insurance/paint help - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Points: 3,376, Level: 36 Points: 3,376, Level: 36 Points: 3,376, Level: 36
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 144k
insurance/paint help

So about 2 weeks ago a kid backed into my drivers door in his girlfriends car (he left by the way didnt even leave a note...). Luckily he had the balls to call his girlfriend and tell her, and she woke her parents up and they all just happened to come out of their house when I was standing in the street starring at my door saying WTF? SHe gave me her insureance info and she even called them the next day and started the whole process. Geico calls me, says where to take the jeep,they say I need a new door, fast forward 5 days to today when i go to pick it up...

So here is what i got and here is where I am wondering if any of you have experience with this. It is hard to tell on camera but the two blacks dont seem to match. when you look at it it is quite clear that one is different than the rest. I know my other doors have scratches but its like the black itself is different or the gloss or something. and not to mention right in the middle of the foor it looks like there is a foot print or something under the clear coat. I cleaned and rubbed the haze is underneath for sure. As well as all of this on the way home I realized my side view mirrors werent working so I pop the door panel off when I got home and they had completely destroyed my door liner when swapping it from the old door to the new door. So I am for sure going to go back and ask about the haze in the middle of the door but am I just being anal about the moisture barrier in the door and the blacks not matching or am I within reason here?

moisture barrier was perfect before and now

markings in clear coat

mismatched black

Thanks for looking, if you got any input please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,378, Level: 94 Points: 23,378, Level: 94 Points: 23,378, Level: 94
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heffercow View Post
So about 2 weeks ago a kid backed into my drivers door in his girlfriends car (he left by the way didnt even leave a note...). Luckily he had the balls to call his girlfriend and tell her, and she woke her parents up and they all just happened to come out of their house when I was standing in the street starring at my door saying WTF? SHe gave me her insureance info and she even called them the next day and started the whole process. Geico calls me, says where to take the jeep,they say I need a new door, fast forward 5 days to today when i go to pick it up...

So here is what i got and here is where I am wondering if any of you have experience with this. It is hard to tell on camera but the two blacks dont seem to match. when you look at it it is quite clear that one is different than the rest. I know my other doors have scratches but its like the black itself is different or the gloss or something. and not to mention right in the middle of the foor it looks like there is a foot print or something under the clear coat. I cleaned and rubbed the haze is underneath for sure. As well as all of this on the way home I realized my side view mirrors werent working so I pop the door panel off when I got home and they had completely destroyed my door liner when swapping it from the old door to the new door. So I am for sure going to go back and ask about the haze in the middle of the door but am I just being anal about the moisture barrier in the door and the blacks not matching or am I within reason here?

moisture barrier was perfect before and now

markings in clear coat

mismatched black

Thanks for looking, if you got any input please let me know.
It's pretty easy for me to see everything you're talking about - and no, I don't think you are being anal at all - if it was me, I probably would have never left there.

I would definitely go back and say hey guys this is sub-standard work - these are the issues, please fix it properly.

If you have some pics of that door before the accident, I'd bring them with you.

I think at a bare minimum they should re-paint that door and do a better job of matching the color - that should also take care of the footprint too.

And what they did to that door-liner is just plain butchering - I would try and get that replaced as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 01-02-2018 at 10:35 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 10:39 PM
Points: 16,175, Level: 81 Points: 16,175, Level: 81 Points: 16,175, Level: 81
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
You never know how good an insurance company is until you need them. I would definitely get Geico involved in this, they referred you to this substandard shop. If you have a local agent for your insurance I would also call them to get them involved. You have a wide audience here and Geico has already lost points for referring you to a substandard shop.
Big Blue likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,378, Level: 94 Points: 23,378, Level: 94 Points: 23,378, Level: 94
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

4WD
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek View Post
You never know how good an insurance company is until you need them. I would definitely get Geico involved in this, they referred you to this substandard shop. If you have a local agent for your insurance I would also call them to get them involved. You have a wide audience here and Geico has already lost points for referring you to a substandard shop.
Yep, have to agree with Creek here, call Geico and get them involved - I would show them the same pics you posted here, they should be more than adequate to prove your point.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 05:29 AM
Points: 3,561, Level: 37 Points: 3,561, Level: 37 Points: 3,561, Level: 37
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

4WD
Current Mileage: 135000
You "paid" for the repairs. They need to be corrected. No excuse for sub-standard work. The paint on the exterior of the door exhibits orange peel to me as well. Make them fix the issues. Get Geico involoved and send them the pics.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Points: 117, Level: 2 Points: 117, Level: 2 Points: 117, Level: 2
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 180k
Any Body Shop worth their salt would have blended into the door and fender, thus allowing the blacks to match.

Judging by the condition of the paint job you received, this body shop is NOT worth their salt, or your rime or money, even if Geico footed the bill
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 03:31 PM
Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 142,000 km
The reason the shade is off is because they used an ""off the shelf" black and didn't color match it. I have seen this issue before. Poor quality shop. They most likely get the jobs because they are cheap. They figured you wouldn't care because the rest has scratches. Take it back and file a complaint.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Points: 3,376, Level: 36 Points: 3,376, Level: 36 Points: 3,376, Level: 36
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

4WD
Current Mileage: 144k
Glad to hear I am not the only one that thinks this is an issue. I am back to work as of today so I will have to make some phone calls and see what happens. Will let you guys know. on a side note I got to thinking afterwards that maybe the reason they butchered my moisture barrier to move it over was because they are being sold anymore. a quick google search shows that I am wrong, they are still for sale and are only about $50. glad I can just add this to the list when I tell them I am unhappy. And just think if they had plugged in my side view mirrors I never would have known about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in