V6 2WD Traction Control - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,080, Level: 17 Points: 1,080, Level: 17 Points: 1,080, Level: 17
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 50,000
V6 2WD Traction Control

I have been doing some research on the V6 4WD systems because I have considered getting the components to make my 2WD a 4WD. The sixers don't have any electronic control on the 4WD systems. They use the brake to slow the wheel that is spinning which would send the power to the other wheel on that axel. So it appears that a swap would be relatively easy since it would only require adding a transfer case, drives shaft and front differential components. No extra wire harness or computer stuff.

Also does that the traction control on the 2WD V6 work the same on the rear differential making the open dif work like a limited slip? Because I have been shopping for and researching LSD's for my "what I thought what was a one legger".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,354, Level: 94 Points: 23,354, Level: 94 Points: 23,354, Level: 94
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyz2 View Post
I have been doing some research on the V6 4WD systems because I have considered getting the components to make my 2WD a 4WD. The sixers don't have any electronic control on the 4WD systems. They use the brake to slow the wheel that is spinning which would send the power to the other wheel on that axel. So it appears that a swap would be relatively easy since it would only require adding a transfer case, drives shaft and front differential components. No extra wire harness or computer stuff.

Also does that the traction control on the 2WD V6 work the same on the rear differential making the open dif work like a limited slip? Because I have been shopping for and researching LSD's for my "what I thought what was a one legger".
I'm not 100% sure what you mean when you say they don't have any electronic control - but if you mean electronic stability control, you are dead wrong.

I had a 2008 WK with the 3.7L V-6 and QT-I 4WD and it absolutely did come with electronic stability control and 4 wheel traction control and I'm 100% positive QT-I on the V-6 Commanders is no different, so, if you plan on doing that swap, you will most definitely be dealing with those 2 components.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 06-14-2018 at 10:43 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
I'm not 100% sure what you mean when you say they don't have any electronic control - but if you mean electronic stability control, you are dead wrong.

I had a 2008 WK with the 3.7L V-6 and QT-I 4WD and it absolutely did come with electronic stability control and 4 wheel traction control and I'm 100% positive QT-I on the V-6 Commanders is no different, so, if you plan on doing that swap, you will most definitely be dealing with those 2 components.

From what I read, they don't have any electrical or air going to the differential. It is an open dif that the traction control brakes the spinning tire to allow the tire with traction to get power.

The question I am more interested in is does my 2wd put the brakes on the spinning tire allowing the tire with traction to get power? It has traction control because there is a button that allows me to turn it off. I don't know if that is the power traction control or just an abs type. I hope it uses the brakes on the rear to make it act like a limited slip. Ive watched videos of them full time all wheel drive v6's going anywhere the higher end ones can so it works good enough without the lockers. I just want to know if I get a tire in the mud on a rainy day am I going to get stuck. If I am one legged I am going to change the dif to a limited slip. If it has the system that applies the brake to the loose wheel that will be good enough for me. Nothing worse than getting stuck because of being one legged.

My S10 Extreme has a LSD and it goes through mud and snow great as long as its not to deep. Even sand. I haven't had a one legger for 15 years because I got tired of getting stuck. I just want to know if I am one legged or not so I can fix it if I am or relax knowing I have power to the wheel with the most traction.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,354, Level: 94 Points: 23,354, Level: 94 Points: 23,354, Level: 94
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
From what I read, they don't have any electrical or air going to the differential. It is an open dif that the traction control brakes the spinning tire to allow the tire with traction to get power.

The question I am more interested in is does my 2wd put the brakes on the spinning tire allowing the tire with traction to get power? It has traction control because there is a button that allows me to turn it off. I don't know if that is the power traction control or just an abs type. I hope it uses the brakes on the rear to make it act like a limited slip. Ive watched videos of them full time all wheel drive v6's going anywhere the higher end ones can so it works good enough without the lockers. I just want to know if I get a tire in the mud on a rainy day am I going to get stuck. If I am one legged I am going to change the dif to a limited slip. If it has the system that applies the brake to the loose wheel that will be good enough for me. Nothing worse than getting stuck because of being one legged.

My S10 Extreme has a LSD and it goes through mud and snow great as long as its not to deep. Even sand. I haven't had a one legger for 15 years because I got tired of getting stuck. I just want to know if I am one legged or not so I can fix it if I am or relax knowing I have power to the wheel with the most traction.
Electrical and electronic are 2 completely different words with completely different meanings.

I've never dealt with 2WD Commanders, so unfortunately, I don't have much experience them - maybe someone else here does.

I was just chiming in with what I do know about the QT-I 4WD system that the XK V-6's use, which is what you'd be switching over to if you swapped over to a 4WD system - and it does have Electronic Stability control & Traction control.

Last edited by Big Blue; 06-16-2018 at 02:15 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 12:56 PM
Points: 7,842, Level: 59 Points: 7,842, Level: 59 Points: 7,842, Level: 59
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 33000
The 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive XK's to my knowledge both use the abs based traction control you're referencing.

Hopefully someone who's researched or done a 2wd to 4wd 3.6 conversion will chime in. But if not, before you start buying stuff, my recommendation would be to get 1. a genuine Jeep XK service manual (NOT a Chilton or Haines, etc). and 2. a Jeep XK parts manual.

The parts manual is a big help for telling if wiring harnesses and computer modules etc are different. IF you need different computer modules, and IF they need to be registered with the ECM/PCM, that MAY require reprogramming your ECM/PCM. Something that would require Chrysler engineering involvement or replacing yours with a used one from a correctly equipped vehicle.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer9 View Post
The 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive XK's to my knowledge both use the abs based traction control you're referencing.

