Low milage 2006, what to look for - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Racer_X
  • 1 Post By Big Blue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Points: 757, Level: 14 Points: 757, Level: 14 Points: 757, Level: 14
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 37,000
Garage
Low milage 2006, what to look for

So luck passed my way and we picked up a 2006 with 32000 miles on it. Other than the obvious, is there anything specific i should look at for aging rather than wear? I suppose fluids front to back. It runs perfectly now, seems to shift and drive just like it should, so I hate to muck with something that really doesnt need mucking.

thnx

jm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 01:49 PM
Points: 1,338, Level: 20 Points: 1,338, Level: 20 Points: 1,338, Level: 20
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwands View Post
So luck passed my way and we picked up a 2006 with 32000 miles on it. Other than the obvious, is there anything specific i should look at for aging rather than wear? I suppose fluids front to back. It runs perfectly now, seems to shift and drive just like it should, so I hate to muck with something that really doesnt need mucking.

thnx

jm
There's the "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" school of thought. But that often leads to preventable failures and problems that could have been discovered and averted.

Check the maintenance schedule for your specific model and engine. Look at the months/years on the maintenance items, not the mileage. Everything up to and including the "10 year" maintenance items should be done.

Things to watch out for (most often neglected):
  • Diff lube (back and if 4wd, front) and transfer case lube for 4wd models
  • Hoses (all of them). Replace them all unless you absolutely know they are new.
  • Coolant (if it's old, drain he system, flush the system with a good flush mixed with distilled water. Run with the flush for the appropriate running time and conditions with the heat on full hot, then drain and refill with distilled water. Drive it a bit [up to a couple days] with pure distilled water, then drain and fill with fresh coolant mixed with distilled water)
  • If you're replacing the hoses and coolant (long life coolant lasts 10 years/100,000 miles +/-) you might consider replacing the water pump. They nearly always make it 10 years/100,000 miles, and they nearly always fail before 20 years/200,000 miles. I find it easier to treat this item as "scheduled maintenance" at my own convenience rather than waiting for the inevitable failure.
  • Serpentine belt and tensioner.
  • Check the date on the battery. This is another item I try to replace before a failure. If it's over 5 years old, start looking for a good sale price, and check the manufacturers/wholesalers for overstocks and "seconds" if you feel comfortable with that. It's not critical if your battery is working now, and it's even less critical if it tests good. However, they never fail during the best sale prices of the year, and they rarely fail at home.
jmwands likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,609, Level: 95 Points: 24,609, Level: 95 Points: 24,609, Level: 95
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwands View Post

thnx

jm
I'd check for water stains in the headliner - either around the sunroof, or, around the area where the top of the front driver's and front passenger's doors meets the headliner. If water stains are found in these areas of the headliner - they could be caused by leaky sunroof seals, clogged sunroof drains or leaky door seals and/or doors out of alignment.

All of these are common causes of water leaks in Commanders - and water leaks in Commanders are common.
jmwands likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in