Commander Stalling Issue - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Points: 841, Level: 15 Points: 841, Level: 15 Points: 841, Level: 15
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 65,000
Commander Stalling Issue

Hello all,

I seem to have the Commander stalling issue and i'm getting pretty aggravated with it. When first starting the Jeep and coming to the first stop sign or light, it will idle real low and stall. It always starts right back up and 99% of the time it won't stall again. Below is a list of items that i either replaced or checked. Again, this issue only seems to happen when i first start the Jeep in the morning and it seems to be only when it's cold out in the morning (40F or below). I always wait, at least 2 or more minutes before driving. I was wondering if the Jeep was running lean however, i believe that effects the gas mileage and i'm currently getting 12.4 in the city (i think that is pretty good?) . Currently i do have one code showing on the DTC , which is P0113 (intake air temp sensor high). this code came on when i replaced the alternator. I made sure that it was plugged in correctly so now i am waiting to see if enough "good start cycles" will eventually clear the codes.

If anyone has ideas on what specific items i should check to address the stalling, i would greatly appreciate the help and the support. Thanks in advance.

2006 Commander 5.7 hemi Quadradrive II 67k on the ODO

replaced the coolant temp sensor
replaced the oil temp sensor
replaced water pump
replaced alternator (12.9 volts when running the air)
cleaned the throttle body
cleaned the EGR Valve (didnt really need cleaning)
replaced heater core
cleaned the IAT sensor

*The replaced items were to address the check engine light and corresponding codes*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 03:12 PM
Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello all,

I seem to have the Commander stalling issue and i'm getting pretty aggravated with it. When first starting the Jeep and coming to the first stop sign or light, it will idle real low and stall. It always starts right back up and 99% of the time it won't stall again. Below is a list of items that i either replaced or checked. Again, this issue only seems to happen when i first start the Jeep in the morning and it seems to be only when it's cold out in the morning (40F or below). I always wait, at least 2 or more minutes before driving. I was wondering if the Jeep was running lean however, i believe that effects the gas mileage and i'm currently getting 12.4 in the city (i think that is pretty good?) . Currently i do have one code showing on the DTC , which is P0113 (intake air temp sensor high). this code came on when i replaced the alternator. I made sure that it was plugged in correctly so now i am waiting to see if enough "good start cycles" will eventually clear the codes.

If anyone has ideas on what specific items i should check to address the stalling, i would greatly appreciate the help and the support. Thanks in advance.

2006 Commander 5.7 hemi Quadradrive II 67k on the ODO

replaced the coolant temp sensor
replaced the oil temp sensor
replaced water pump
replaced alternator (12.9 volts when running the air)
cleaned the throttle body
cleaned the EGR Valve (didnt really need cleaning)
replaced heater core
cleaned the IAT sensor

*The replaced items were to address the check engine light and corresponding codes*
Did you try the relearning process on the throttle body?

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:48 PM
Points: 4,256, Level: 41 Points: 4,256, Level: 41 Points: 4,256, Level: 41
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

4WD
Current Mileage: 124000
It may have nothing to do with an electrical problem but could be related to the transmission.
I have posted about this a couple of times.
If the transmission oil pickup filter is cracked or an aftermarket transmission pickup filter is installed with a non-factory oil seal on the pickup tube where it plugs in the transmission valve body - this can cause an oil /air leak and allow air to enter into the trans fluid as it is being picked up. This will cause the transmission torque converter to not slip enough when coming to a stop and the engine will stall. When this happens if feels like the engine is idling very low or rough although it has nothing to do with the engine it is the transmission dragging the engine down.

I had this same problem and found out that the aftermarket transmission kits use a very stiff plastic type seal on the pickup filter unlike the factory seal. When the engine and trans are cold this seal is not pliable and it leaks. Usually the first thing in the morning it caused the engine to stall and as soon as I drove a short distance the heat from operation allowed the seal to become pliable and the problem would stop and everything operated normally. Sometimes just restarting after the stall everything would work fine. This was very difficult to diagnose and it is the way that the 545 RFE transmission operates that makes the toque converter stay locked up when air enters the fluid.

It just might be worth while to drop your transmission pan and replace the oil pickup filter and seal with a new OEM unit.

Dan

Last edited by bdalameda; 04-17-2018 at 11:57 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 12:26 AM
Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

4WD
Current Mileage: 142,000 km
Bad TPS will cause stalling.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

4WD
hey there. i did try the relearn however, the only process that i could find was for a Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi. Not sure if it is the same process. If you know the correct relearn process, could you please post it? Thanks for replying to my question by the way.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdalameda View Post
It may have nothing to do with an electrical problem but could be related to the transmission.
I have posted about this a couple of times.
If the transmission oil pickup filter is cracked or an aftermarket transmission pickup filter is installed with a non-factory oil seal on the pickup tube where it plugs in the transmission valve body - this can cause an oil /air leak and allow air to enter into the trans fluid as it is being picked up. This will cause the transmission torque converter to not slip enough when coming to a stop and the engine will stall. When this happens if feels like the engine is idling very low or rough although it has nothing to do with the engine it is the transmission dragging the engine down.

I had this same problem and found out that the aftermarket transmission kits use a very stiff plastic type seal on the pickup filter unlike the factory seal. When the engine and trans are cold this seal is not pliable and it leaks. Usually the first thing in the morning it caused the engine to stall and as soon as I drove a short distance the heat from operation allowed the seal to become pliable and the problem would stop and everything operated normally. Sometimes just restarting after the stall everything would work fine. This was very difficult to diagnose and it is the way that the 545 RFE transmission operates that makes the toque converter stay locked up when air enters the fluid.

It just might be worth while to drop your transmission pan and replace the oil pickup filter and seal with a new OEM unit.

Dan

Dan,

thank you very much for the insight. The way that you explained it, makes perfect sense that the transmission is "bogging" the engine down. Taking your advice.....my next project will be replacing the oil pickup filter and seal it with the OEM unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in