Flooded/water damage: EMERGENCY - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bdalameda

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,823, Level: 25 Points: 1,823, Level: 25 Points: 1,823, Level: 25
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 180,000
Garage
Flooded/water damage: EMERGENCY

Lets get the "stupid me" part out of the way. Drove the commander through a flooded part of the trail. The stupid part is I know better. I should have explored the mud hole to get an idea as to how deep it was. Got distracted in conversation and kept driving through.Got stuck half way through. It got real deep real fast.(see photo) The engine was never submersed. Thankfully! The all important computer box under the drivers seat was totally submerged for aprox. 45min. The interior fuse block on drivers side, under the dash was under water as well. The two fuse panels in the engine compartment were safe from the water though. After being pulled out the jeep started and ran fine. No problems. I was expecting to have some kind of electrical issues. Drivers power window control only works sometimes. Various warning lights will come on in dash. The strangest issue is while driving at a constant speed the speedometer needle will bounce around +/- 15 MPH. Will be pulling the front seats tomorrow. So the carpet and pad can be dried out. What is the best course of action in regard to trying to fix electrical problems ? My plan is to remove all fuses and vacuum to remove all water ( if there is any) There is very little electical that doesn't work in comparison to what dose work. So I'm thinking there maybe hope for the rest. Recommendations ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flooded_jeep01.jpg (341.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg flooded_jeep02_edited-1.jpg (418.4 KB, 94 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:23 AM
Points: 5,085, Level: 45 Points: 5,085, Level: 45 Points: 5,085, Level: 45
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 253,000
Well I can tell you. After Hurricane Harvey. Insurance companies were totalling out all flooded Vehicles, this time around. They're not going to mess with electrical Gremlins anymore. If the carpet even got wet, it was an automatic total. So whatever you do don't file an insurance claim.
My opinion is,some of your problems may continue to get worse over time.
But if you're determined to keep driving what you have.Maybe you can live with some of the lights? I personally don't want an airbag to deploy in my face without me expecting it. You should keep that in the back of your mind every time you get the driver seat.
Aside from that, pull all the carpet and seats out. You'll need to spray the metal floor board with some sort of enzyme to kill the bacteria.
Obviously pressure wash and soap the carpet. Separate the padding from the carpet if possible. If your model has padding that's glued to the carpet, and it's rubber foam molded. Throw the whole thing away and buy new. If the padding separates from the carpet, you can pressure wash and soap the carpet. Keep the carpet and just replace the padding.
You need to buy 2 or 3 cans of high quality contact cleaner. Spray that material on every single electrical plug, fuse panel and seat motors if they got wet. Make sure you unplug every connection and spray inside there too. If your airbag light is ever on, and stays on, while your car is running. That means you have no airbag system that is operational. But because everything got wet. That doesn't mean that it won't deploy. If your airbag light never comes on then you might be alright.
I don't know how many electrical modules got wet. Because your pictures don't tell the whole story. But you can buy and replace as many modules as you can afford. Most importantly. Make sure you
de-energize everything,before you spray it down.
Hopefully this vehicle is not your daily driver.
Here's a couple of pictures of what you might need to buy.
Good luck.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:10 AM
Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Model year: 2010
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 180000
Was the engine off while in the water? Was the tailpipe submersed? Check for water in engine oil... Better yet, just change oil.

How deep were you? Commanders are rated for about 20" if I recall.... That means all breather hoses go at least that high.... But check fluids in both diffs, xfer case and tranny... I would recommend changing them all if you were above that level. Water will be on the bottom and not easy to detect without draining all oils.

2010 5.7 QTII -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Gas Tank Skid Mod,
, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17,
, Custom Tow Rings F/

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
The engine was turned off immediately. Tail pipe was never in the water. Feel the engine is safe from any damaged. Based on the water level. Btw, there is no computer box under the drivers seat. This seems good. Sense it most certainly has to be in a higher location. I'm currently doing a hard reset to the TIPM (fuse box). And have the carpet pulled out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:04 PM
Points: 4,256, Level: 41 Points: 4,256, Level: 41 Points: 4,256, Level: 41
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 124000
There is a product called CorrosionX. It is a water displacement and anti corrosion spray that is dielectric. Used by the military on boats for electronic equipment and aircraft. You can literally spray directly in motors, alternators, connections, circuit boards etc. and save electronics from water intrusion. It will leave an oily dielectric film to continue protecting these components from corrosion. Can be used as a lubricant as well for rusted or wet mechanical parts. It has a thin film creeping action which draws it into tight spots. I have used this product for years on sensitive electronics and have personally seen wetted electronics that are inoperative because of water brought back to life by soaking the circuit boards in the product and then re-installing.
Big Blue likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Thanks ! Will diffidently get my hands on some of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in