A Happy & Safe New Year to all; - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Blue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Points: 23,354, Level: 94 Points: 23,354, Level: 94 Points: 23,354, Level: 94
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Thumbs up A Happy & Safe New Year to all;

Hello everybody;

I have been pretty busy the last month or so, since I recently bought a house and have not been on the forum much lately since I was home on leave getting my home & affairs in order;

However, I'm pretty much settled in now and back to work, so, I will be back on the forum daily again.

I just wanted to take the time to wish the whole forum a very Happy & safe New Year!!!!

I hope you all enjoy it, but please, stay safe and be careful while traveling.
drm4633 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:02 PM
Points: 3,984, Level: 40 Points: 3,984, Level: 40 Points: 3,984, Level: 40
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 120,000
Garage
Happy New Year!

Happy New Year XK family!

Sorry been MIA for the past few months. With the move from CA to Portland, plus the crazy Christmas season for the Salvation Army, I haven't had much time to look around here!

I have some things lined up this year for the XK:

Fix/repair rest of the rust damage to roof and then Raptor Line it
Properly fix my wheel rubbing; with 265/70/17's I thought a small pinch weld would suffice but no good, will need the full mod
Fix coolant leaks: radiator seems fine, will try replacing the hoses first
Change out all 16 spark plugs haha. Have some iridium replacements
Remove, inspect, and reinstall suspension. After a couple off-roading trips, hearing some funky sounds
Build a pulley system in my garage for storing my iKamper rtt
EVENTUALLY, $$ allowing, get new bumpers...hopefully some new lights on there too

Anyone else have some things lined up this year?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:14 AM
Points: 1,046, Level: 17 Points: 1,046, Level: 17 Points: 1,046, Level: 17
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 69500
Happy New Year!
When you say raptor line it...meaning the roof only or all of the body panels? I did do my rocker panels, flares, and bumpers last year with line x, but unsure whether to line, leave alone, or perhaps kevlar paint the balance of the vehicle.
On the wheel wells, I get some minor rubbing past 1 full turn in each direction. While I did bent back and hammered the pinch weld seam, I didn't 'beat back the firewall' beyond that. Same tire size (265/70-17) with 4.5" backspace on a 17x8 rim. Other than beating back the firewall, what would one do on a more complete pinch weld mod? I dont see many options.

Including some pics of the line-x I had done last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownTXXK View Post
Happy New Year!
When you say raptor line it...meaning the roof only or all of the body panels? I did do my rocker panels, flares, and bumpers last year with line x, but unsure whether to line, leave alone, or perhaps kevlar paint the balance of the vehicle.
On the wheel wells, I get some minor rubbing past 1 full turn in each direction. While I did bent back and hammered the pinch weld seam, I didn't 'beat back the firewall' beyond that. Same tire size (265/70-17) with 4.5" backspace on a 17x8 rim. Other than beating back the firewall, what would one do on a more complete pinch weld mod? I dont see many options.

Including some pics of the line-x I had done last year.

@GtownTXXK;

There really isn't anything else you can do as far as the pinch weld mod goes, you really only have 2 things you do to get the get rid of the rubbing completely at this point (Obviously this is assuming that you don't want to go down to a smaller tire - because hey, who does really?);

Order a new set of rims with 0 mm offset and 5.5 inches of back-spacing - or get a higher lift that gives you more clearance.

I run rims with the same specs that you have - used to have the same size tire and had the same exact rubbing issue as you, however, when I had my Centerline rims which had 5.5 inches of back-spacing and the same P265/70/17 tires, I had no rubbing at all.

I like what you did to your XK; looks great!

Last edited by Big Blue; 01-03-2019 at 07:48 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:35 AM

4WD
Interesting..
Never thought I would need to go to more backspace. That brings the wheel 'in' another inch correct? So about halfway between where I am now and stock. I am on an OMEHD lift with the jba 1/4" spacers so only other lift options are moving to the bilstein 5100 adjustable struts or to the superlift that you installed. I believe I've read others on jeepforum pounding the area of the pinch weld back more but I'm guessing that delivers around a quarter inch at best. Need to do some thinking and more time/money perhaps
Thanks for the input!!!! Always something to invest in on our jeeps.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Interesting..
Never thought I would need to go to more backspace. That brings the wheel 'in' another inch correct? So about halfway between where I am now and stock. I am on an OMEHD lift with the jba 1/4" spacers so only other lift options are moving to the bilstein 5100 adjustable struts or to the superlift that you installed. I believe I've read others on jeepforum pounding the area of the pinch weld back more but I'm guessing that delivers around a quarter inch at best. Need to do some thinking and more time/money perhaps
Thanks for the input!!!! Always something to invest in on our jeeps.

Yep, another inch of back-spacing would definitely solve your issue.

A new set of rims with 0 mm offset and the proper 5.5 inches of back-spacing is considerably cheaper than going to the 4 inch superlift.

Last edited by Big Blue; 01-03-2019 at 08:52 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:10 AM

4WD
Yes way less!!!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:50 AM
Points: 3,984, Level: 40 Points: 3,984, Level: 40 Points: 3,984, Level: 40
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 120,000
Garage
Quote:
Happy New Year!

Nice! I'm going to raptor line the entire vehicle. I've done quite a bit of research on it and nobody seems to have negative feedback after doing it. I like that it will take the regular beating of the trail as well as being extremely easy to clean.

Speaking of tires...I may have to look into some as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in