Windows and locks don't work on 2007 Limited - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BluPhant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Points: 6,425, Level: 52 Points: 6,425, Level: 52 Points: 6,425, Level: 52
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Windows and locks don't work on 2007 Limited

Greetings folks!

I have a 2007 Commander Limited that needs some work. I read this thread about the type of issue I'm experiencing. The controls on the drivers door for windows and locks are not working.

This weekend I dug in and pulled the dust boot off and immediately noted a number of wires are broken. In reading through this thread, I was set to order a replacement harness, 56048811AB, so I didn't pursue it further this weekend as I figured I'd just replace the whole mess (for $60 or so) and be done with it. Unfortunately, this is the harness for SPORT models, for my limited it looks like I need 56048813AC, which looks to retail for over $500 (I've found it for $350 online). Thats a pretty big difference, and made me reconsider trying to repair the broken wires.

So, I'm looking to see if anyone has done this previously and if so, do you have any specific recommendations?

I'm toying with the idea of detaching the harness completely and doing the patch on the workbench instead of trying to do it in-place.

-Blu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_121437-COLLAGE.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	30945  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Leather Seats/Alpine iDA-X001 HU/SC-C1 Sirius Tuner/Wheel Locks/Foglites/nüvi 200W GPS
EVIC from 2ooo GC/EVS II Security (Sentry Key)/Under-Dash Courtesy Lights/Hunter 4x4 steps
Rear Flipper Glass Pad/Trail Rated Badge/Custom tint

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

V8 4.7l Flex Fuel, Remote Start, GPS, Saddle Brown Leather, REC GPS, VES, Sirius, Tow Package

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 05:03 PM
Banned
Points: 3,376, Level: 36 Points: 3,376, Level: 36 Points: 3,376, Level: 36
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 144k
I used to have an xj that had the same issues I tried swapping in some bullet connectors to fix it because I was in the process of making my doors removable. Trying to work on those wire in that door jamb is a huge pain in the a$$. I would agree if you are trying to splice/solder in new wire it would be way easier to pull the whole harness and work on a bench. You may have to fight that boot thing and the rubber grommet that feeds through the door but 30 minutes of messing with that will save a ton of time down the road.

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-29-2018 at 06:22 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 05:33 PM
Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 142,000 km
Apparently this is a common issue on many vehicles. They make the wires too short and over time they fracture. I would suggest adding at least an extra inch in there to make sure the wires don't get stretched again resulting in another break down the road. Don't use connectors as they will add bulk and may interfere with closing. Solder sections together and use shrink sleeve to prevent open circuits.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

4WD
I ended up just ordering a new harness. All set, solved the problem completely. I thought I'd had similar issue with rear passenger side so ordered that harness as well. But magically it started working properly after the drivers front harness installed.

Couple pics for the interested.

Blu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180709_142703_1531170518466.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	32663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180709_165750_1531170534830.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	32665  
XJ99 likes this.

Leather Seats/Alpine iDA-X001 HU/SC-C1 Sirius Tuner/Wheel Locks/Foglites/nüvi 200W GPS
EVIC from 2ooo GC/EVS II Security (Sentry Key)/Under-Dash Courtesy Lights/Hunter 4x4 steps

V8 4.7l Flex Fuel, Remote Start, GPS, Saddle Brown Leather, REC GPS, VES, Sirius, Tow Package

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:35 AM
Points: 460, Level: 9 Points: 460, Level: 9 Points: 460, Level: 9
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
Current Mileage: 128000
I was on Mopar looking for the drivers side replacement as you inspired me to do so. I do have the sport model, 56048811AA is the part # for $60. The DIY in me wants to take out the original and fix. The practical side is telling me to pay the $60. My original has the cracked wires in the boot. Works most of the time, but when it rains I have some issues. Also, the rear drivers door would only roll down and not up. It will be interesting to see if its the harness or the window regulator.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:55 PM
Banned
Points: 3,376, Level: 36 Points: 3,376, Level: 36 Points: 3,376, Level: 36
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

Model year: 2008
4WD
Current Mileage: 144k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattack View Post
I was on Mopar looking for the drivers side replacement as you inspired me to do so. I do have the sport model, 56048811AA is the part # for $60. The DIY in me wants to take out the original and fix. The practical side is telling me to pay the $60. My original has the cracked wires in the boot. Works most of the time, but when it rains I have some issues. Also, the rear drivers door would only roll down and not up. It will be interesting to see if its the harness or the window regulator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhant View Post
I ended up just ordering a new harness. All set, solved the problem completely. I thought I'd had similar issue with rear passenger side so ordered that harness as well. But magically it started working properly after the drivers front harness installed.

Blu

Pretty sure these jeeps are set up like all the others I have messed with (xj, wj, wk), on those all of the windows and locks run through the main switch in the drivers door. so messed up wires in the front door could actually be messing with the others. @Mattack not sure if the harness is different but I have a complete drivers harness from a 2007 limited if you wanted to try it. Just let me know and we can work something out.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 11:42 PM
Points: 460, Level: 9 Points: 460, Level: 9 Points: 460, Level: 9
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
Current Mileage: 128000
@heffercow , I tried to PM but I found out my post count needs to be 15, I'm working on it. Let me get there and I will pm you to see what we can work out. I do have a new switch, but have not changed it out yet.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattack View Post
Well, I had the same exact thought process with a significantly more expensive part. I opted to get the harness rather than repairing it because I didn't want to have to think about it again. If you opt to repair, you're going to have to pull the whole old harness out to do it right (soldering in 2" of space is less than ideal). You'll have to be very careful with the wire holders as you are pulling it out too, as you'll have to reuse them.

Good luck with it!

Blu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in