Jealous...but inspired - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Points: 3,984, Level: 40 Points: 3,984, Level: 40 Points: 3,984, Level: 40
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 120,000
Garage
Jealous...but inspired

Anyone watch the series on YouTube Expedition Overland? It's about a few guys, even spouses sometimes, taking their rigs all over; unfortunately, they're Toyota's and not Jeep's lol. There's another channel of a guy who just straight up lives in his wrangler.

It is a fascinating show and I often find myself feeling extremely jealous of their adventures, probably because my day to day is ridiculously busy.

Alas, after some heavy thinking and a serious discussion with the wifey, I've decided to take the commander on my first serious camping trip this summer with my 4 yo boy and two dogs on a 4-5 day trip up the CA coast and down through the mountains. Not really overland but a step in the right direction.

Now to get BadJuju all rigged up!!

What are your overland/camping plans?
What are your overland/camping experiences in the Commander?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,354, Level: 94 Points: 23,354, Level: 94 Points: 23,354, Level: 94
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
4WD
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
I'm out in the woods camping whenever I possibly can be - that's the whole purpose of having a Commander in my eyes.

I usually throw a few pics up here on the forum after each trip - at least I have been the last couple of years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:39 PM
Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
I've taken mine out to a few different places, like Oceano Dunes and Hollister Hills SVRA in California. I always sleep in the back of my Commander with my dog, and there's plenty of room for both of us with an ice chest and a couple bags. Nobody else in my group can manage that with their Wranglers and Toyotas.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)

Last edited by consumedbywater; 04-20-2018 at 11:01 PM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post
I've taken mine out to a few different places, like Oceano Dunes and Hollister Hills OHV in California. I always sleep in the back of my Commander with my dog, and there's plenty of room for both of us with an ice chest and a couple bags. Nobody else in my group can manage that with their Wranglers and Toyotas.
That’s cool! I’m not too far from Hollister so I gotta check that out.

Once I can afford it I’m really thinking of getting a rooftop tent. Also thinking of getting a trailer for all the gear like Big Blue.

Also came up on some free 285/70/75’s today. I know they don’t fit but it has the mind wondering...😆
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:11 PM
Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Thatís cool! Iím not too far from Hollister so I gotta check that out.

Once I can afford it Iím really thinking of getting a rooftop tent. Also thinking of getting a trailer for all the gear like Big Blue.

Also came up on some free 285/70/75ís today. I know they donít fit but it has the mind wondering...😆
It's a fun park, and you should be able to get through a lot of obstacles with only a 2" lift. Jungle is one of the more difficult trails I've run and you'll need to expect paint damage if you run it. Also definitely don't run it alone. But you should be able to get through most blue roads on the map.

I would gamble on 285/70s, personally. I was able to fit 265/70R18s on an RC lift with minor rubbing after trimming my wheel liners, and a 285/70R17 is only a bit larger.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:09 AM
Points: 1,241, Level: 19 Points: 1,241, Level: 19 Points: 1,241, Level: 19
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 110,000
Garage
Quote:
Anyone watch the series on YouTube Expedition Overland? It's about a few guys, even spouses sometimes, taking their rigs all over; unfortunately, they're Toyota's and not Jeep's lol. There's another channel of a guy who just straight up lives in his wrangler.

It is a fascinating show and I often find myself feeling extremely jealous of their adventures, probably because my day to day is ridiculously busy.

Alas, after some heavy thinking and a serious discussion with the wifey, I've decided to take the commander on my first serious camping trip this summer with my 4 yo boy and two dogs on a 4-5 day trip up the CA coast and down through the mountains. Not really overland but a step in the right direction.

Now to get BadJuju all rigged up!!

What are your overland/camping plans?
What are your overland/camping experiences in the Commander?
It’s a great show, I’ve been watching them since I believe their second expedition. Good on them for finally getting sponsored and making a business out of their passions, however, a lot of their new content now seems to be a Toyota, WARN, Equipt, ARB, etc commercial. A lot of the trips they’ve taken lately I bet could have just as easily, albeit in a more involved way, accomplished with a pop-up tent and a $20 Walmart cooler.

