Buying 2008 XK Today, Looking for Input - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Points: 248, Level: 4 Points: 248, Level: 4 Points: 248, Level: 4
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 154000
Buying 2008 XK Today, Looking for Input

I did include this post in my introduction, so apologies if that's frowned upon. The reason I'm being so pushy is because I'm set to buy the Jeep today and want to make sure what I'm describing isn't an issue.

I've had my eye on a 2008 XK with Quadra-Trac II. I insisted the salesman get the mud and muck washed off the bottom and then bring it up on a lift so I could check for issues. Stuff like excessive rust, driveline play, leaks and stuff like that. Anyway, while I was checking the rear differential pinion for slop, I rotated the rear driveshaft by hand and to my surprise, it moved and so did the wheels. I assume the tech put it on park before raising it up, so I was a little confused. After looking it up, it appears Quadra-Trac II has the NV245, which functions as an open differential that can electronically lock up a clutch in case of slippage. Further, both the front and rear differentials are open and use brake distribution to behave like LSDs. I think this explains why I was able to freely rotate the rear driveshaft in park, granted with some effort. It seems this is behavior that's been confirmed on full time 4x4 Durangos on forums. My understanding is that this is because the transfer case is behind the transmission where the parking pawl is.

That, or I'm capable of producing 500hp with my arms. I'm thinking of buying this one, but the OCD side of me won't let go of the possibility that I damaged something. Can anyone weigh in and set my mind at ease? Any help or insight is greatly appreciate, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,354, Level: 94 Points: 23,354, Level: 94 Points: 23,354, Level: 94
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Trim Package: Sport
4WD
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilleo View Post
I did include this post in my introduction, so apologies if that's frowned upon. The reason I'm being so pushy is because I'm set to buy the Jeep today and want to make sure what I'm describing isn't an issue.

I've had my eye on a 2008 XK with Quadra-Trac II. I insisted the salesman get the mud and muck washed off the bottom and then bring it up on a lift so I could check for issues. Stuff like excessive rust, driveline play, leaks and stuff like that. Anyway, while I was checking the rear differential pinion for slop, I rotated the rear driveshaft by hand and to my surprise, it moved and so did the wheels. I assume the tech put it on park before raising it up, so I was a little confused. After looking it up, it appears Quadra-Trac II has the NV245, which functions as an open differential that can electronically lock up a clutch in case of slippage. Further, both the front and rear differentials are open and use brake distribution to behave like LSDs. I think this explains why I was able to freely rotate the rear driveshaft in park, granted with some effort. It seems this is behavior that's been confirmed on full time 4x4 Durangos on forums. My understanding is that this is because the transfer case is behind the transmission where the parking pawl is.

That, or I'm capable of producing 500hp with my arms. I'm thinking of buying this one, but the OCD side of me won't let go of the possibility that I damaged something. Can anyone weigh in and set my mind at ease? Any help or insight is greatly appreciate, thanks!
It does have the NV245 transfer case - which is the same transfer case that Quadra-Drive II Commanders use - the only difference is Quadra-Drive II Commanders also have Electronic limited slip differentials - Quadra-Trac II Commanders do not.

If you test drive it make sure you can shift into and out of 4-LOW without receiving any Service 4WD System messages in the EVIC - that should tell you all you need to know.

Also read this thread:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...oking-buy.html

It was also a VERY good idea to get the salesman to wash all the mud and muck off the bottom - and definitely inspect underneath thoroughly for any rust, leaks or signs of impact damage.

I'd also give the headliner a thorough visual inspection around the front Driver's side & front Passenger's side door and the headliner around the sunroof/s as Commanders are pretty notorious for water leaks - from either clogged sunroof drains; bad door seals - or doors that are out of alignment.

Check and see if it has a good service history and the previous owner/s have kept up on all of the maintenance.

The only other thing I'd recommend is to go to the website URL below and plug in the VIN to see if all the factory re-calls and campaigns have been completed:

Safety Recall Information | MOPAR

If the are any that are outstanding - and this XK you are looking at is for sale at a dealership - you can either get the dealership to have the recalls/campaigns completed before you pull the trigger and buy it (which is what I would do) or you could use the outstanding recalls/campaigns as a bargaining chip, to try and chew him down on the asking price.

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is that a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern;

A campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

I hope this helps you, good luck and keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 12-05-2017 at 11:47 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
It does have the NV245 transfer case - which is the same transfer case that Quadra-Drive II Commanders use - the only difference is Quadra-Drive II Commanders also have Electronic limited slip differentials - Quadra-Trac II Commanders do not.

If you test drive it make sure you can shift into and out of 4-LOW without receiving any Service 4WD System messages in the EVIC - that should tell you all you need to know.

Also read this thread:

It was also a VERY good idea to get the salesman to wash all the mud and muck off the bottom - and definitely inspect underneath thoroughly for any rust, leaks or signs of impact damage.

I'd also give the headliner a thorough visual inspection around the front Driver's side & front Passenger's side door and the headliner around the sunroof/s as Commanders are pretty notorious for water leaks - from either clogged sunroof drains; bad door seals - or doors that are out of alignment.

Check and see if it has a good service history and the previous owner/s have kept up on all of the maintenance.

