Oil leak from head gasket???? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By TwoBobsXK
  • 1 Post By Conundrum2006
  • 1 Post By Conundrum2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Points: 791, Level: 14 Points: 791, Level: 14 Points: 791, Level: 14
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Oil leak from head gasket????

What's up all. Got an 06 commander 3.7l and I've been told by a good friend and gm mechanic for like 15+ years that my oil leak is coming from passenger head gasket. Is it likely that the oil is leaking from the headgasket? Or could if be somewhere near there. I know it's leaking below the exhaust manifold

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,030, Level: 93 Points: 23,030, Level: 93 Points: 23,030, Level: 93
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2629thompson View Post
What's up all. Got an 06 commander 3.7l and I've been told by a good friend and gm mechanic for like 15+ years that my oil leak is coming from passenger head gasket. Is it likely that the oil is leaking from the headgasket? Or could if be somewhere near there. I know it's leaking below the exhaust manifold

That sounds plausible to me.

If it's coming from the head gasket, you should be able to see it.

Being that you have the V-6, you should have enough room to get in there and look closely with a flashlight, where the cylinder heads meet the engine block.

The only other places I would look for an oil leak is at the oil filter and around the oil pan gasket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 07:29 PM
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 133,000
I agree with Blue.

The 3.7's are prone to leak from the valve cover gasket toward the back of the engine at the firewall. Wipe any residue from that area of the head and then drive it normally for a day then get a clean rag or paper towel and wipe down that same area. If you pick up fresh, clean oil you know you have a leak. Also look at the exhaust downpipe coming off the manifold for oil residue that's burned off. That's another sure sign of a valve cover gasket leak.

The repair isn't difficult at all; you can get a set of gaskets from RockAuto.com or your local auto parts store. Clean the cylinder head of any residue so the leak doesn't come back.

There are some How-To's over on JeepKJ.com.

Bob
Conundrum2006 likes this.

2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Tow Package, SuperChips tuner, Full Skids, RER MyGIG Upgrade. OME HD Springs w/ Bilstein 4600 shocks

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 08:35 AM
Banned
Points: 1,575, Level: 22 Points: 1,575, Level: 22 Points: 1,575, Level: 22
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%

Pan gaskets are not a likely leak source, believe me those gaskets are on there tight. Only likely way a pan should leak is if it rusts out.

I do agree the valve cover is more likely a source, headgaskets I suppose could be possible, seen it before on other engines.
BTW for me the 3.7 valve covers were a PITA to remove in the XK. Between the wiring harness and clearance it was a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
TwoBobsXK likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,030, Level: 93 Points: 23,030, Level: 93 Points: 23,030, Level: 93
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum2006 View Post
Pan gaskets are not a likely leak source, believe me those gaskets are on there tight. Only likely way a pan should leak is if it rusts out.

I do agree the valve cover is more likely a source, headgaskets I suppose could be possible, seen it before on other engines.
BTW for me the 3.7 valve covers were a PITA to remove in the XK. Between the wiring harness and clearance it was a pain.

I've seen oil pan gaskets leak before - that's why I mentioned it.

Maybe it's not the most common source of an oil leak, but, I wouldn't arbitrarily dismiss it without checking.

It does happen, especially if the oil pan has been removed before for whatever reason.

Last edited by Big Blue; 11-14-2017 at 01:27 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Banned

On a 3.7? Suppose it is possible, but that design gasket is very durable and a major hassle to remove. Most 3.7 that look like they have a pan gasket leak usually have another gasket leaking down to it.
On the XK with 4 wheel drive to change the pan gasket it is almost better to pull the engine, maybe there is a trick for dropping the suspension and axel out of the way that might make it easier.

Hopefully the OP just has a valve gasket or something simpler than removing the heads.

OP could it be possible the Cam position located on the passenger side cylinderhead could be leaking?
It immediately underneath the valve cover towards the front of the passenger of the engine.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to look into the cam sensor leak. But I've asked a few mechanics and says it looks like oil is Leake from headgasket but not leaking coolant? Idk what to think

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:27 PM
Banned

It possible. There are oil passageways from the block to the cylinder head, if it starts seeping oil it could be what youíre seeing. The water side of the gasket is fine which seems counter intuitive.
Iíve seen a few engines do this, did a search about the 3.7 this afternoon found a couple 2011 Liberty owners complaining about headgasket and other oil leaks. Apparently 2011 was a bad year for rear main seals.
I donít think itís terribly common but I doubt several mechanics are mistaking what they are seeing.
Sorry to say it sounds more and more like a headgasket.
If youíre going to DIY the job there are some very good write ups on the 3.7 and/or 4.7 engines. KJ forum will have several good writeups for sure.

TwoBobsXK likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum2006 View Post
It possible. There are oil passageways from the block to the cylinder head, if it starts seeping oil it could be what youíre seeing. The water side of the gasket is fine which seems counter intuitive.
Iíve seen a few engines do this, did a search about the 3.7 this afternoon found a couple 2011 Liberty owners complaining about headgasket and other oil leaks. Apparently 2011 was a bad year for rear main seals.
I donít think itís terribly common but I doubt several mechanics are mistaking what they are seeing.
Sorry to say it sounds more and more like a headgasket.
If youíre going to DIY the job there are some very good write ups on the 3.7 and/or 4.7 engines. KJ forum will have several good writeups for sure.

Well thanks for your input I appreciate it. Luckily no overheating, coolant leak yet and hope it doesn't until later I can afford to fix it. I replaced the engine and I know the motor only had 86k on it but anything can happen I guess. With the leak below the exhaust manifold, seems to me like it could be headgasket leaking oil.
Thanks again

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Banned

Oh, is there a warranty on the engine? Iíd think this should be covered.

I put a low milage 2012 3.7 engine on our 2006 Commander, clean beautiful engine, no leaks so far. swapped the oil pan, a couple of sensors and it bolted right in. 2005-2012 3.7 have the same reluctors, block and cylinder heads are the same. Just a few sensors to swap. Great option for any other jeep owners looking for a swap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in