Picking up Limited Demo tonight. What should I be on look out for? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Talking Picking up Limited Demo tonight. What should I be on look out for?

I just pulled the trigger on a purchase of an 08 Limited that was being used as a DEMO for the GM of the dealership. The dealer is in Michigan and I am in Illinois. They are driving it down to me tonight to sign the paperwork at one of their sister dealerships in my area. So...

I have never seen this Jeep in person. It is Black with Saddle Brown seats, tow, DVD, external package, 5.7 HEMI, Power Liftgate, Chrome wheels, MyGig Nav and Sirius TV. It has less than 7000 miles on it! I am told that it has no dings, scratches, and has never been in an accident.

My IMPORTANT question is, What should I be looking out for when checking it out before signing the papers? I'm concerned that since it was a demo that some goodie may be missing that I would have received if it was brand spanking new. For instance, I'd hate to go look for the remote in a week or 2 and find that it wasn't there.

So any help for a VERY excited soon-to-be Commander owner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

I know of dealers who have these "DEMO" vehicles and they treat them like rental cars. Don't be afraid to flip up the seats and check all around for places that there may be missing panels or covers or plastic pieces. Push all the buttons before you sign the papers to make sure that everything functions properly. I'm sure you probably know all the basics about buying a "pre-owned" vehicle, just treat it like that even though it is new. Welcome and Congrats

Bright Silver 4.7L 2.25 RR/OME lift, Kumho KL71 265/70/17, Flashpaq, Lights, rack, intake, Super44, mopar skids, 4x belly guard, rear fog lights, MM9500 winch, GetLost4x4 winch mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HILLBILLY DELUXE
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclarke View Post
I just pulled the trigger on a purchase of an 08 Limited that was being used as a DEMO for the GM of the dealership. The dealer is in Michigan and I am in Illinois. They are driving it down to me tonight to sign the paperwork at one of their sister dealerships in my area. So...

I have never seen this Jeep in person. It is Black with Saddle Brown seats, tow, DVD, external package, 5.7 HEMI, Power Liftgate, Chrome wheels, MyGig Nav and Sirius TV. It has less than 7000 miles on it! I am told that it has no dings, scratches, and has never been in an accident.

My IMPORTANT question is, What should I be looking out for when checking it out before signing the papers? I'm concerned that since it was a demo that some goodie may be missing that I would have received if it was brand spanking new. For instance, I'd hate to go look for the remote in a week or 2 and find that it wasn't there.

So any help for a VERY excited soon-to-be Commander owner?

Just be sure that you review the itemized equipments listed on the paperwork are all accounted for and confirmed w/ what's ON the vehicle. Also, factor in that the satellite subscription (when the vehicle is new or initially in service) only last for the first year 'free'. Since you're getting a Demo, this might of already been in use, and may be expiring in the near future, so ensure that gets straighten out.

Lastly, make sure the vehicle is completely detailed or cleaned up really well. I'd walked off the deal if they couldn't even do that for you . Good luck and enjoy!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Make sure you have the roof cross rails, 2 pair of headphones and 2 ignition keys. Also make sure you get the key code--you will need it if you ever need another key.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Points: 462, Level: 9 Points: 462, Level: 9 Points: 462, Level: 9
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

Agree with the "rental" statement... if you've ever see these dealership people drive these cars, you know what I mean. Lots of abusive treatment, similar to "pep" cars at the Big 3.

I'd sure like to save $$$ and buy pre-owned, but it's such a roll-of-the-dice I just can't get myself to do it. Hope you don't get burned.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Points: 2,082, Level: 27 Points: 2,082, Level: 27 Points: 2,082, Level: 27
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

Go over it and ensure everything works as it should. I can tell you that my 06 XK was a demo and I have not had any problems with it. Perhaps I got lucky, but I thought I should share my positive "demo purchase" experience.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Also make sure it hasn't been smoked in, that's another caveat to the "rental car" statement.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Points: 9,000, Level: 63 Points: 9,000, Level: 63 Points: 9,000, Level: 63
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

agree with almost all of the above - 2 keys, sirius subscription and roof rails, but look it over. If it truly was a GM of the dealership, you probably shouldn't worry, they aren't 12 year olds who beat the crap out of the cars. I picked up mine as a Demo as the GM's wife's car! The Jeep was spotless, but I did lose out on 6 months of Sirius Radio since it was already activiated. Welcome aboard and congrats!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
Make sure you have the roof cross rails, 2 pair of headphones and 2 ignition keys. Also make sure you get the key code--you will need it if you ever need another key.
This was on the list of things I would ask about.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in