sensors as one will most likely be fault with the cold dropping the resistance maybe?
BC, glad to hear your XK is running fine again.

When you were having these problems, was it generating any DTC's at all?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 03:52 PM
Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 124000
This can be caused by the rubber seal on the transmission filter where it plugs into the transmission valve body. If the seal is bad or if an aftermarket filter kit has been installed many of the aftermarket seals are not very flexible and will leak. If this seal leaks the transmission will not fully disengage when coming to a stop and cause the engine to stall. This problem is more prevalent when the weather is cold or the engine/transmission fluid is cold as the seals are more prone to leaking when the seal material is cold and less flexible. Sometimes the problem will go away when everything is warmed up, sometimes not. Also there have been cases where the transmission filter bodies can separate at the seam and the same problem will result. Chrysler had a batch of bad filters a while ago that cause similar issues.

I had this exact same problem on A Dodge pickup that had the same 545rfe transmission as the Commander - it took me a very long time to figure out what was happening. I had changed the transmission filter with an aftermarket filter kit and it was the seal in the kit that caused the problem. The kit had a seal that was much less flexible and was made from a much harder durometer material than the OEM seal.

Dan

Last edited by bdalameda; 05-29-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in