Chrome grille, limited only? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 170k
Chrome grille, limited only?

My 07 commander is a sport. Ive downloaded the build sheet.When I got it the guy told me that its had the front nose replaced a few times due to accidents. The jeep currently has the chrome grille and the bumper cover has the slots for the chrome accent under the bumper. It did not have fog lights. ( It does now, LOL). So. I figured that some body shop must have gotten parts off of a limited and used them. Ive done it. I changed the grille to chrome on my JGC I used to own. But lo and behold, my build sheet lists "Bright grille" as an option. So I have 2 questions. Could you order the chrome grille as an option without the limited package? And, if you get the chrome grille do you automatically get the chrome accent under the bumper? Oh, its also supposed to have "trail rated" badges on the fenders which it does not. Probably left off after paint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Points: 1,514, Level: 22 Points: 1,514, Level: 22 Points: 1,514, Level: 22
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%

Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 158,000
Limited shiny grill, overland have a more seduce shiny grill if it make sense. the bottom part is extra. I would hit the yard and look for it.

Jeep Commander 5.7L QD-II
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,220, Level: 93 Points: 23,220, Level: 93 Points: 23,220, Level: 93
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
4WD
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbuff View Post
My 07 commander is a sport. Ive downloaded the build sheet.When I got it the guy told me that its had the front nose replaced a few times due to accidents. The jeep currently has the chrome grille and the bumper cover has the slots for the chrome accent under the bumper. It did not have fog lights. ( It does now, LOL). So. I figured that some body shop must have gotten parts off of a limited and used them. Ive done it. I changed the grille to chrome on my JGC I used to own. But lo and behold, my build sheet lists "Bright grille" as an option. So I have 2 questions. Could you order the chrome grille as an option without the limited package? And, if you get the chrome grille do you automatically get the chrome accent under the bumper? Oh, its also supposed to have "trail rated" badges on the fenders which it does not. Probably left off after paint?
@Carbuff;

To answer your 2 questions in short order:

1) Yes you could get the Chrome/Bright Grille as an option without having the Limited Trim Package.

2) No, you do not get the Chrome Fascia piece underneath the front bumper automatically, when you have a Chrome/Bright Grille. The Chrome Fascia piece underneath the front bumper is exclusive to the Limited & Overland Trim packages - however you could order it separately and add it yourself if you chose to.

The Chrome Grille was not a "Limited only" option; I have a 2008 Sport and mine came with a chrome grille from the factory but it did not come with the Chrome fascia piece under the front bumper cover. The Sport can come with either a Chrome Grille or a Painted Grille depending on what option was specified when the original owner ordered it. The Chrome Grille would be listed as "Bright Grille" on your build sheet, if it was ordered that way from the factory. You have already stated that's what your build sheet says, so, that question is already answered.

I believe the factory bumper covers for all trim packages come with the slots underneath for the Chrome Fascia Piece, simply for ease of production. If it's a "Limited" or "Overland" trim package, they add the Chrome fascia piece on the assembly line, if it's a Sport they simply leave it "as is".

The External Chrome accents that are typically "Limited and/or Overland only" accents are the Roof Rails with the Chrome finish on the sides, the Chrome Fascia piece under the front bumper cover, the Rear Chrome Grab handles, the Chrome Trim right above the rear license plate on the rear hatch for the rear hatch door handle and the Chrome body-side door moldings.

As far as if your XK should have Trail-Rated Badges - this link explains what equipment/options your Commander is required to have from the factory to be "Trail-Rated" by Jeep:

https://bthefloridacommandersclub.runboard.com/t25

Also, the Trail Rated badge would be listed on your factory build sheet if your XK came with one from the factory - and FYI, the factory only put Trail Rated badges on the Driver's side front fender on Commanders. Of course that doesn't mean you couldn't order a 2nd Trail Rated Badge and put it on the passenger's side front fender if you wanted it to look uniform - that's what I did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-21-2018 at 09:39 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Thanks, guys. I have the build sheet. I got it just the way you described. It lists "trail rated" badges as an option. It also lists a lot of cryptic stuff that I dont understand exactly. If it lists 7 gallons of extra fuel, what does that mean? A bigger gas tank, or thats how much would be in the tank when delivered? Also, I dont have any of the other chrome accents, just the grille and the slots in the bumper for where the lower accent would attach. Its tough trying to figure out whats correct on a vehicle thats been taken apart so many times.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Thanks, guys. I have the build sheet. I got it just the way you described. It lists "trail rated" badges as an option. It also lists a lot of cryptic stuff that I dont understand exactly. If it lists 7 gallons of extra fuel, what does that mean? A bigger gas tank, or thats how much would be in the tank when delivered? Also, I dont have any of the other chrome accents, just the grille and the slots in the bumper for where the lower accent would attach. Its tough trying to figure out whats correct on a vehicle thats been taken apart so many times.
I believe the 7 gallons of gas is what it was delivered with initially from the factory - everyone's build sheet lists it the same way.

You should have a Trail-Rated Badge on your driver's side front fender - if you don't, that's the only thing it sounds like you're missing, everything else sounds correct for a Sport Model - no chrome at all on a Sport - other than the Bright Grille if you have that option - which we've already established you do.

All the Chrome you see on mine I added myself.

Here are some pics of Big Blue the day I bought her - this is how she came from the factory because the original owner who was a 66 year old woman did ZERO modifications:

Big difference from that to this:

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-22-2018 at 08:41 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Sharp looking Jeep. Maybe I notice the slots on the front bumper cover because its white, and the slots leave a black void. Im also missing the "spoiler" that goes under the bumper too.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Sharp looking Jeep. Maybe I notice the slots on the front bumper cover because its white, and the slots leave a black void. Im also missing the "spoiler" that goes under the bumper too.
Post some pics so I can see what you're talking about.

Are you talking about that piece of black plastic underneath? Not a big deal....I'd just order it and slap it on there, can't be very difficult.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-22-2018 at 08:35 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
Quote:

Personally, I prefer the look without the front air dam. Mine came off the first time I took mine out on the dunes anyway.
Big Blue likes this.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post
Personally, I prefer the look without the front air dam. Mine came off the first time I took mine out on the dunes anyway.
That's a very good point cbw.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

4WD
This is what I mean about the slots for the chrome part. I believe there are different part numbers for the bumper cover, with or without chrome accent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180822_173521.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	32833  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in