Another Set Back... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By TwoBobsXK
  • 1 Post By jeep5253

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,198, Level: 18 Points: 1,198, Level: 18 Points: 1,198, Level: 18
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Another Set Back...

Ugh... Fixed all of the exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets with all new OEM equipment and installed the flowmaster and everything was gearing toward moving on to the next step in the steel bumper and Yakima MegaWarrior LED project.

However, I drove the XK to the office last Friday and everything was as normal until I began heading home. I got less than 2 miles from the office when check gauges was displayed and the temp gauge was on the H. Immediately shut the truck off and let it cool. Went to Autozone after it cooled down to check the radiator and it was only about a quarter gallon short, but the overflow box was bone dry. There was some liquid on the front side of the motor and the belt, but not much. After topping off the radiator and filling the overflow about 3/4 full the truck idled for about 15 minutes and never got hot again. The overflow was empty at the end of that time period so I put another 3/4 in the overflow. Made the drive home and it seemed fine.

The guy at the parts store has a Durango with the same 4.7L and told me that the thermostat may have just stuck and that's what made it run hot, but I'm still unsure what's actually wrong. I'm afraid to drive the truck again until I can get some advice from you all. What would cause this? Is he on to something with the thermostat? I did notice the center pulley (middle of the front of the motor) is wobbling a bit and there is some red / brown liquid on the belt which matches the fluid in various other parts which I assume is from the radiator?! Although, it looks and feels like motor oil to the touch. Any ideas? Any more info needed?

Thanks for any help you all can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,692, Level: 95 Points: 24,692, Level: 95 Points: 24,692, Level: 95
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
The thermostat should be cheap enough to replace and that might not be a bad place to start.

However, when you start talking about a wobbling pulley with over-heating problems - and my mind immediately jumps to a failing water pump. I had that happen to me on an old 95 Grand Cherokee Sport - the bearings inside the pulley on the water pump went bad causing me to overheat - but because the bearings in the pulley went bad, it was also making a noticeable whining noise, so, I don't know.

I'd definitely give that water-pump a good once-over though, and if nothing else - eliminate it as a possible cause.

I have a 4.7L XK - but unfortunately, I'm back overseas again so, I can't pop the hood and try and figure out exactly what pulley you are talking about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-07-2017 at 07:25 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:33 PM
Points: 7,337, Level: 56 Points: 7,337, Level: 56 Points: 7,337, Level: 56
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 3500
Garage
If you want to try the water pump gimme a heads up, i saved my water pump before i sent my engine off to get my core charge back. It only had 100k miles on it, and If you're willing to pay shipping I'll just send it to you.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 133,000
That center pulley is the water pump - and if it's wobbling then it is most likely a goner.

The coolant/antifreeze should ONLY be HOAT-type coolant - universal coolants or any other type is no good in the 3.7/4.7 engine family. The cooling system in these engines cause a reaction in non-HOAT coolant that causes the impeller on the water pump to basically melt away and sludge buildup in the coolant jackets and radiator.

O'Reilly's and NAPA sell Zerex GO5 coolant that is a HOAT-type antifreeze so it is readily available. For reference, Ford and I believe BMW also use HOAT coolant so it is not a rare or unusual product.

Since the engine got that hot, since the water pump looks like it needs replaced go ahead and replace the fluid with Zerex or Mopar fluid to top fill it back up - and though it sounds like overkill a cooling system flush at the dealer would get all the old fluid out. Believe it or not, the cooling system flush service at the dealer is surprisingly inexpensive. And their machine does a complete flush rather than just a top-off. And you're sure to get the proper fluid put in.

Bob
Big Blue likes this.

2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Tow Package, SuperChips tuner, Full Skids, RER MyGIG Upgrade. OME HD Springs w/ Bilstein 4600 shocks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsXK View Post
That center pulley is the water pump - and if it's wobbling then it is most likely a goner.

The coolant/antifreeze should ONLY be HOAT-type coolant - universal coolants or any other type is no good in the 3.7/4.7 engine family. The cooling system in these engines cause a reaction in non-HOAT coolant that causes the impeller on the water pump to basically melt away and sludge buildup in the coolant jackets and radiator.

O'Reilly's and NAPA sell Zerex GO5 coolant that is a HOAT-type antifreeze so it is readily available. For reference, Ford and I believe BMW also use HOAT coolant so it is not a rare or unusual product.