Hopefully someone who's researched or done a 2wd to 4wd 3.6 conversion will chime in. But if not, before you start buying stuff, my recommendation would be to get 1. a genuine Jeep XK service manual (NOT a Chilton or Haines, etc). and 2. a Jeep XK parts manual.

The parts manual is a big help for telling if wiring harnesses and computer modules etc are different. IF you need different computer modules, and IF they need to be registered with the ECM/PCM, that MAY require reprogramming your ECM/PCM. Something that would require Chrysler engineering involvement or replacing yours with a used one from a correctly equipped vehicle.
The swap to 4wd is just a pipe dream that would only happen if relatively simple. Just bolt the parts on. If I need to change wiring harnesses or have computars relashed, it would defeat the purpose. If ic ould find a wreck with all the parts I need and its not complicated, I might do it. Most times its just better to sell the 2wd and buy a 4wd. I know this. but if all I had to do is bolt on the transfer case and front differential it would be worth considering as I have a very low mileage Jeep.

But I definitely am going to make sure I have power to both wheels when needed on the back. I think the easiest way to find out would be to find a hill and just watch the left rear with door open. Most one leggers spin the right when both sides are slippery. I predict if I watch the left wheel I will feel the rpms go up and left will not be spinning at first but then will start spinning. If its a one legger it will just bury the right wheel. I hope it has the TC because I am not rich. : )
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

2WD
Well, I went hill climbing.
I set my side mirror so I could see my LR tire so I wouldn't have to hang out of the door or window.
First I went up over this short but steep little mound. I felt tire spin as I was watching the LR tire and it didn't spin then it did. It was a very brief delay after the RR broke loose. I got out and went and looked and sure enough I could see my tracks before and during spin and both spun. I was like....YES! So there was this pretty tall and steep raggid hill and I thought....why not? So I started up and could feel the TC working. I was just creeping up it a few miles an hour and it went up without any issues until I got to the top where it got much steeper just before the top. I knew I would need a little more speed to get over that crest so I gave it some more gas and it went good but then when it broke loose the motor cut and forced me to crawl. It didn't make the crest. I had to back down. I was going to try again and try to maintain a little faster speed but I learned what I wanted to know and didn't know if I was on private property or what. It was just a vacant big hill off the main drag.

I know I'm getting power to both wheels and that is great news. Very happy about that. Not happy the TC will kill engine power when I needed it. Because I know I would have easily drifted over that crest. It was pulling good. I also know a 1 legged vehicle would not have had a chance getting up the first 20 feet at a crawl.

So the plain Jane 2WD's have the same rear traction as the 4WD V6ers. At least mine does.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

2WD
So I called a junk yard today to inquire about buying the parts I need to convert my 2wd to 4wd. He said I would need a different rear tail housing on the trans, the transfer case, front driveshaft, rear driveshaft and front differential. He didn't know about any of the electronics. He also said that if he had one in stock I could get all I needed to make the conversion for 1000.00. Considering it is all just bolt ons it seems like a cheap upgrade. I'm sure my Jeep would increase in value at least 1000.00 if it had the 4wd. My first junkyard inquiry. Going to do more and try pick as many brains as possible to find out exactly what will be needed. Another thing is Im registered as a 2wd and from what I have heard the 4x4's are much higher rates for insurance. That might make this deal even better than selling and buying one factory equipped with 4wd. Im not going 4 wheeling for fun, just want it just in case I need it in snow or mud. I do wish there was a way to put the transfer case in neutral to cut back on rotational mass when not need. Hubs too.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
Quote:
So I called a junk yard today to inquire about buying the parts I need to convert my 2wd to 4wd. He said I would need a different rear tail housing on the trans, the transfer case, front driveshaft, rear driveshaft and front differential. He didn't know about any of the electronics. He also said that if he had one in stock I could get all I needed to make the conversion for 1000.00. Considering it is all just bolt ons it seems like a cheap upgrade. I'm sure my Jeep would increase in value at least 1000.00 if it had the 4wd. My first junkyard inquiry. Going to do more and try pick as many brains as possible to find out exactly what will be needed. Another thing is Im registered as a 2wd and from what I have heard the 4x4's are much higher rates for insurance. That might make this deal even better than selling and buying one factory equipped with 4wd. Im not going 4 wheeling for fun, just want it just in case I need it in snow or mud. I do wish there was a way to put the transfer case in neutral to cut back on rotational mass when not need. Hubs too.
I think the big issues you're going to run into will be with the computer. I doubt a dealership will touch this sort of project, so you'll need someone who can reprogram your ECU, or someone who can program an ECU out of a 4WD donor to your vehicle.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

2WD
If I did this I would use a same year donor and if needed would use the ECU from that so I would assume it wouldn't need any re-flashing. Also, if it (4WD) is always on my electronics wouldn't need to control it. And since I already have 4 wheel abs it would work on the front tires the same as the rear. If one starts spinning it would put the brake on that tire allowing the power to transfer to the other tire. Making the front and rear diffs like limited slip diffs. That would be really cool if that was the case. I cant find anyone that has done it or knows for certain what all if anything else would be needed to do the conversion other than the case, shafts and front diff. I am pretty sure I would get at least a 3WD without any electronic swaps. And if needed I could just get whatever I need from the same year donor and install it.
The V6 4WD does not have all the fancy stuff the v8's have and I think some of the basic V8's have the same system as the V6. There has to be at least one person out there that has tried it. Where is he? If not I might become that person.

Last edited by chuckyz2; 06-23-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in