Jeep Commander Forum banner

Heated Second Row Seats

7K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Stircrayzy 
#1 ·
Does anyone have heated second row seats?

#2 · (Edited)
Heated 2nd row seats became available beginning with the 2008 models.

#4 ·
Thanks. I'm always here watching.

#6 ·
I'd guess that there isn't any easy way. There's no wiring run for it in earlier models, as well as no heating element in the seats. You would need to run all new wiring, get a new center console with the seat heater buttons for the second row, and find a way to put the heating element into the seats or get an entire new second row with heating elements.

#7 ·
I would have no issue with getting the parts from a newer wrecked commander and trying it, but unfortunately they are hard to come buy. There are aftermarket seat warmers that are easy to instal. Seems like the easier option.

#9 ·
My brother's Durango came with the aftermarket version that Chrysler offers installed in the front seats. They run hotter than the factory warmers but work great and are not expensive. I was thinking of getting a set and installing them myself.

#14 ·
Adding "factory" Heated Seats

Likewise. My next project is adding heated seats front & rear. I've bought the XK heated seat kit from Check Corp (original makers of Jeeps heated seat and the accessory version.) I'm getting into the wiring as I want to use the factory switches (lower control bar/ CAN-BUS signaled.) My fall back will be using the switches that come with the heated seat kit (fairly ugly round SPDT that don't support the CAN BUS.) I've also seen (and need to harvest) the rear seat heater controls w/outlet from an '09 Cherokee.

#15 ·
Hit Submit too soon. Interestingly, in my case, when I took apart the dash there is a cable in position 3 -- behind a blank / missing button face. Checking around, I see this single cable is used for heated seats (you can see this looking on ebay for heated seat switches for 08+ Commander or Grand Cherokee.)

So my Jeep appears to have the heated seat wiring already in place. Checking under the LF front seat, there is a large connector with plenty of wires going into a connector with just 2 wires coming out ... no module is present. Those two appear to be related to airbag/passenger sensing. All those other wires appear to support power adjustable + heated seating.

My thinking is, plugging in a heated seat switch lower control bar and adding a seat module -- this gets the CAN-BUS working to the seat module. Then wiring in the pads from Check Corp. Should be quite the adventure.

#16 ·
My thinking is, plugging in a heated seat switch lower control bar and adding a seat module -- this gets the CAN-BUS working to the seat module. Then wiring in the pads from Check Corp. Should be quite the adventure.
If you tackle this job @08 XK, post plenty of pics along with your write up;

A lot of members try to do a good write up of jobs or repairs they do, but, don't take any - or very few pics; A picture is worth a thousand words, as the saying goes.

#18 · (Edited)
Update -- it appears after visiting the boneyard that the power driver seat wiring loom (e.g., manual passenger seat) supports full power adjustable on both sides as well as heated seats. So the core wiring is there, including the CAN connector attached to the dead plate lower control bar. Of course the heated seat module, heating elements and switches are not. Bottom line, if you've got a power drivers seat, you can add heated seats that use the stock factory heated seat switches.

The image is from an 08XK with power driver seat only. Note all the wires on the loom side vs the seat side. The seat side only has the seatbelt wiring. The other wires on the loom side come from the drivers side. With an '08-10 donor seat harness and heated seat module, it's plug and play (of course you need to add heating elements).

Attachments

#19 ·
Confirmed that my '08 XK (with power drivers seat only) is pre-wired (main wiring loom with proper connectors but no modules, switches or other hardware) for heated front seats. Got a heated seat module (HSM) from donor, connected to the CAN, B+ and ground, and was able to toggle relay in HSM via JSCAN ODBII tool. Then got a lower donor control bar and connected it to the unused cable attached to the dead plate where heated switch connects and voila. Pushing either button toggles the relay in the HSM, turning on the lights illuminates them, etc.

Now to get the proper under seat wiring harnesses. I found a donor '08 Limited donor (took weeks to locate). Most likely I'll just get the two power seats and swap them out, replacing their black leather with my current cloth. The donor identified also has folding side view mirrors and just about every option an '08 Limited offered -- so the plot thickens to replacing & re-wiring the RHS window, lock, mirror controls too. One step at a time. Taking lots of pics and will assemble it all when complete. Thanks to all for the great threads on these topics.

#20 ·
"Factory" Heated Front Seats achieved. Just swapped out the wiring harnesses per last post, added the heating pads (found '08 NOS in local NH dealership) and poof enjoying my heated seats. Picture-wise there isn't a lot of story... get the correct wiring, plug it in and you're down. Hardest part was finding an '08 "donor" commander.

Bottom line, if you don't have heated seats but do have power adjust drivers seat, then check for a cable attached to the dead plate (lower control bar) -- if you have it then heated seats is plug and play (with the exception of adding the heating pads to the seats.)

I'll sort out the pic and part numbers now that its all done...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.