Jeep Commander Rock Sliders currently on the market; - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Points: 24,609, Level: 95 Points: 24,609, Level: 95 Points: 24,609, Level: 95
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Question Jeep Commander Rock Sliders currently on the market;

So, putting on a quality set of steel rock sliders to replace the crap factory plastic ones is my next planned mod;

I REALLY like the Steel Armadillo super rock sliders - but their website says they are out of stock.

http://thesteelarmadillo.com/cart.ph...&product_id=76

These are the other options I've found;

JBA / 4xGuard; Jeep Commander XK rock rails

justforjeeps; Jeep Commander Rock Rails – Mopar #82209896 #82209896-ship

Rocky Road Outfitters; Commander Rockrails / Rock Sliders / Rocker panel protection

I'm not really fond of any of these, but, I'm leaning towards the rock rails that justforjeeps is selling - mainly because they are made by MOPAR.

Anybody know of any other options out there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-13-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:59 PM
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 133,000
Can't speak specifically to the 4X Guard rock sliders for the XK, but I have a friend who's installed their sliders on his KJ.

They are built REALLY well and fit perfectly - and they stand up to serious abuse as well. He's used them as a fulcrum to get up and over rocks and they don't deform or bend and did exactly what they're designed to do - protect the rocker panels.

I'm sure Marlin at JBA wouldn't build the XK version more cheaply than the KJ version.

Bob

2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Tow Package, SuperChips tuner, Full Skids, RER MyGIG Upgrade. OME HD Springs w/ Bilstein 4600 shocks
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsXK View Post
Can't speak specifically to the 4X Guard rock sliders for the XK, but I have a friend who's installed their sliders on his KJ.

They are built REALLY well and fit perfectly - and they stand up to serious abuse as well. He's used them as a fulcrum to get up and over rocks and they don't deform or bend and did exactly what they're designed to do - protect the rocker panels.

I'm sure Marlin at JBA wouldn't build the XK version more cheaply than the KJ version.

Bob
I love my JBA/4xGuard UCA's & Ball Joints as well as my 4xGuard rear differential cover.

By and large, I am a big fan of their products.

Now that being said, I've looked into the 4xGuard rock sliders and the research I've done thus far is a little disappointing.

As far as I know, the rock sliders 4XGuard is selling for the XK were actually designed for the WK, so there are some fitment issues on the XK - gaps and what not.

You can read/see specifically what I'm referring to in these 2 threads below;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...-guard-hc.html

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...e-today-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid
t's tough to get a good shot of the mounting locations, but I've tried to do so. Here's the rear end of the Side Guard, showing not only the aforementioned "gap" due to it being designed to mesh with the WK body, but also the 6 bolts that go into the body and are hidden by the doors. The holes for these "top" bolts have to be drilled, just like they are on the WK. This picture also shows how well the guard works as a step:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon
Sorry to take so long getting back.

Anywho, here are a few more shots. Don't mind the salt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253
They don't fit properly because they are made for the Grand Cherokee not the Commander.
I know it seems silly Bob - but that kind of a sloppy fit would REALLY bother me.

As far as I know, (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) 4xGuard has not re-designed their rock sliders specifically for the XK - they are still selling the rock sliders that were designed for the WK for the XK, which is why I'm probably going to steer clear of them.

So right now I'm a little torn between the MOPAR rock rails & the Rocky Road rock rails - unless Steel Armadillo gets some more in stock.

Thanks again Bob.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-14-2017 at 03:22 AM.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
UPDATE: So after digging deeper and reading through this 18 page soap opera;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ard-hc-17.html

I found out that 4xGuard did re-design their rock sliders specifically for the XK - back in June of 2010 - but the last update in that thread said there was some sort of manufacturing error that needed to be corrected.

The guy providing the updates/information "El Cid" who was a family member (son of Russ and Anita) of the folks over at 4xGuard at the time - suddenly became an employee of 4xGuard, and couldn't post any further updates.

I'm assuming - in large part based on JBA/4xGuard's reputation - that 7 years later, that manufacturing error has long since been corrected.

But I guess just to be sure, I'll reach out to JBA/4xGuard and call/e-mail them about it.

I'll post an update with what I find out.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-14-2017 at 12:07 PM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 12:31 PM
Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
I'm assuming - in large part based on JBA/4xGuard's reputation - that 7 years later, that manufacturing error has long since been corrected.

But I guess just to be sure, I'll reach out to JBA/4xGuard and call/e-mail them about it.

I'll post an update with what I find out.
Just go to the website---> 4xGuard Jeep Commander Rock Rails

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
Just go to the website---> 4xGuard Jeep Commander Rock Rails
As you can see from this quote of my initial post - obviously, I've done that already.

However, I want some reassurance from someone working at the company that the manufacturing problem has been corrected - so if I get it and there is a problem with it, I won't have an issue returning it.

I have not seen any recent posts from anybody here who has ordered these from rock rails from JBA/4xGuard in recent years - all the posts I've read are from 7 or more years ago when there were still problems with them.

If I'm going to spend $700.00 on a part, I want to be damn sure it fits without any issues.

I've already e-mailed them, I'm just waiting for a response, so I have something in writing if there's a problem.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-14-2017 at 02:55 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
As you can see from my initial post - obviously I did that already.
Sorry, I missed that.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
Sorry, I missed that.
No worries, things happen.

If I could just find someone who bought them recently and could give a little feedback, I'd feel a lot better about pulling the trigger.

Short of that, I'll just have to wait to hear back from JBA/4xGuard.
jeep5253 likes this.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 06:08 PM
Points: 7,139, Level: 55 Points: 7,139, Level: 55 Points: 7,139, Level: 55
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 88750
Garage
Have you reached out to Jonathan at SA to see if he has any sliders sitting around? Even if he doesn't, I believe it's 3-4 weeks to produce them. I love my SA sliders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Core View Post
Have you reached out to Jonathan at SA to see if he has any sliders sitting around? Even if he doesn't, I believe it's 3-4 weeks to produce them. I love my SA sliders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, I like the SA Super-sliders too, those are the ones I wanted to get.

Maybe I'll give SA a call when I'm ready and see if I can order a set.
Core likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in