The IamJake guy you’re referring too can be entertaining as well, I mostly watch him for the pupper he carries around. I enjoy his thirst for knowledge, adventure and the fact that he doesn’t make himself an elitest. He seems to be genuinely at the mercy of his fellow Jeepers and repair shops.

I’ve yet to take the Commander out on anything too too technical, however, I did take my Xterra on quite a few adventures. It has open diffs but what Nissan referred to as a ABLS (Active braking locking diffs i.e. the computer detects wheel slippage and brakes the slipping tire so the tire with traction can get you unstuck). Despite having a longer wheel base, I’d feel more confident with this QD-II system than I did in the Xterra, which says a lot.... cause I took that thing to extremes and it never missed a beat.

In terms of plans, none yet. Hopefully soon!

Should have been a cowboy...

Last edited by ccg1018; 04-23-2018 at 10:35 AM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post
It's a fun park, and you should be able to get through a lot of obstacles with only a 2" lift. Jungle is one of the more difficult trails I've run and you'll need to expect paint damage if you run it. Also definitely don't run it alone. But you should be able to get through most blue roads on the map.

I would gamble on 285/70s, personally. I was able to fit 265/70R18s on an RC lift with minor rubbing after trimming my wheel liners, and a 285/70R17 is only a bit larger.
Interesting...once I get the lift and spacers installed I'll take it all to a shop that can give me an in-person assessment. Thanks for the info!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg1018 View Post
Itís a great show, Iíve been watching them since I believe their second expedition. Good on them for finally getting sponsored and making a business out of their passions, however, a lot of their new content now seems to be a Toyota, WARN, Equipt, ARB, etc commercial. A lot of the trips theyíve taken lately I bet could have just as easily, albeit in a more involved way, accomplished with a pop-up tent and a $20 Walmart cooler.

The IamJake guy youíre referring too can be entertaining as well, I mostly watch him for the pupper he carries around. I enjoy his thirst for knowledge, adventure and the fact that he doesnít make himself an elitest. He seems to be genuinely at the mercy of his fellow Jeepers and repair shops.

Iíve yet to take the Commander out on anything too too technical, however, I did take my Xterra on quite a few adventures. It has open diffs but what Nissan referred to as a ABLS (Active braking locking diffs i.e. the computer detects wheel slippage and brakes the slipping tire so the tire with traction can get you unstuck). Despite having a longer wheel base, Iíd feel more confident with this QD-II system than I did in the Xterra, which says a lot.... cause I took that thing to extremes and it never missed a beat.

In terms of plans, none yet 😞 Hopefully soon!
It's true the show has a lot more commercialization and stuff, still it is entertaining. Too bad there isn't one centered around Jeeps, or at least I haven't seen it yet. Funny you mention that about the Xterra because I almost got that before deciding on the Commander lol
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Points: 1,241, Level: 19 Points: 1,241, Level: 19 Points: 1,241, Level: 19
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

4WD
Current Mileage: 110,000
Garage
Quote:
It's true the show has a lot more commercialization and stuff, still it is entertaining. Too bad there isn't one centered around Jeeps, or at least I haven't seen it yet. Funny you mention that about the Xterra because I almost got that before deciding on the Commander lol
It's one heck of a rig, but the Commander has so many more creature comforts. About a year ago when shopping for a car my wife felt the Commander was too big for her, so we settled on the X. I sold my G35 and picked up the Commander about a month ago because I needed a capable rig and was tired of fighting her for the keys to the X.

I still have what I call "Wrangler Envy" because I really wish I could afford a Wrangler or that other vehicles had such a supported aftermarket. I supposed that's why I partially it doesn't hurt that Jeep doesn't also have a series such as Expedition Overland. There's plenty of Wrangler and Cherokee XJ entertainment on YT though. Not much on the Commander unfortunately.

Should have been a cowboy...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:08 PM
Points: 669, Level: 13 Points: 669, Level: 13 Points: 669, Level: 13
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

4WD
Current Mileage: 131,000
To be completely honest, I've been "overlanding" in my Commander for the past two years. I haven't had a "house" since Sept. of 16. My work requires me to travel so much on short notice I got tired of expelling so much for hotel rooms...

The XK, in my opinion is the cats a$* for "overlanding"...

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Big Blue; 04-27-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in