Transmission slow to engage - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,548, Level: 22 Points: 1,548, Level: 22 Points: 1,548, Level: 22
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Transmission slow to engage

Man aren't these the fun ones to ask and describe?

Well to try to sum it up as easily as possible, I have noticed in the past few months whenever I intially crank up my jeep and put it in reverse occasionally I will have to give it some extra gas to start moving back...I mean reving it up extra. This happens about 3 out of 10 times when I first start up.

Just to make sure I was not crazy and just my head thinking it was taking more, one morning I put it in R and the jeep did not move an inch. I then put it back into park then back to R and it started moving back without pushing on the gas.

Well anyone else notice any kind of problem like this? Is it worth taking to the mechanic due to worrying about future problems? Thanks in advance guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Well, A few thoughts.
I know, you probably already did, but check the trans fluid level on flat ground at initial startup.
The most accurate method is to shift through all gear positions at startup, wait about 60 seconds and then check the level.
To get the most accurate reading, pull the dipstick BEFORE starting the engine and running through the gears.
Then check the level.
This removes the potential of fluid splash within the trans causing a false read.
Remember, the fluid will read at the full cold mark on the grid. Adding to full when cold will result in overfill once fluid is warm. Trans fluid has a HUGE expansion rate as it heats.
If the level is correct, then the torque converter is likely draining down overnight.
If, by leaving it in reverse, the gear engages within 5 seconds, you are seeing the converter refill itself before it can pressure up the trans.
This anomoly will happen to most vehicles if allowed to sit unused for a few days.
If the gear engages within 5 seconds, and the trans is full, it likely is the nature of the beast and will cause no harm.
If you must throttle it, with the fluid level correct, to get engagement, the pump circuit has a leak and likely will fail.
Good luck!

Rob
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Points: 6,526, Level: 52 Points: 6,526, Level: 52 Points: 6,526, Level: 52
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%

I have also been having this problem recently in my 06-4.7. I would also say 3/10 times when I back out of the garage. MaroonWhite were you ever able to correct this issue? Has anyone else had this problem?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

It could be the tires have frozen to the ground. I had this happen on other vehicles before. It takes extra torque to break the ice imbedded in the tread loose from the ground.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Points: 19,553, Level: 88 Points: 19,553, Level: 88 Points: 19,553, Level: 88
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

I think this tends to be in very cold weather with these vehicles. It seems to take a short period of time for the fluid to get flowing.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 07:48 AM
Jax
Points: 5,147, Level: 45 Points: 5,147, Level: 45 Points: 5,147, Level: 45
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%

I think it is just normal AT engage. They just don't hook up instant, even when they are warm. I have to remind my wife to give it time to drop in before she hammers on it. Otherwise you get clutch slip.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 AM

Hopefully, that's it. I noticed it in the past and just gave it time to engage and it was fine. The wife's been driving in for the last couple months and complained about it recently so I started driving it again to see how bad it actually was. This morning, I put it in reverse and it took a couple seconds before I could feel it engage. I pulled back out of the garage and stopped to close the garage door and when I released the break there was no more idle/basically was out of gear. After about 5 seconds I felt it engage again..kind of hard this time.. and I finished backing out. I have an appointment on Monday for the 30K tune-up so I was hoping this was a semi-common problem that was easily fixed. Of course, when I have it in there it won't do it for the dealer. Seems to only do it in the morning after sitting all night. Thanks All.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Jax
Points: 5,147, Level: 45 Points: 5,147, Level: 45 Points: 5,147, Level: 45
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkinma View Post
Hopefully, that's it. I noticed it in the past and just gave it time to engage and it was fine. The wife's been driving in for the last couple months and complained about it recently so I started driving it again to see how bad it actually was. This morning, I put it in reverse and it took a couple seconds before I could feel it engage. I pulled back out of the garage and stopped to close the garage door and when I released the break there was no more idle/basically was out of gear. After about 5 seconds I felt it engage again..kind of hard this time.. and I finished backing out. I have an appointment on Monday for the 30K tune-up so I was hoping this was a semi-common problem that was easily fixed. Of course, when I have it in there it won't do it for the dealer. Seems to only do it in the morning after sitting all night. Thanks All.
I think you may have more than just slow engage problem. Sound like there may be a loose filter or something that is allowing air in the intake. I would have it cked for sure.

Last edited by Jax; 02-26-2009 at 12:33 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 12:39 PM

I will for sure be pointing this out on Monday. I did a little investigation and it looks like a common problem for the 06's:

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2101605.pdf
http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2101505.pdf
http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2100706.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in