Hard? Starting in Very Cold Weather - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hard? Starting in Very Cold Weather

Last night, the temps here dropped into the 0 and -teens. With wind chill, it was -40 today. I expected to have SOME issue firing up the Commander this morning, and was surprised how quickly it fired up. BUT, the catch is that it made some strange noises that sounded awful - like a metal on metal screeching. It went away after about 20 seconds, but was disturbing while it was going on. Also, my tire pressure dropped about 8 pounds in each tire. Can anyone from the colder climates relate to this?

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

The tire pressue goes down in colder temps. I always have to add air in my tires, at the begining of winter.

With the temps like the -40, I would be using a good synthetic oil. The have better flow chartaristics in cold temps. I put Penzoil Platinum 5w-30 in my commadner and have been very happy with it so far, and I'm in Michigan.

Last edited by Motorcity; 12-14-2008 at 11:02 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Polar, I heard the same noises this morning, sounded like the belts spinning up in sub-zero temps. I know my tires are lower too, need to add some air tomorrow.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBZ View Post
Last night, the temps here dropped into the 0 and -teens. With wind chill, it was -40 today. I expected to have SOME issue firing up the Commander this morning, and was surprised how quickly it fired up. BUT, the catch is that it made some strange noises that sounded awful - like a metal on metal screeching. It went away after about 20 seconds, but was disturbing while it was going on. Also, my tire pressure dropped about 8 pounds in each tire. Can anyone from the colder climates relate to this?
I'm in northern B.C., Canada, and our temps have dropped to -30C at night with wind chills in excess of -40C. Heard the same sounds the first two mornings of this week until I finally found the block heater. The cord is tied to your dipstick tube (if you have one.) If not, I would buy a magnetic oil pan heater to keep that oil warm until you can get a block heater installed. Just my experience living in a winter wonderland all my life!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by discolover View Post
I'm in northern B.C., Canada, and our temps have dropped to -30C at night with wind chills in excess of -40C. Heard the same sounds the first two mornings of this week until I finally found the block heater. The cord is tied to your dipstick tube (if you have one.) If not, I would buy a magnetic oil pan heater to keep that oil warm until you can get a block heater installed. Just my experience living in a winter wonderland all my life!
Thanks for the heads up. I'm fairly certain I HAVE a block heater installed from the factory and I will definitely go hook it up tonight to keep the Commander happy in the mornings.

Any thoughts on what the horrible sounds ARE? Specifically? Any mechanically inclined people have an idea?

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Points: 2,824, Level: 32 Points: 2,824, Level: 32 Points: 2,824, Level: 32
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

Garage
Pronunciation:
\gə-ˈrzh, -ˈrj; Canada also -ˈrazh, -ˈraj; British usually ˈga-(ˌ)rzh, -(ˌ)rj, -rij\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
French, act of docking, garage, from garer to dock, from Middle French garrer, probably ultimately from Old Norse vara to beware, take care; akin to Old High German biwarōn to protect — more at ware

1 : a shelter or repair shop for automotive vehicles
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Points: 6,361, Level: 52 Points: 6,361, Level: 52 Points: 6,361, Level: 52
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

^^^

LOL

That's where mine resides... it's a chilly 37F right now... which is bizarre being as it was almost 80F this afternoon!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 01:56 AM
Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBZ View Post
Welcome to the North! Yeah, pressure drop in the tires is normal. It is usually just from the condensing of air, but occasionally the cold can reveal leaks, but normally once you add air you are good. As far as the screeching, my guess it is the power steering pump. Always a wonderful sound ;-)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 02:14 AM
Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

it dropped to zero here today too. Had no problems with my commander, but i did add air in the tires.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

The most common sound is the power steering pump cavitating. And, as you noted, the oil within began to circulate within about 30 seconds. This is normal for just about any vehicle. I swear, even the owners manual mentioned this potental but I guess I'll have to re-read it again to find the page.
Regardless, fear not, all is well.
As far as tire pressure, keep in mind that they lose 1lb. pressure for every 7 degree drop in ambient temp.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in