Snow recovery - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Snow recovery

So many times people ask me, "why do you have all that stuff on your roof?"
or
"why does your car look like a fire truck?"

Well, Christmas Day I answered that question.

I had been driving in deep snow quite a bit while my wife and I were back home for the holidays. My commander had proven to me that it was probably the best over all snow vehicle i have driven....I say over all....because where some vehicle, like a tractor or heavy duty pick may have more power and ablity it the deepest snow, they dont handle well on the icy slick roads, compared to the commander.

Of course it doesnt matter how much lift, how good of tires, or how good your 4wd system is....if you wheel are hanging in the air, and you are high centered you are done.

I was driving along by myself, on a gravel road that appeared to have been plowed.....but i didnt know that just over the hill was a long portion of the road that was drifted back shut....and it was too late to find a new route since i was already into it.....BUt had not shut off the ESP fully yet.....and got most of the way through the snow that was very hard and dense and probably about 12 -18 inches where i was driving....I lost my forward motion and lost some traction and then came to a stop. I Held the ESP down for 6 second and shut it all the way off.....I backed up a bit and got my commander some tractions and some forward momentum and put the hammer down and was able to plow my way thorough the rest of drift..... this drift was probly 150 ft long.

Now that that i had made it through i wasnt sure if i should go back throught it or keep going down the road....i chose to keep going but then came to the next drift about about half mile later.......this one was 3 times longer and much deeper........but i looked like it had been driven through before by another vehicle......BUT it was sort of a trick to my eyes cause i didnt realize those tracks were probably days old and had been covered by now the fart up into the snow.........
Well....went for it and made it about 3/4 of the way getting past the worst and deepest parts but eventually became hung up.

I have a portable winch in a the back but the nearest place to hook to was the telephone poll....sever hundered feet away........I didn have enough extensions to make that poll. I have an old axles stake and drive it in the ground but it just ripped up a 2 foot chuck of the frozen ground.....

So grab my shovels and clear out the snow under the jeep and was about to get it back o the ground......I was on top of snow that was hard packed and about 2 ft deep.....and deeper in places........But once i got the wheels onthe ground...i pushed foward and back ward and was able to plow/break my way out......

Any vehicle can get stuck in snow......there is always deeper snow somewhere......But you need to have lots of options for recovery.....

It crossed my mind that i needed the "pullpal" winch anchor......im not sure if it would have helped or not......no one else here had talked about using one in snow for a commander.

I get lots of ribbing from my ford loving dad and brothers.....and since i was by myself i could have kept it quiet.....but i guess i did take photos after i got out, so there is proof.....
I told them that its not really "stuck" if you get out on your own and don't have to bring in another vehicle to pull you out.

tested all options.

Broke free onto higher ground.

Last edited by ped4599; 12-28-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Points: 10,724, Level: 68 Points: 10,724, Level: 68 Points: 10,724, Level: 68
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
I was just remarking how much that looks just like eastern Colorado, then notice you are in Lincoln, NE. I have been on MANY roads just like that in eastern Colorado and can attest that the snow crusted over like that can stop most vehicles. Congratulations on getting yourself out. Glad you didn't have to walk for help.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Sometimes digging out is the only way to go. Do you have 4LOW on your Jeep, or just the AWD 4x4?

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: No
Model year: 2006
2WD
Can you post some pics of your roof rack and all the stuff up there?

We have 4 kids so (when my Commander finaly is ready) I will be using the last row of seats all the time ... that means ... storage up top ... I'm looking at options for roof racks ... or baskets etc
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Points: 2,372, Level: 29 Points: 2,372, Level: 29 Points: 2,372, Level: 29
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

Great story. You are right about being stuck. If you get it out, it's not.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Points: 2,012, Level: 27 Points: 2,012, Level: 27 Points: 2,012, Level: 27
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

Good narrative.

I’ve found myself in the same situation. I was in South Dakota hunting pheasants and hit pretty much what you describe: Snow blown over a roadway with a crusted top and unknown depth.

A winch in this terrain might be useless (as you pointed out) since there often if no good anchor point. A PullPal might work, or maybe not if you cannot anchor the device; so you cannot depend upon this either.

You didn’t mention a HighLift jack. I always have a HighLift jack attached to the rooftop carrier. I use this to lift the vehicle, shovel out the snow, mud, or sand that traps me; and then drive out. It works every time, even when an expensive winch proves useless. This technique (lifting and digging) often takes quite some time, but I always escape.

--Spike
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Good narrative.

Iíve found myself in the same situation. I was in South Dakota hunting pheasants and hit pretty much what you describe: Snow blown over a roadway with a crusted top and unknown depth.

A winch in this terrain might be useless (as you pointed out) since there often if no good anchor point. A PullPal might work, or maybe not if you cannot anchor the device; so you cannot depend upon this either.

You didnít mention a HighLift jack. I always have a HighLift jack attached to the rooftop carrier. I use this to lift the vehicle, shovel out the snow, mud, or sand that traps me; and then drive out. It works every time, even when an expensive winch proves useless. This technique (lifting and digging) often takes quite some time, but I always escape.

--Spike
I have a hi lift jackon the roof....and i looked at it twice to and thought i would try it as a last resort....i wasnt sure it would do me much good though......other than to let me scoop from a higher angle.....it would be more suited if it was in dirt rather than snow.

I dont know if the pull pall would have worked.....i used a large stake that bent and ripped up a large part of the field to the left....i also try to hook tot he base an an old fence post but it sheared it off flush with the ground...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeggster View Post
Can you post some pics of your roof rack and all the stuff up there?

We have 4 kids so (when my Commander finaly is ready) I will be using the last row of seats all the time ... that means ... storage up top ... I'm looking at options for roof racks ... or baskets etc
This is before i had it all painted.....

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:43 AM
Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Deep snow drifts.... I have two different trains of thought:

If I don't know how deep of a snow drift I'm dealing with, I'll usually approach it at low speed. That way, if I start to get in over my head, I should be able to reverse out of a bad situation. If I decided to just build up a head of steam and try to blast through it, there's always the possibility that I'll get stuck and not be able to reverse out of it. That's why I like a slow approach for snow that I don't know the depth, especially if I'm travelling without a second vehicle.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: No
Model year: 2006
2WD
That looks great!

... have you ever been in underground parking with the rack on?

I have occasion to use underground parking when I visit Toronto ... and wonder if it fits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in