Rear fog lights, anyone? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Points: 16,293, Level: 81 Points: 16,293, Level: 81 Points: 16,293, Level: 81
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 232,700
Garage
Rear fog lights, anyone?

This past weekend Jersey saw a lot of warm air, therefore, dense fog after all the cold we had the previous week. I got to thinking that it might be a good idea to have some red rear fog lights the way many European cars do. For those who are unfamiliar, many European cars have red fog lights in the back that shine with approximately the same intensity as the lights when you step on the brakes. In the US you may see these on Audis, Mercedes, Volvos, and the like. I can say from first-hand experience, that it is much easier to see the car ahead of you in dense fog if it has these lights.

So, has anyone thought about these or looked into them? I was thinking they could go on either side of the license plate. I saw some inexpensive round LED lights on eBay, but I don't know how big they are.

Ideas...? Thoughts...? Comments...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Trim Package: Limited
4WD
Current Mileage: 150000
This is how the rear fog lights look in my XH (international model)

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...pound30304.flv

Last edited by Ahmed; 12-29-2008 at 11:19 AM.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Points: 6,361, Level: 52 Points: 6,361, Level: 52 Points: 6,361, Level: 52
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

I am a big fan of rear fog lights (I am originally from Scotland and we get plenty of Fog there!). However, the problem here in the US is, that people here drive with their front fog lights on a lot of the time as 'driving' lights.

They pull/twist/push (delete as applicable) the foglight switch to turn them on and then leave them like that for the life of the vehicle.

Then they step into their new Audi or BMW with rear foglights, and twist the fog lights to 'on'. Well the Audi and BMW have 2 steps to the foglight 'on', the second step turns on the rear foglights. Well these people who haven't had rear foglights before, set the switch to position 2, and have their rear foglights on all the time.

There is an Audi A6 that drives around here all the time with his rear fogs on and it annoys the [email protected] outta me! This isn't an issue in the UK, as it it illegal to drive around with your front driving/fog lights on if there is no fog. And I should know, I got ticketed for it! 'Excessive use of lighting' was what I was written up for. At the time all I could think of was 'hmmm, getting written up and fined by the police, for being TOO VISIBLE on the road...!!!'. But the law is the law!

However, to answer the OPs question, it would be cool to have them on the US spec XK, as I think they are a valuable safety feature.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

I have super bright LED tail lights, kinda does the same thing, and I actually mounted reflectors on the bumper right where the Euro versions have the foglights. I like how they look.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPRA View Post
I am a big fan of rear fog lights (I am originally from Scotland and we get plenty of Fog there!). However, the problem here in the US is, that people here drive with their front fog lights on a lot of the time as 'driving' lights.

They pull/twist/push (delete as applicable) the foglight switch to turn them on and then leave them like that for the life of the vehicle.

Then they step into their new Audi or BMW with rear foglights, and twist the fog lights to 'on'. Well the Audi and BMW have 2 steps to the foglight 'on', the second step turns on the rear foglights. Well these people who haven't had rear foglights before, set the switch to position 2, and have their rear foglights on all the time.

There is an Audi A6 that drives around here all the time with his rear fogs on and it annoys the [email protected] outta me! This isn't an issue in the UK, as it it illegal to drive around with your front driving/fog lights on if there is no fog. And I should know, I got ticketed for it! 'Excessive use of lighting' was what I was written up for. At the time all I could think of was 'hmmm, getting written up and fined by the police, for being TOO VISIBLE on the road...!!!'. But the law is the law!

However, to answer the OPs question, it would be cool to have them on the US spec XK, as I think they are a valuable safety feature.
Yeah, I see those people with the rear lights on all the time, too.

I'm not entirely surprised to hear you were fined for having those lights on. I understand that in Germany they are even stricter concerning the use of lights, especially hazards.

I think it would be great if the US XK had them built in as in the XH. However, in my original post I was contemplating adding on some extra lights and wondering if anyone else has done it or has looked into it.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog9 View Post
I have super bright LED tail lights, kinda does the same thing, and I actually mounted reflectors on the bumper right where the Euro versions have the foglights. I like how they look.
Those bright LEDs might be great while you're on the brakes, but the point behind the red fog lights in the back are so that you are more visible in poor weather conditions to other drivers, even when you are not braking.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

I had thought of doing the same thing. I imagine if I get a set of boat trailer lights and wire them in so they are on only when the front fog lights are on. These are the ones I had planned to use http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ND-V420KR3.jpg They could be wired to work in "brake" mode when they are on so they will be as bright as possible and they are LED.

Bright Silver 4.7L 2.25 RR/OME lift, Kumho KL71 265/70/17, Flashpaq, Lights, rack, intake, Super44, mopar skids, 4x belly guard, rear fog lights, MM9500 winch, GetLost4x4 winch mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HILLBILLY DELUXE
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
This is how the rear fog lights look in my XH (international model)
I really like the signal markers on the fenders. I may have to look into doing that as well.

Bright Silver 4.7L 2.25 RR/OME lift, Kumho KL71 265/70/17, Flashpaq, Lights, rack, intake, Super44, mopar skids, 4x belly guard, rear fog lights, MM9500 winch, GetLost4x4 winch mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HILLBILLY DELUXE
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Trim Package: Limited
4WD
Current Mileage: 150000
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamag25 View Post
I really like the signal markers on the fenders. I may have to look into doing that as well.
This should be very easy and not expensive too, go for it
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
Those bright LEDs might be great while you're on the brakes, but the point behind the red fog lights in the back are so that you are more visible in poor weather conditions to other drivers, even when you are not braking.
ummmm. Yes, I know...... The TAIL lights are LED's and 2x as bright as the normal bulb and are on when you turn your lights on, thus doing the same thing effectively as the rear fog lights. Brake lights are LED's as well, and aer also at least 2X as bright as normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in