Camping options - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,984, Level: 40 Points: 3,984, Level: 40 Points: 3,984, Level: 40
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 120,000
Garage
Camping options

What up Jeep Fam!

Looking into getting my family into some camping, 3 yo boy, 1 yo girl, and two dogs, and wanted to see what others out use for their camping rigs.

I currently have one of those Jeep specific tents but was thinking of keeping off the floor and going with a rooftop tent. Lots of options there. If I did that, I'd need to put gear, cooking stuff, etc., in a trailer to tow behind since we'd have the dogs in the back.

So options are:

rooftop tent with trailer for gear
OR
stash gear on top of the car in a basket and use a regular tent

I'm wanting to go in the direction that is the most convenient and easiest for a group of new campers.

TYIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 07:08 AM
Supporting Vendor
Points: 10,965, Level: 69 Points: 10,965, Level: 69 Points: 10,965, Level: 69
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Model year: 2006
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
It may be not that comfortable to use the roof top tent with little kids, so I would opt for ground based tent. You can also take a look at SUV tents with a high ceiling. They provide a very convenient space and direct access to the things in your Jeep.

https://www.carid.com/napier/sportz-suv-tent.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep Commander
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 |
|
|
|
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,176, Level: 93 Points: 23,176, Level: 93 Points: 23,176, Level: 93
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
What up Jeep Fam!

Looking into getting my family into some camping, 3 yo boy, 1 yo girl, and two dogs, and wanted to see what others out use for their camping rigs.

I currently have one of those Jeep specific tents but was thinking of keeping off the floor and going with a rooftop tent. Lots of options there. If I did that, I'd need to put gear, cooking stuff, etc., in a trailer to tow behind since we'd have the dogs in the back.

So options are:

rooftop tent with trailer for gear
OR
stash gear on top of the car in a basket and use a regular tent

I'm wanting to go in the direction that is the most convenient and easiest for a group of new campers.

TYIA!
I camp A LOT.

I actually just finished a camping trip up in Chattahoochee, FL.

I have often thought about the rooftop tent idea - and a buddy of mine who has Land Cruiser just bought one.

Here are my issues with a roof top tent;

First off, they are not cheap - they can be anywhere from 1,700.00 - $2,200.00 dollars depending on the size and make you buy - that's a lot of money for any kind of tent.

Secondly, once you set that roof-top tent up, your vehicle is pretty much out of commission as they are not quick - or easy to set up and take down. These 2 reasons alone are enough to keep me clear of them.

I am a proponent of pulling a small trailer around with all of my camping, fishing & hunting gear in it - which is what I do.

I have a small 5 x 8 enclosed utility trailer, it's big enough to fit all of my gear in it (and I have a TON of gear) without loading my vehicle full of crap - and small enough that it's not a big deal to pull it around through the woods - or on the highway.

I'm partial to the dome type of tents because they are pretty quick and easy to set-up and they will last you a while if you take care of them properly IE keep them clean and make sure they are dry before you store them.

The dome tent pictured here is a 4 man Northwest Territory tent and I have had myself and 4 kids sleep in it pretty comfortably. I actually have three different tents that are different sizes. Ozark Trail makes some pretty good dome tents too.

Always a good idea to have a screen tent too for wherever you are going to be cooking to get away from the bugs as you can see in this first pic with one of my smaller tents in the background in the winter time you probably don't need one but in the summer time they are a life-saver.

Oh and always have extra tarps - most tents come with rain-flies but they are just not enough protection if you get a good heavy rain, that's why you always see a tarp over all of my tents:

You can never have too many tables either - I have three and it still doesn't seem like enough.....LOL.

Hope this helps to give you some ideas.

Then there is also the Tent Cot option - this actually sleeps 2 adults pretty comfortably and is made by Winterial:

Last edited by Big Blue; 02-21-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in