Problem with '06 Commander please help - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Points: 257, Level: 5 Points: 257, Level: 5 Points: 257, Level: 5
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Problem with '06 Commander please help

Hello all,

I am a new member and have joined in the hopes of pinpointing a problem that I just had tonight with my 2006 Commander. To tell you all a bit about it, it has the 5.7L and is fully loaded. It has 50,000 miles. No problems at all untill now.

Ok, now for the issue.

When I got off work tonight, I hopped into my jeep as usual and it started right up as usual. But as I was about to put it into reverse I noticed that none of my dash guages were functioning. The lights were all on, but none of the guages were functioning properly. The Engine indicator light was on, as were the ESP and BAS indicator lights.

That is only the beginning. Not knowing what the cause might be, I turned off the ignition and restarted the engine. Same thing. I thought, well, I'll try driving it a bit to see if there really is anything wrong with it. As I started driving, after the tranny shifted into second, what sounded like the transfer case,-started grinding as if I was trying to switch into 4WD low while moving. I immediately stopped and turned the engine off again.

I sat for about 5 minutes debating what my next move should be. I then started the engine again. The lights were all still on, but the guages again were not working. I attempted to switch into 4WD L just to see if the t case was working properly, and it shifted in and out just fine.

I again started home and this time, kept the speed under 20 mph and had no problems with the grinding noise again. However, as I was driving up a rather steep hill, it became obvious that the engine was only running on 4 cylinders. As if the MDS wasn't functioning properly. I became very cautious of anything else acting up, and didn't notice anything else for the rest of the drive home (about 2 miles)

When I got home, I thought to try using my spare key just to see if anything was different using it. Well, it started up just fine again and this time, the ESP and BAS lights went off, but the SES light remained on. With this revelation I drove the Jeep around my block, and everything seemed to be running just fine.

Guages worked, MDS worked fine, everythig worked as it should, but the SES light was still on. When I got back home, I disconnected the battery cables and connected them again, started up the engine and voila! Everything working as it should. No service lights on, problem solved.

I then proceeded to drive around for another 10 miles with no problems what so ever! So my question is this:

What the heck happened!?

I thought that maybe when I first started it there may have been a voltage spike from the alternator, but am not sure if symptomology matches up. With the engine idleing and all electrical devices on, voltage at the battery is 14.10 volts with some fluctuation. No major spikes etc...

I really would appreciate some input because I love my jeep, but that one incident was enough to make me paranoid now.

Please give thoughts,
Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 38,000
Computer glitch.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

That is what I thought it was, but is this something I should be concerned with?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Points: 2,908, Level: 33 Points: 2,908, Level: 33 Points: 2,908, Level: 33
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

You need to take it to a dealer to have them update the computer. Ours did the same thing (almost - ours has the 3.7 and no low range and no MDS). The gauges and A/C wouldn't activate. It was like the only thing running was the motor. Sometimes the electronics would die while driving. They had to do like 3 computer updates. I believe there are TSB's on it and our was under warranty. Unfortunately ours is getting a new motor now, but that's another story. For more, go to this thread:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6342

Good luck!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice so far guys, I would like to hear more input from others! I hesitate bringing the jeep into the dealer, as the car isn't throwing any codes anymore. Unless I get it in when it throws a code, I might as well flush my money straight down the toilet!

Who knows if or when this might happen again. This is the first time in 3yr/50,000 miles that ANYTHING has gone wrong with it so I am a bit unsure of the course of action I should take.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaddict View Post
Thanks for the advice so far guys, I would like to hear more input from others! I hesitate bringing the jeep into the dealer, as the car isn't throwing any codes anymore. Unless I get it in when it throws a code, I might as well flush my money straight down the toilet!

Who knows if or when this might happen again. This is the first time in 3yr/50,000 miles that ANYTHING has gone wrong with it so I am a bit unsure of the course of action I should take.
Well, for future reference don't clear the check engine light.
As you noted, the dealer now has nothing to go on.
.....Good luck and hopefully it wont recur
.....Rob
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Points: 4,505, Level: 42 Points: 4,505, Level: 42 Points: 4,505, Level: 42
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

if it is a tsb it should be done for free. the codes should still be in the comp when they check
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaddict View Post

If it was just an errant glitch, you may be fine. Sometimes a weak battery, sun fart errant microwave can goof up electronics. But if you havent gone in for the reflash/recall you probably should.

Keep your eye on it, and pay attention to the variables leading up to it if it happens again.

Good reason to get the extended warranty, I am going to get the Medium plan I think, between the max care and powertrain. It will cover the electronic/computer mess we seem to have in these. Not sure what I will do beyond the 7year 100,000 mile mark though. Just for the computer problems and transmission, the plan is worth it if youre going to keep the vehicle for any length of time, and with resale being so bad, unless you want to take a 5-10K loss of equity, that seems to be the only option. I'm just glad I have the motorcycle/bike option.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 38,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
if it is a tsb it should be done for free. the codes should still be in the comp when they check
TSBs are only done for free if it is still under warranty.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the advice and please keep it coming.

Here is another question that may put my mind at ease. Something I forgot to mention in my first post was that when I disconnected the battery cable, I noticed that the ground cable was somewhat loose @ the terminal. Never noticed this before, but with the changing weather and things getting colder (below freezing now)...Could have just sprung up

Is it possible that this loose cable could possibly have caused what I described? I thought about it before I did it, but in hindsight, Robby, you are right-I probably should have taken it straight into the dealer when the SES light was on rather than clearing the codes. Are those codes still accessible?

Also, you all keep mentioning a recall etc... Where can I find info on this? I have searched online for 2006 commander recalls but found nothing concerning a feflash. Thanks again for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in