Changing front brake pads - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Changing front brake pads

I'm not a foreigner to swapping out pads on cars, done it on tons of foreign jobs, Alfa's Fiat's BMW's etc. but not much experience when it comes to american vehicles.

With 75k on my commander, I need to drop a new pair on the front wheels and I'm a little anxious. Are there any special tips the good folks out here in forum land would like to pass along before I Jack-er-up and remove the wheel?

Thanks
KKKKFL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
I'm not a foreigner to swapping out pads on cars, done it on tons of foreign jobs, Alfa's Fiat's BMW's etc. but not much experience when it comes to american vehicles.

With 75k on my commander, I need to drop a new pair on the front wheels and I'm a little anxious. Are there any special tips the good folks out here in forum land would like to pass along before I Jack-er-up and remove the wheel?

Thanks
KKKKFL
Try this out:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6005

Relatively simple in my opinion...good luck!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Job done thanks for the link - as a point for others, Both fronts and rears are a piece of cake. Once I finished the fronts, I was surprised to see they had not worn all that much. Since I heard a metal to metal sound, it had me scurring back to the parts store for a set of rears. Here too, the process is very straight forward, ratchet and "C" clamp is all you need. To my surprise the REAR pads were gone. On discussing with a friend we feel that since I tow a 5000lb boat and use the "Tow" button, the rear brakes are automatically engaged sooner than the fronts causing the excessive wear at the back end.

Sure would like to hear from others that use their Commander to Tow on more than a once a year basis...

KKKKFL

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

I know folks out there use there Commanders to Tow Boats/Horse trailers and such. I'm surprised nobody has responded to excessive rear pad wear. Maybe its just the particular area I tow the boat ie steep downhill.

KKKKFL
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
I know folks out there use there Commanders to Tow Boats/Horse trailers and such. I'm surprised nobody has responded to excessive rear pad wear. Maybe its just the particular area I tow the boat ie steep downhill.

KKKKFL
I occasionally tow a 16 fishing boat with 25 horse motor, which I don't think is very heavy. I also occasionally tow a 5x10 trailer, sometimes with my kubota tractor on it, but very seldom. I know my Commander has 7500 pound towing capacity but I haven't had a need to tow anything that heavy yet. I have 50,000 on my Commander. I had the brakes inspected at about 40,000 and they said they were OK.

If I were to tow a heavy trailer, I would want trailer brakes and a brake controller. Sorry, can't help more than that. Someone will probably chime in soon.

P.S. What condition were the rear rotors in? Did you have them machined?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

My boat is on the heavy side of 5000 lbs. and I was astonished at the degradation of the rear pads. I have about 70k miles on the odometer, and the fronts were still passable. They had worn down 2/3rd's of the thickness of a new pad. The rear's on the other hand were down to the thickness of a dime, with a sliver of metal showing near the bottom of the left rear. This was where the Metal to Metal sound came from.

Now in most vehicles, 90% of the brake'ing is accomplished by the fronts as the transfer of weight loads up the front wheels. This is why I was surprised to find so little left on the rears. In talking with another Auto guru guy, the only thing we could come up with is the fact that the brake system does some funky stuff when you press in the Tow/haul button.

Well that's my theory at this point.

KKKKFL
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Points: 1,216, Level: 19 Points: 1,216, Level: 19 Points: 1,216, Level: 19
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

When towing heavy trailers, the weight transfer to the rear tires is much higher than in normal driving. Combine that with the fact that on most vehicles, the rear brakes are of lesser capacity than the fronts, it will wear the rears out much more rapidly. What you found is not uncommon.

Consider the tounge of the trailer to be a lever arm with a pivot point at both the front and rear tires. The rear tires are what takes the brunt of the work in slowing the trailer.

I haven't checked on Commander applications, but EBC used to make rear brake pads for towing applications on most trucks.

Did you check for warpage and such when you did the rear pads?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

Send a message via Skype™ to TYMAC
With 70k on the vehicle, I'm sure the front pads have been replaced already as they supply 70% of the stopping whether you tow or not.

It's also very uncommon to machine the rotors these days. Considering the cost is almost the same to buy new. When you machine you remove material, that loss of thickness in the rotor causes warpage and premature wear of the new pads.

I didn't read the other thread, but I trust it mentions how important it is to lube the guide pins/mounting bolts and where the pad makes contact with the caliper and mount. Use a good quality synthetic lube or Never Seize.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Points: 6,361, Level: 52 Points: 6,361, Level: 52 Points: 6,361, Level: 52
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

I actually had my rotors machined last saturday... I took my 23000 mile XK into the dealer to complain about inconsistent braking/juddering, and they said that all 4 disks were warped. So I had them all machined true (at my expense as it was after the 12/12000 warranty for wear and tear), at a cost of $280 for all 4. The dealer said that I had lots of life left in the pads and the rotors and it didn't warrant replacing them all...

Now I have silky smooth brakes again, a welcome return!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Points: 1,978, Level: 26 Points: 1,978, Level: 26 Points: 1,978, Level: 26
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

I had to replace our rear pads around 50,000 miles. Quite a bit of city driving takes place, and it's only been over the past year 25,000 miles that most of the wife's trip to work takes places around 50mph, versus bumper to bumper traffic. We didn't machine the rotors, and I just replaced the pads. The rotors looked fine, but then again, I guess you can't tell if there is any warping by looking at them. There's still some squeaking here and there, and the front pads probably have less than 10,000 miles left on them. The guys at the local tire shop told us we're lucky to get 30,000 miles out of brake pads here in the DC area. We are currently at 53,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in