N00B: From Toyota to Jeep... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

N00B: From Toyota to Jeep...

Hola friends!

I just sold my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, which I had purchased new in March '08. It was nice and all, but lacked backseat space. Loved wheeling it and taking it out on the beach to tow my ATV.

But now I'm considering getting a Commander. There are very well priced in the used market, so it's very likely I will get one. Given the Jeep heritage, you can't go wrong!

So my questions are few but important: What's the deal w/ the V8's? I see the Hemi and the 4.7. Which is better? I don't mean which has the most HP and TQ but rather, which is easier/cheaper to run, does the job good enough etc? Ok in short: If I get the 4.7, will I regret not getting the 5.7 down the road?

Second, I'm looking at either a limited or sport. What are the differences between the two and is either or a MUST to have?

Last (for now!) the 4WD system: I notice there are a couple variations, which is best and why and what model/engine is it available on?

Greetings from SoCal!

Thanks!

Last edited by The Godfather; 12-10-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Before we can answer those questions, what do you intend to do with the Jeep? Pavement only, off roading, pulling a trailer, do you drive a lot of hills, etc.

Both are great motors, but how you intend to use your Commander will help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Points: 6,168, Level: 51 Points: 6,168, Level: 51 Points: 6,168, Level: 51
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

I have the 5.7 HEMI and very satisfied with it. I have read lot from the forum that the HEMI is one of the best engine there is, and you can do a lot of modification compared to the 4.7. The limited has the QDII which is a very capable/good system, in the sport I think QDII is an option. I hope you will choose the commander, I am sure you will be happy with it as most or all of us here are very satified with it. Goodluck!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

I have the HEMI also and have no complaints. In fact, I think as you wander around the site, you will probably not find anyone who has the HEMI say they would rather have gotten the 4.7 - even during $5 gas I don't think anyone said that. However, there are PLENTY of people with the 4.7 that are perfectly content with it as well.

I've driven both (albeit I only drove a 4.7 very briefly) and I wouldn't trade.

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Points: 3,838, Level: 39 Points: 3,838, Level: 39 Points: 3,838, Level: 39
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

hey godfather, you may want to look at an 08 commander instead of a used one. there are great deals on 08 models. a bunch of new members on the site are getting steals. welcome to the forum.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful Ozark mountains.

Coming from a guy with the V6, I would think that you would be quite happy with the 4.7.

If you do a lot of towing then that is the minimum you would want. IMO
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Points: 330, Level: 6 Points: 330, Level: 6 Points: 330, Level: 6
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

We have the 4.7L in ours, and it's fine. I'd rather have the Hemi, but the one we found that we loved had the 4.7, and we were fine with it.

I will admit that compared to our old '97 Cherokee Sport that had a 4.0 I6, the Commander with the 4.7 V8 feels a bit sluggish in straightline acceleration. We had no problem towing our Mitsubishi coupe from Michigan to northern Virginia on a car dolly after we bought it, though. You couldn't even tell it was there. We have the optional towing package, and the 4.7 did a great job. The Mitsu we towed weighs about 2600 pounds.

On whether to get the Limited or Sport, it was a no-brainer for my wife and I. We wanted the chrome exterior trim package and the saddle brown leather interior that came with the Limited. The Limited should also hold its resale value a little better. The heated seats and automatic wipers are a nice bonus, too.

Drako, I believe QDII does not come standard on the Limited, because our Limited does not have it. It might come standard on the Hemi version of the Limited, though.

Last edited by CmdrKev; 12-11-2008 at 10:12 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Points: 848, Level: 15 Points: 848, Level: 15 Points: 848, Level: 15
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

Yeah I'm also happy with the 4.7.

Anyways, welcome to the forum!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

Thanks for the replies. I guess the 4.7 isn't bad at all then. So the limited does look better, but is it worth it?

Also, looking at prices, one can get an 06 limited 4.7 4wd for about 18k and for the same price you can get an '08 non limited w/ the same stuff. What gives? The mileage is about the same.

Any differences between the 06 and other years that are important? Any chronic issues w/ the 06 and/or the 4.7?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Points: 330, Level: 6 Points: 330, Level: 6 Points: 330, Level: 6
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Thanks for the replies. I guess the 4.7 isn't bad at all then. So the limited does look better, but is it worth it?
As far as I'm concerned, yes. It feels like a luxury vehicle inside, which is what we were looking for, and the chrome trim is really sharp. Other people probably don't need all the bells and whistles that come on the Limited, though. Just look at the features and get what fits you best, and try not to think too much about what the badge says. Like I said, we absolutely had to have the saddle brown interior and loved the chrome assist handles on the hatch and the chrome trim and wheels. If you don't need that stuff, you will probably save a little coin by going down to the Sport model.

Quote:
Also, looking at prices, one can get an 06 limited 4.7 4wd for about 18k and for the same price you can get an '08 non limited w/ the same stuff. What gives? The mileage is about the same.
It's two years older, but it's the up-model. That's why its the same price as a newer vehicle with the same options. The non-Limited is probably missing some of the features that come on the Limited, but it's a newer vehicle.

Quote:
Any differences between the 06 and other years that are important? Any chronic issues w/ the 06 and/or the 4.7?
Someone else can answer this better than I can, but generally as a vehicle progresses through it's model generation, small improvements are made on the design to make it more reliable, perform slightly better, etc... In all my research, I didn't find any major issues with the '06 compared with the newer models, and the year-to-year changes were inconsequential to us. Like I said though, someone here may know something that I didn't find in my research on the vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in