Bad News, not sure to fix or quit? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By consumedbywater
  • 1 Post By Spraygun
  • 1 Post By Big Blue
  • 1 Post By Conundrum2006
  • 1 Post By thance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Points: 485, Level: 9 Points: 485, Level: 9 Points: 485, Level: 9
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 128K
Garage
Bad News, not sure to fix or quit?

pls let me know if u want me to take this down, don't know where to put or if someone could pm someone competent in my area of North Jersey. I know this isn't everyone's problem, I'm just out of options and hope. LMK

Bad News. Horrible luck and at end of rope. NEED Competent advice if possible w little info I have now. T-Boned by truck w/Plow on driver side, side air curtain diployed ... How do I judge if she's not worth fixing? I have no Collision Ins..! Was my baby, Got $8,000.00 into 06 Hemi Limited QD2 w/OME lift with 2 mo on rebuilt trans, 138K on clock w/ no codes Elec problems or known mechanical issues besides what list below from accident. **I have NO collision insurance because no $, on disability and no brains. On disability from previous neck and brain injury. Am handy, can hang new doors etc but not mechanic and can't do everything because of previous limitations from my injury in 2008 but I am stubborn as hell. Not sure if I could get lucky and find a blk parts car etc... or what?

Damage known from driver side T-bone by plow.
1. Driver side curtain airbag deployed. Worked well!
2. both doors may need replacing / driver door won't open from outside but does from inside. All electric and doors work from inside. All windows in tact.
3. (Think it's called cross member) between both doors (may be slightly bent at about head height, if not bent on inside has deformation on outside and concerned because part of unibody and above my ability to fix)
4. Rear rim has cracked edges and needs replace and tire.
5. Right brake light from spin and striking other vehicle.
6. Few cosmetic dents
7. that's all I know now, was icy/rainy and dark but hope that's it and no tweaked frame etc.... was running and able to move after accident but police towed it because side airbag. New after accident pics and info to come.

8. NOW WHAT? should I try to sell on ebay or fix because getting major operation on neck soon and timing and finances couldn't b worse. Sorry I sound like a pathetic idiot, not looking for sympathy just so much going on and have a TBI (tramatic brain injury) and neck injury and can't think my way out of a wet paper bag at moment. thx in advance.

IDK if better to PM me or what?

Know just enough to screw up my rig good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Accident may be determined my fault so assume I may be paying for everything.

Last edited by Jerry'sXK; 02-08-2018 at 11:51 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 02:12 PM
Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
Without any pictures up yet, it's hard to determine exactly what you'll need to replace. Going off your list, though, I have this:

-Driver's side curtain air bag ~$100
-Driver's door ~$200
-Driver's side rear door ~$200
-Tail light ~$100
-Wheel ~$100
-Tire (If your tires are at all worn, you'll need to replace all 4 to avoid extra wear on your QDII system) ~$200-$800

This should all be replaceable at home, though unless you have a tire mounting machine you'll have to go into a shop for that. I priced the air bag and doors at what I could find on eBay, and didn't factor in shipping. Just off these numbers, you'll be looking at $900 or more, up to around $2k with shipping and all 4 tires factored in.

You'll also need to get estimates from a body shop about the door brace, though I imagine it isn't particularly important structurally.

As far as cosmetic problems, I'd leave those alone. A body shop could easily charge you thousands to repair those. You could also look into paintless dent repair if you want to fix them without having to repaint.

If you can come up with the money to replace all of that, I think it would be a good option. It'll allow you to keep a pretty reliable vehicle with plenty of mileage left in it.

However, if fixing it isn't in the cards, I'd imagine if you were to try selling it as is, you'd get $5k or less. You're not gonna get your money back on the new transmission or OME lift, and an '06 with 140k miles on it is worth $8k in perfect condition. A wrecked one won't be worth much at all.
Jerry'sXK likes this.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Consumedbywater - , I think I could get 2 tires, one that was wrecked and spare 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Graps G2 so I think both would be around $300. I thought the airbag was like $1000 someone said and u think I'd be able to keep all my fingers installing it? Thx so much! Sorry sound like a complaining fool, dealing w more stress my brain injury is harder to hide. thx for ur patience. Think it's doable!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 06:01 PM
Points: 5,085, Level: 45 Points: 5,085, Level: 45 Points: 5,085, Level: 45
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 253,000
The vehicle is going to be a total loss.
The thing you call the brace between the two doors is one of the most important parts of the vehicle it's called the B-pillar. It plays a crucial role of the strength of a car.
Even if you collect all the parts and try to fix it yourself. You can't straighten out anything structurally.
And it's not likely you can pull the B-pillar. You have to cut out and weld a new one in place. And we don't know if the A-pillar is messed up. Because we can't see it.
I think you said you have a cracked rim also. If that's the case you'll need an alignment and you might need suspension parts as well.You can't chance anything on your suspension.
And let's just say you did fix everything. Then you have to deal with taking care of the airbag situation. And you also will need a seat belt pre-tensioner as well, probably.And who knows what else associated with the seat belt. And you might end up having a Christmas tree in your dashboard. That could get real expensive real fast. After all it is a Chrysler product one sensor triggers another one and the domino effect begins.
I doubt you're going to find a reputable Body Shop that will be willing to do anything halfway that you've already started on. They don't want that liability. They're going to want the whole job with a credit card on file ready to go.
You might be able to find some local Yokel little body shop on the side of the road. They might do some pulling for you if they need work real, real bad.
If it makes you feel better, post some good pictures up.
Whatever you think you can come up with for cost. When you're all done figuring. Double that. And even then I doubt you'll be close.

