Fuel tank won't fill all the way up - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By rblapham
  • 1 Post By bdalameda

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Points: 791, Level: 14 Points: 791, Level: 14 Points: 791, Level: 14
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fuel tank won't fill all the way up

Guys I got a 2006 commander 3.7 and my wife went to fill the tank and said she put in around 10gals and the pump stopped. I know it should take more because gauge read below 1/4tank when I last saw. So on lunch went to investigate myself and went to different pump and did the same thing. The guage only reads slightly below 3/4 tank and won't will the rest of the way.
This just started the other day. Is it the filler neck or evap canister or what?? I don't want to dump money into it so any input is appreciated

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,220, Level: 93 Points: 23,220, Level: 93 Points: 23,220, Level: 93
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2629thompson View Post
Guys I got a 2006 commander 3.7 and my wife went to fill the tank and said she put in around 10gals and the pump stopped. I know it should take more because gauge read below 1/4tank when I last saw. So on lunch went to investigate myself and went to different pump and did the same thing. The guage only reads slightly below 3/4 tank and won't will the rest of the way.
This just started the other day. Is it the filler neck or evap canister or what?? I don't want to dump money into it so any input is appreciated

Any chance that your gas gauge is off and needs to be calibrated or replaced?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-10-2017 at 02:17 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Points: 32,015, Level: 100 Points: 32,015, Level: 100 Points: 32,015, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
Doubt the tank or filler neck can be the problem, bet the fuel gauge sending unit is bad. Had one go bad about like yours. on a Grand Cherokee and had the dealer replace it. They must remove the tank as the sending unit is inside of it. Take in with as little gas in it as possible. Did that with mine but then after they serviced it I went and filled it up to make sure it was working. Parked in garage under my house - next morning when we woke up there was very strong smell of gas and a puddle of gas under the car. Got everyone out of the house, backed the car out, opened all the windows and turned off the gas water heater. Don't know why the house didn't explode. Took back to dealer with some choice words. They pulled the tank full of gas - boy did they have a mess, asked why they don't pressure test the tank after the repair and he just shrugged. Sending unit gasket was on wrong.
Big Blue likes this.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblapham View Post
Doubt the tank or filler neck can be the problem, bet the fuel gauge sending unit is bad. Had one go bad about like yours. on a Grand Cherokee and had the dealer replace it. They must remove the tank as the sending unit is inside of it. Take in with as little gas in it as possible. Did that with mine but then after they serviced it I went and filled it up to make sure it was working. Parked in garage under my house - next morning when we woke up there was very strong smell of gas and a puddle of gas under the car. Got everyone out of the house, backed the car out, opened all the windows and turned off the gas water heater. Don't know why the house didn't explode. Took back to dealer with some choice words. They pulled the tank full of gas - boy did they have a mess, asked why they don't pressure test the tank after the repair and he just shrugged. Sending unit gasket was on wrong.
That's not a good situation at all rblapham.

You were very fortunate.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 12:18 AM
Points: 4,256, Level: 41 Points: 4,256, Level: 41 Points: 4,256, Level: 41
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

4WD
Current Mileage: 124000
It sounds like your evaporator canister is plugged or the evaporator purge valve may be faulty. When this happens the tank vent system will not function and it will make it very difficult to get fuel to flow into the tank to completely fill it.

Dan
Big Blue likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Points: 485, Level: 9 Points: 485, Level: 9 Points: 485, Level: 9
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%

4WD
Current Mileage: 128K
Garage
Quote:

It should still fill but SLOWLY if it's the purge valve etc... probably the purge valve/ overflow tank and if u have patience is non emergent but tank will have to be filled slowly if u don't want to put $ into it. Doesn't sound like gauge or sending unit imo.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I'm sure it IS NOT the fuel gauge. It's always read full when I filled up before. My thoughts were it was either the purge valve or the canister. I don't have any codes as of now. Going to fill up tomorrow so I guess I'll see if it works or not. If not I'll see about going ahead and getting both replaced since I'm sure it's pretty easy to do it myself.
Thanks again

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the replies! I'm sure it IS NOT the fuel gauge. It's always read full when I filled up before. My thoughts were it was either the purge valve or the canister. I don't have any codes as of now. Going to fill up tomorrow so I guess I'll see if it works or not. If not I'll see about going ahead and getting both replaced since I'm sure it's pretty easy to do it myself.
Thanks again

Let us know how it goes Thompson.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Well I tried to fill up again and it won't fill any further than a bit above half tank so going to try replacing the charcoal canister first

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in