Used the 3rd row yesterday ( A christmas story) - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Carbuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 170k
Used the 3rd row yesterday ( A christmas story)

So, I bought my commander mainly as a second vehicle for 4wd and hauling around my junk. The back seats are always folded down and there are toolboxes and plastic bins in the back most of the time. Well, yesterday, being Christmas, it was time for the yearly 45 minute drive to visit the sister in laws house for the day. We have always been a family of five so it was never a problem to take any sedan we might have. Well this year we forgot that my future son in law was with us. Half and hour before leaving it dawns on us that we wont all fit in any of the cars we have. I joked that I would just open up the 3rd row, problem solved. Ive made this joke before as the back of the truck is usually a mess. But after looking at each other for a few minutes we decided it was the thing to do. So I go outside and manage to dump some stuff on the front deck and clear one side of the 3rd row. I flip up the seat and everyone looks at it and says "no way Im sitting back there". My tool boxes were still on the other side so we had to bend up my cargo mat and it created a side wall for the 3rd row seat. We called it the space capsule. My future son in law proudly states that he will volunteer to be the "space man" for the trip there. Hes about 5'10" and 165. We busted his chops the whole way there and everyone had a fun ride at his expense. LOL. He bounced his head off the headliner more than once during the ride. LOL. We referred to him as Major Tom more than a few times. And Houston had many a problem too. When we arrive at our destination and disembark the vehicle he proudly states "One small step for Man........etc." He was ready to plant a flag in my sister in laws lawn. My daughter was the space-person, LOL, on the way home with much less fanfare. I guess the point of all this is that the 3rd row is tiny and not meant for adults unless its a last resort. But it was a lot of fun. I hope everyone had a Nice Christmas as I did.
Wombler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 03:30 PM
Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
I've gotta admit, I'm surprised he was able to manage that ride. I'm 5'7" and I've sat in the back once, with both seats up for as much room as possible. I had to sit sideways just to get enough room for my legs.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

4WD
Current Mileage: 170k
Yeah, Im not sure how he managed it.It was a christmas miracle. LOL.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,378, Level: 94 Points: 23,378, Level: 94 Points: 23,378, Level: 94
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
4WD
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbuff View Post
So, I bought my commander mainly as a second vehicle for 4wd and hauling around my junk. The back seats are always folded down and there are toolboxes and plastic bins in the back most of the time. Well, yesterday, being Christmas, it was time for the yearly 45 minute drive to visit the sister in laws house for the day. We have always been a family of five so it was never a problem to take any sedan we might have. Well this year we forgot that my future son in law was with us. Half and hour before leaving it dawns on us that we wont all fit in any of the cars we have. I joked that I would just open up the 3rd row, problem solved. Ive made this joke before as the back of the truck is usually a mess. But after looking at each other for a few minutes we decided it was the thing to do. So I go outside and manage to dump some stuff on the front deck and clear one side of the 3rd row. I flip up the seat and everyone looks at it and says "no way Im sitting back there". My tool boxes were still on the other side so we had to bend up my cargo mat and it created a side wall for the 3rd row seat. We called it the space capsule. My future son in law proudly states that he will volunteer to be the "space man" for the trip there. Hes about 5'10" and 165. We busted his chops the whole way there and everyone had a fun ride at his expense. LOL. He bounced his head off the headliner more than once during the ride. LOL. We referred to him as Major Tom more than a few times. And Houston had many a problem too. When we arrive at our destination and disembark the vehicle he proudly states "One small step for Man........etc." He was ready to plant a flag in my sister in laws lawn. My daughter was the space-person, LOL, on the way home with much less fanfare. I guess the point of all this is that the 3rd row is tiny and not meant for adults unless its a last resort. But it was a lot of fun. I hope everyone had a Nice Christmas as I did.
Cool story.....I have used my 3rd row seat a few times, before my 2 step kids grew up....now one has moved out on his own and a 2nd one is in college, so, I rarely use it anymore....but yes, it's definitely made for smaller children.....I couldn't imagine torchering a full grown adult by making them sit back there......LOL. Props to your future son-in law for sticking it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 10:13 AM
Points: 377, Level: 7 Points: 377, Level: 7 Points: 377, Level: 7
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

4WD
Current Mileage: 114000
But we HAVE THE THIRD ROW, and that's a cool story in its self, in comparison to other SUVs rule of thumb for putting some poor soul in third row, the youngest of shortest gets it. Lol
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 05:35 PM
Points: 2,234, Level: 28 Points: 2,234, Level: 28 Points: 2,234, Level: 28
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 123000
Itd be cooler if it faced rearward...
Definately not a good place for grown ups to sit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in