Looking to Make Purchase. Question first. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Looking to Make Purchase. Question first.

Heythere, former lurker, now a member.
I am looking to purchase a 2008 Limited that has every option I want except for two, power lift gate and rear DVD. I know that rear DVD player can be added after market but what about the lift gate?
It's a tough decision because a different dealer has a 09 with everything I want (black ext, saddle brown, exterior package, Hemi, Quadra, DVD, Lift gate) as well as the rear heated seats, HID lamps, keyless entry, etc. Hard to justify buying the 09 though without the larger incentives. Any thoughts? I've been going around and around on this (08 vs 09) and must make a purchase no later that Jan 3 when I turn in my GMC lease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
IMO if it is possible you should go for the '09. It would be difficult and expensive to add the power liftgate. See this thread: https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2614&highlight=power+liftgate

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Last edited by jeep5253; 11-15-2008 at 02:13 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Points: 37,431, Level: 100 Points: 37,431, Level: 100 Points: 37,431, Level: 100

Model year: 2009
4WD
Current Mileage: 140,000
Having just bought an '09, I can feel your pain. We went through the same dilemma...sacrifice a few options but get great rebates on the '08's or order an '09 how we want it and pay more. We finally decided that if we were going to spend that kind of money on a vehicle, there is no reason why it can't have every option we wanted. Plus, there were some added features to the '09's that we like (rear heated seats/HID's for example).

A rear DVD can be added, but it won't be like factory. The factory one can be operated from the front NAV/DVD screen as well was from a remote. I don't think that functionality is available with an aftermarket unit. The power lift gate is great, and a must have in my opinion. It's nice when you have both hands full to just push a button to open or close it.

However, you are really the only one who can make a decision between the '08 or the '09. What's best for you, your family, and your budget?

Last edited by consolidation; 11-17-2008 at 11:55 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidation View Post
Having just bought an '09, I can feel your pain. We went through the same dilemma...sacrifice a few options but get great rebates on the '08's or order an '09 how we want it and pay more. We finally decided that if we were going to spend that kind of money on a vehicle, there is no reason why it can't have every option we wanted. Plus, there were some added features to the '09's that we like (rear heated seats/HID's for example).

A rear DVD can be added, but it won't be like factory. The factory one can be operated from the front NAV/DVD screen as well was from a remote. I don't think that functionality is available with an aftermarket unit. The power lift gate is great, and a must have in my opinion. It's nice when you have both hands full to just push a button to open or close it.

However, you are really the only one who can make a decision between the '08 or the '09. What's best for you, your family, and your budget?
So now that you have an 09, are you glad you wen that way? Love to get your feedback on a couple of the 09 options. Do you have the keyless entry option that I have heard about that unlocks your car as you approach? Are the heated seats in the 2nd row controlled by the driver or passenger? Is there some type of new iPod hookup in the MyGig? Do you really notice a difference with HIDs? Any other 09 goodies that I don't know about? Also, did you "build your Jeep" on the website or did a dealer have the one you bought? I ask because I wonder if a dealer is going to be willing to play with the price on an 09 or will just stick to the current Jeep incentive ($1500 in my area).
Thanks for your response.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Points: 37,431, Level: 100 Points: 37,431, Level: 100 Points: 37,431, Level: 100

Model year: 2009
4WD
Current Mileage: 140,000
Other than the additional car payment, we are very happy with the decision we made. The dealer didn't have an '08 close enough to what we were looking for. We even did a 1000 mile dealer search to no avail. We custom ordered through the factory to make sure we got everything we wanted. The window sticker says that it was custom built for me...kinda cool! It doesn't cost anything extra (at least not through our dealer) but you do have to wait 2-3 months while they build it. We bought a 300C last year and did the same thing. It's worth the wait to get what you want.

Much to our disappointment, the rumored keyless entry feature was just that...a rumor. The heated seats are controlled by the rear passengers using buttons on the back of the front console. I am not familiar with any Ipod changes to the MyGig from the '08 models. The MyGig does have a few new features that older software versions don't have, like saving presets for Sirius channels, which can be scrolled through using the steering wheel buttons. The HID's are considerably brighter with longer range than typical auto lamps. I do a lot of night driving, so the increased visibility is appreciated. Another change for the '09's is a revised Hemi engine. It's my understanding that they tweeked the existing Hemi to get more HP but better fuel economy.

Those are the only major changes I can think of at the moment...but there might be others.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in