Sorry for your loss. But you may just have to cut and run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Jerry'sXK likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,220, Level: 93 Points: 23,220, Level: 93 Points: 23,220, Level: 93
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry'sXK View Post
Consumedbywater - , I think I could get 2 tires, one that was wrecked and spare 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Graps G2 so I think both would be around $300. I thought the airbag was like $1000 someone said and u think I'd be able to keep all my fingers installing it? Thx so much! Sorry sound like a complaining fool, dealing w more stress my brain injury is harder to hide. thx for ur patience. Think it's doable!
Jerry;

I'm really sorry to hear about your accident. I was T-boned in my 08 Grand Cherokee (Vehicle I had prior to Big Blue) which was NOT my fault - some jack-off ran a red light and rammed me dead in the passenger's side front door at about 35 MPH - my 08 GC wound up being totaled, so, I have some idea what you are going through - because I was pretty depressed and out of it for about a month or so after that happened.

First and foremost, you are going to have spend the money to have her towed or flat-bedded to a reputable body/collision shop and find out if you have any frame damage - that is your biggest concern in my opinion along with the B-Pillar that @Spraygun mentioned.

I would suggest Googling collision/body shops in your area and thoroughly reading all the reviews about them, that should help you weed out all the thiefs and mediocre shops and will hopefully help you find a reputable one - if you can't just do it through word of mouth.

If the frame is good - or even if it needs just some minor straightening and you can straighten out the B-Pillar without cutting it out and welding in a new one, she's probably worth fixing - but if you have major frame damage - or if the B-Pillar can't be salvaged, it's probably time to cut your losses and move on.
Jerry'sXK likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 02-08-2018 at 09:40 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Banned
Points: 1,575, Level: 22 Points: 1,575, Level: 22 Points: 1,575, Level: 22
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%

Bad News, not sure to fix or quit?

Unfortunately there may be a lot of structural damage, even if you had full coverage insurance wouldnít likely repair it. I was talking with instance agents a week ago about our coverage and because itís over ten years old they donít recommend full coverage and they also go by cash value so depreciation plays a big role. Iím not sure if all companies are the same, what they told me was even if the vehicle can be sold for letís say $7 grand they would only pay $3 or $4 grand in cash value. The classic car we had insured wouldnít be repaired or replaced even though itís worth more than our other cars. The commander I kept full coverage on just because it has value and could be repaired. The older jeeps I didnít bother, they get damaged we will tow them home are repair them or use the parts.

You need a body shop to look at it and evaluate what is necessary, sad part is little parts like trim can nickel and dime you death.
You might be better off holding on to it for parts since you have so much in it.
If you try to sell it damaged with or without a good title itís not got a lot of value, youíd get about what junk yards pay for it, Iím guessing itíd be a thousand dollars maybe two. Not to say the junk yards will not make many times this in sales but it could take years to sell all high dollar parts like engine, transmission, transfer case, so thatís why they pay peanuts.

Talking with friends still in the JY business they say insurance companies donít really call for estimate on body parts like front clips and body shops are kind of rare too, it seems they total cars out rather than repair or use new oem and after market. Good part of this is the JY only prized the high dollar mechanical parts over the body panels, not to say they will not have proud prices but maybe if you get a good estimate on whatís needed you might be about to make a deal with a JY for pieces they have a hard time selling now.

Of course this may only be true in the south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jerry'sXK likes this.

Last edited by Conundrum2006; 02-08-2018 at 09:09 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 11:28 PM
Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 180000
Check your pm's, I sent the shop I use in the area. I don't use shops often, but anyone I'm willing to use more than once I must feel fairly positive about.....
Jerry'sXK likes this.

2010 5.7 QTII -
, Gas Tank Skid Mod,
, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17,
, Custom Tow Rings F/
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
4WD
Current Mileage: 126000
Part it out

2007 Overland with all the options (including boulder-kissed bumper)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in