Since when are the HEMI's fixed against valve seats dropping? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Points: 275, Level: 5 Points: 275, Level: 5 Points: 275, Level: 5
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 105000
Since when are the HEMI's fixed against valve seats dropping?

Hi, I'd like to know the answer. I read about valve seats dropping in the early HEMI's. That suggest Chrysler has remedied this issue on their later engines. Does anyone know since when?

Also, is there anything that can be done to prevent this?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,299, Level: 93 Points: 23,299, Level: 93 Points: 23,299, Level: 93
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrOrvis View Post
Hi, I'd like to know the answer. I read about valve seats dropping in the early HEMI's. That suggest Chrysler has remedied this issue on their later engines. Does anyone know since when?

Thank you!
I believe this issue was addressed in the 09 & later models.

There really isn't much you can do to prevent it - other just keeping up with your regular maintenance/service schedule.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-28-2018 at 07:39 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 07:12 PM
Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
Quote:

Thank you!

It was addressed in the '09 and '10 models which got the redesigned VVT Hemi.

As far as preventing it goes, you give yourself the best chance of avoiding it by keeping engine temps down. Overheating greatly increases the risk of something warping and allowing a valve seat to drop. In fact, almost all valve seat drops are on an engine that's overheated once in its life.

You could also pull the heads and replace the valve seats to completely prevent the problem, but expect a shop to charge a thousand dollars to do this work.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
I believe this issue was addressed in the 09 & later models.

There really isn't much you can do to prevent it - other just keeping up with your regular maintenance/service schedule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post
It was addressed in the '09 and '10 models which got the redesigned VVT Hemi.

As far as preventing it goes, you give yourself the best chance of avoiding it by keeping engine temps down. Overheating greatly increases the risk of something warping and allowing a valve seat to drop. In fact, almost all valve seat drops are on an engine that's overheated once in its life.

You could also pull the heads and replace the valve seats to completely prevent the problem, but expect a shop to charge a thousand dollars to do this work.
Thank you guys... That means I am playing the Russian roulette with my 2006/7 engine... I will consider importing the refurbished heads and have them swapped before **** hits the fan...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Thank you guys... That means I am playing the Russian roulette with my 2006/7 engine... I will consider importing the refurbished heads and have them swapped before **** hits the fan...
That's probably the thing to do if you have the budget.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:16 PM
Points: 4,256, Level: 41 Points: 4,256, Level: 41 Points: 4,256, Level: 41
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

4WD
Current Mileage: 124000
One thing worth considering - on forums one mostly hears the bad news when something goes wrong, like the posts from Chrysler owners that have had dropped valve seats with the 5.7 Hemi engine. It is also true that there are tens of thousands or more 5.7 Hemi engines out there that have not had this issue, but one never hears about that on forums. It is not necessarily inevitable that this is going to happen. My 06 Hemi Commander now has 147,000 miles on it. So far no problems. (knock on wood) I have heard of many 05-07 Hemi engines in Dodge Ram trucks that have over 200k miles without any problems. If you have 2 out of each 100 (2%) engines that have this problem, which is probably a conservative number, that may represent hundreds or thousands of engines that have had this problem, but it also means that you have a 98% chance you won't have that particular problem with your engine. It's important to keep things in perspective.

Last edited by bdalameda; 08-29-2018 at 08:19 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdalameda View Post
I have heard of many 05-07 Hemi engines in Dodge Ram trucks that have over 200k miles without any problems. If you have 2 out of each 100 (2%) engines that have this problem, which is probably a conservative number, that may represent hundreds or thousands of engines that have had this problem, but it also means that you have a 98% chance you won't have that particular problem with your engine. It's important to keep things in perspective.
Yup, that's part of my equation now... I am considering the risks vs costs...

I've learned from the service bulletin, that it affects vehicles with engines VIN D, T and Z. Where do I find that in the VIN code? Mr. Google says eight digit indicates the engine type, but my VIN does not contain any letter on 8th position... Any advice? Or anyone understand the bulletin differently (my english could be blamed for wrong understanding of the bulletin)

My VIN code: 1J8H3E8257Y549923
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HEMI.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	32847  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Yup, that's part of my equation now... I am considering the risks vs costs...

I've learned from the service bulletin, that it affects vehicles with engines VIN D, T and Z. Where do I find that in the VIN code? Mr. Google says eight digit indicates the engine type, but my VIN does not contain any letter on 8th position... Any advice? Or anyone understand the bulletin differently (my english could be blamed for wrong understanding of the bulletin)

My VIN code: 1J8H3E8257Y549923
@CmdrOrvis;

Since you don't have D, T or Z anywhere in your VIN, I'd say your safe in that regard.
CmdrOrvis likes this.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:25 AM
Points: 9,847, Level: 66 Points: 9,847, Level: 66 Points: 9,847, Level: 66

4WD
Current Mileage: 57200
Read the last paragraph more closely. This bulletin is for VIN codes that have a problem with exhaust seats more often. It states other engines besides the D,T, and Z have problems more often with intake seats or both. I may have that backwards.

I have read several Dodge forums trying to figure out if I have a ticking time bomb under the hood. There seems to be no definitive answer for why the Gen 3 Hemi drops valve seats. People know the interference fit is bad, they know overheating seems to contribute, some say MDS is to blame.

Some Magnums, Chargers,Rams, XKs, etc run forever without problems. Some die with 50k on the odometer.

Your VIN indicates you have a 5.7 Hemi Multiple Displacement Gasoline engine. Invest in a crystal ball or some Edelbrock heads for a Gen 3 hemi.

I think I'm going to save up and get the Edelbrock heads, shorty headers, and better exhaust. Hopefully mine doesn't drop a seat before I can scrape the nickels together.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Why is it that everything I find enjoyable is fattening, immoral, or illegal?"

Last edited by Therocks; 08-31-2018 at 11:42 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:26 PM
Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 180000
The version of the hemi that came out in 2009 dubbed "eagle" addressed the valve seat issue along with other changes. I know my 2010 has it, not sure if all 2009s do but I would hope so.

2010 5.7 QTII -
, Gas Tank Skid Mod,
, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17,
, Custom Tow Rings F/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in