The only other thing I'd recommend is to go to the website URL below and plug in the VIN to see if all the factory re-calls and campaigns have been completed:

If the are any that are outstanding - and this XK you are looking at is for sale at a dealership - you can either get the dealership to have the recalls/campaigns completed before you pull the trigger and buy it (which is what I would do) or you could use the outstanding recalls/campaigns as a bargaining chip, to try and chew him down on the asking price.

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is that a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern;

A campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

I hope this helps you, good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks, Big Blue!

I did check the Mopar safety recall page you posted. My VIN shows all the campaigns are completed, so that's good. I haven't tested the 4x4 Low option on it (never occurred to me). Can I test it on pavement and if so, what's the proper procedure to engage it?

I didn't see any obvious water damage in the headliner. However, the rectangular plastic trim piece that goes on the front sunroof was loose on the passenger side. I imagine it needs a trim clip or something of that nature. However, I will make sure all the drains are clear if I buy it. Incidentally, the driver side door does need an alignment, which I'll deal with, because they discounted that off the price. Their pre-inspection sheet showed that their was some brake pulsing, which I don't recall experiencing on the test drive, but I've also budgeted for new rotors and pads as needed.

My question is, is the behavior I described normal? That up on a lift, possibly in park, I was able to rotate the rear drive shaft like that on a Quadra-Trac II Jeep? I think that's my only major concern at this point. Everything else I can deal with.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Thanks, Big Blue!

I did check the Mopar safety recall page you posted. My VIN shows all the campaigns are completed, so that's good. I haven't tested the 4x4 Low option on it (never occurred to me). Can I test it on pavement and if so, what's the proper procedure to engage it?

I didn't see any obvious water damage in the headliner. However, the rectangular plastic trim piece that goes on the front sunroof was loose on the passenger side. I imagine it needs a trim clip or something of that nature. However, I will make sure all the drains are clear if I buy it. Incidentally, the driver side door does need an alignment, which I'll deal with, because they discounted that off the price. Their pre-inspection sheet showed that their was some brake pulsing, which I don't recall experiencing on the test drive, but I've also budgeted for new rotors and pads as needed.

My question is, is the behavior I described normal? That up on a lift, possibly in park, I was able to rotate the rear drive shaft like that on a Quadra-Trac II Jeep? I think that's my only major concern at this point. Everything else I can deal with.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Thanks, Big Blue!

Yes you can test it on pavement - and you absolutely have to test it to see if it's working properly.

If you want to be extra careful - you find a little dirt patch somewhere and test it - but I test mine on pavement every so often - and there are no ill-effects as long as you are careful, slow and deliberate - particularly when accelerating and definitely DO NOT make any sharp turns while you are in 4-LOW.

Have the vehicle at a dead stop, shift into neutral and pull the chrome T-Handle up and hold it up until you see that the electronic stability control disengages (little orange light with squiggly lines will light up on the dash) and the 4-LOW indicator lamp is lit up solid - not flashing.

I wouldn't drive it very far like that if you are on pavement and be very slow and deliberate when accelerating in 4-LOW - the gas pedal becomes very touchy.

Just a drive it about 20 feet or so and if everything is functioning properly - stop, put it in neutral again and hold the chrome T-Handle up until the 4-LOW light goes out and the electronic stability control re-engages (little orange light with squiggly lines on the dash will go out).

Last edited by Big Blue; 12-05-2017 at 01:19 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Model year: 2010
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 180000
Trying to think through the drive shaft situation... You must have been on a chassis lift and I'm thinking all 4 wheels spun in opposite directions. If any one or possibly 2 wheels were held still nothing would have moved more than a few degrees. Anyway bigblue is right... Test it on the ground, preferably on a slippery surface.

2010 5.7 QTII -
, Gas Tank Skid Mod,
, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17,
, Custom Tow Rings F/
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thance View Post
Trying to think through the drive shaft situation... You must have been on a chassis lift and I'm thinking all 4 wheels spun in opposite directions. If any one or possibly 2 wheels were held still nothing would have moved more than a few degrees. Anyway bigblue is right... Test it on the ground, preferably on a slippery surface.
Thanks for the input, Thance. Yes, it was on a chassis lift with all four wheels fully suspended. I was able to rotate the driveshaft probably enough to get the back tires to make a half revolution when I decided to stop. There wasn't more resistance than you'd expect and I could move it once the slack was out of the drivetrain. I was only watching the rear differential, so I can't say whether the front wheels were rotating or not. That said, I'm going to get to the dealer early and test the 4-LOW before I sign on any dotted lines. Luckily, it's been snowing here today.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

4WD
4-LOW worked fine. I'm going buy it. The only real issues is a bad TPMS sensor, but I knew about it and negotiated accordingly.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
4-LOW worked fine. I'm going buy it. The only real issues is a bad TPMS sensor, but I knew about it and negotiated accordingly.
Great news mphilleo, post some pics when you can.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Points: 3,984, Level: 40 Points: 3,984, Level: 40 Points: 3,984, Level: 40
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 120,000
Garage
NICE!!! I'm looking for another Commander to get...the wife "commands" the current one so...

Found one on CL, a 2008 with only 100K miles BUT no engine. Taking a look at it this weekend to give it a full inspection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in