NorthEast AZ Trail Suggestions - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

NorthEast AZ Trail Suggestions

So we'll be driving down to AZ for Christmas - from CO, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any trails between Heber and Payson, or Payson and Mesa that they'd recommend? I've seen information on the Sunflower Mine off of 87, but it's always better to talk with someone that's been on the trail. Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Points: 731, Level: 14 Points: 731, Level: 14 Points: 731, Level: 14
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%

Sunflower is great or I just went to a place out here that is off of Bush Highway which is also off the 87. There is also a place north of Fountain Hills called Rio Verde and thats fun too. What dates are you coming out here. We should meet up and I will let 49ersfan know you are coming down too.This is what the place looks like off of Bush Highway. There are more pictures under the picture forums and the title is Some one found mud in AZ
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
There will be snow in NE Arizona during December, I haven't player in snow yet and would certainly join if the opportunity avails itself.

There are some neat trails around O'Leary Peak or the Kaibab National Forest.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Points: 731, Level: 14 Points: 731, Level: 14 Points: 731, Level: 14
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%

I lived in Michgan for 23yrs. Im done with snow. Trust me it gets old real fast
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Points: 7,293, Level: 56 Points: 7,293, Level: 56 Points: 7,293, Level: 56
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

bjamrow -
I went to school in Flagstaff and spent many days (and nights) driving around an area near there. I know it's a little north of where you're looking to 'wheel but if you can get to the Cinders Recreation area, I think you'd have a great time.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/rec...er-hills.shtml

I spent a lot of my first year's college fund buying (after breaking) parts on my old '78 K5. Mom was thrilled. There are miles of trails and the terrain consists of pea-gravel sized lava rock from the nearby volcanoes. You can drive the ridges of some of the volcanoes and even drive into the bowls if you choose. You can spend all day exploring the easier routes but if you get the bug - gas it and try a hillclimb or two. I've been trying to get back there for 20 years. There's no rock crawling, little mud (though the time of season, you may find some) but miles of trails that get challenging when they get a little steeper. I found some other trails up in the San Francisco Peaks area, but I don't remember enough to help you get there - I just know they exist! Anyway, have a great time, Northern Arizona is one of my favorite places on the planet, I miss it. By the way, I broke most often in or near Sedona. It's a beautiful place to send Blazer parts to heaven.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06 Limited, 4"SL+SSR, Deaver front coils, 285 KM2's, winch, GL bumper, AFE, FM50 - SOLD July,2012...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Depending on how much snow they have up on the Rim, we might be going through Flagstaff instead - so that might be an option, thanks KMAX. It's looking like I'll be free to go out and play on Saturday, December 27th...should have commitments with the family done by then - maybe I'll throw a post up on the trail run section and see who we can get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in