Since the engine got that hot, since the water pump looks like it needs replaced go ahead and replace the fluid with Zerex or Mopar fluid to top fill it back up - and though it sounds like overkill a cooling system flush at the dealer would get all the old fluid out. Believe it or not, the cooling system flush service at the dealer is surprisingly inexpensive. And their machine does a complete flush rather than just a top-off. And you're sure to get the proper fluid put in.

Bob
That confirms my suspicion then.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information, fellas. Huge help. Okay, so based on what you all say it seems the water pump is definitely bad as it is wobbling and the belt is now making a slight noise when I cranked it last. I'll have it replaced.

Based on the specific coolant needed I have another question. I had the exhaust manifold work done recently and they said they topped off the coolant while the truck was being serviced. Is it possible this issue was created by the use of the incorrect coolant? Or should I just write this off as an XK with 168k and bite the bullet?

Seems some mixed info is out there on the actual parts I need for this job. Can someone point me in the right direction with the actual OEM part number for this pump? Also, I plan to do this myself at my dads Toyota place as I just don't trust anyone to work on this thing anymore. Fairly simple job? Anything I need to know before tackling this repair, like replacing this or that while I'll be in there anyway? How much fluid is needed to do a flush. And do you mean drain and fill? or is there something that actually removes all the fluid? Sorry for the N00b questions, but I've been a Toyota / Lexus guy from day one and this was my first Mopar vehicle purchased back in 2006 new and this is the first major issue I've had outside of the preventative maintenance and exhaust manifold work.

SHM42, thanks for the offer, but these are so cheap I'll just take the new route. Really appreciate it!

Again, thanks so much for the information. Saves me a lot of guessing and nonsense from the dealer / local shops.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Points: 3,844, Level: 39 Points: 3,844, Level: 39 Points: 3,844, Level: 39
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 99,000
Garage
Lightbulb Coolant

As I understand it any coolant will mix with the HOAT COOLANT, but will break it down over time and you will start to see corrosion where there has not been any and should not be any. If you had the coolant topped off not to long ago then that should not have done any damage yet, it would probably take upwards of 1 1/2 years, that is saying that there was full concentrate HOAT COOLANT in it at the time of the addition. The best bet at this time might be to change the pump, thermostat, and have the whole system flushed as if this is a new car to you ,you are unsure of what is in it and if nothing this would be PEACE OF MIND knowing that there should not be any Germlins down the road.

Swanny

Last edited by 2010 inferno; 05-10-2017 at 05:34 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:44 PM
Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandingtheTrail View Post
Based on the specific coolant needed I have another question. I had the exhaust manifold work done recently and they said they topped off the coolant while the truck was being serviced. Is it possible this issue was created by the use of the incorrect coolant? Or should I just write this off as an XK with 168k and bite the bullet?
It is possible that your water pump was just worn out from use. But the wrong coolant WILL have an adverse affect on the water pump and coolant system. Read this thread about using the correct coolant for the Commander.---> https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/9422-what-correct-coolant-commander-8.html

TwoBobsXK likes this.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, thank you! Okay, so new water pump, thermostat belt and I'll replace radiator hose too as it's cheap and shows some spew signs from god knows where around where it meets the motor and it's original to the XK. Should I replace anything else? Radiator? AC Compressor? Alternator? I want to be done with all maintenance for the next year + as I will be moving forward with the superlift, steel bumpers and LED rack project after this is all done.

Really wish I had the money to just say **** it and throw a 6.1 Hemi under the hood and be done with the mechanical worries of a truck with 170k, lol.

Thanks again for the posts. I'll fish around the site for the part numbers as I'm sure they're out there.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandingtheTrail View Post
Awesome, thank you! Okay, so new water pump, thermostat belt and I'll replace radiator hose too as it's cheap and shows some spew signs from god knows where around where it meets the motor and it's original to the XK. Should I replace anything else? Radiator? AC Compressor? Alternator? I want to be done with all maintenance for the next year + as I will be moving forward with the superlift, steel bumpers and LED rack project after this is all done.

Really wish I had the money to just say **** it and throw a 6.1 Hemi under the hood and be done with the mechanical worries of a truck with 170k, lol.

Thanks again for the posts. I'll fish around the site for the part numbers as I'm sure they're out there.
No Worries. Happy to help. Keep us posted with how it goes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in