Travel Trailer Towing Input - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ajespo
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 3
Travel Trailer Towing Input

We have a 2007 Jeep Commander Limited with the 5.7 Hemi & factory tow package, so from what I've researched it has a 7200# tow rating. We are looking at a 2019 Shadow Cruiser 225RBS travel trailer...about 4900# dry weight and 25'10" long. Based on your experience(s), would this be a reasonable tow situation? Appreciate the input...thanks, everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0908.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	33603  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0909.jpg (12.1 KB, 32 views)
xSnappy2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:14 PM
Member
Points: 896, Level: 15 Points: 896, Level: 15 Points: 896, Level: 15
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Up4XK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Springfield, OR
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 85,000
Posts: 85
Garage
Shouldn't be a problem. The hemi has plenty of power. I tow an older KZ fully loaded comes to about 6700 lbs. 55 over the passes no problem (except having to stop at every gas station). Our TT is very tongue heavy and the EZ lift torques the hitch quite a bit. My Commander is lifted so I have a 12" drop hitch, likely that's the cause of most of the extra deflection of the receiver. I use one sway control but would guess I don't need any. Just a heads up, there is no plug and play harness for a brake controller. You will need to do some splicing and running a hot wire from the battery.

2010 Hemi Commander
Quadra Drive II
4" Superlift
275/70 R18 TOYO R/T
Up4XK is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:59 AM
Senior Member
Points: 3,561, Level: 37 Points: 3,561, Level: 37 Points: 3,561, Level: 37
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Michigan
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 135000
Posts: 136
There is a harness to install the brake controller and power available. No need to run a separate wire to the battery. Google here to find your answer. Most brake controllers will fit into the small cubby left of the steering wheel. Installed this way it is readily accessible vs. mounting under the dash or in the footwell area. Make sure all of your sway bar and other bushings are in good order. With the XK's short wheel base trailer sway can be an issue with a long trailer.
quickster2 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:15 PM
Member
Points: 896, Level: 15 Points: 896, Level: 15 Points: 896, Level: 15
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Up4XK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Springfield, OR
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 85,000
Posts: 85
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickster2 View Post
There is a harness to install the brake controller and power available. No need to run a separate wire to the battery. Google here to find your answer. Most brake controllers will fit into the small cubby left of the steering wheel. Installed this way it is readily accessible vs. mounting under the dash or in the footwell area. Make sure all of your sway bar and other bushings are in good order. With the XK's short wheel base trailer sway can be an issue with a long trailer.
I need to respectfully disagree with the statement that there is a harness. While there is a full wire run from the front of the jeep to the 4 and 7 pin at the rear, there is no plug under the dash for a brake controller to "plug" into. Therefor there is not brake controller harness for the Jeep Commander. Many other vehicles have a plug under the dash and you buy a harness that adapts from the vehicle plug to the controller, no splicing or other wire runs needed.
Two axle travel trailers need a 20A always hot wire (3 axle 30A), It is not advisable to draw that much current through the Acc plug wire (cigarette Lighter) it's under sized for that. The ground wire needs to be able to carry the same current. Also using a body ground will decrease the voltage available to the brake controller.
Best practices for a two axle TT would be to have a 12 AWG from the battery, through an automatic reset 20A breaker (not a fuse) to the brake controller. Then a 12 AWG ground wire from the controller back to the battery. Why a auto reset breaker and not a fuse? If you have an intermittent short the fuse would pop and no more trailer brakes until you can get stopped and replace the fuse. The breaker will keep the wires from melting but gives a chance for the brakes to work (if only intermittently).

2010 Hemi Commander
Quadra Drive II
4" Superlift
275/70 R18 TOYO R/T
Up4XK is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 01:30 AM
Senior Member
Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
consumedbywater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Posts: 478
Garage
If you are running the stock suspension, you'll need to make sure you have a proper weight distribution system. The stock springs, even in a tow rated Hemi, sag a ridiculous amount with any amount of tongue weight; When I was sitting stock, even just hooking up a 12 ft U-Haul resulted in almost 3" of sag.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
consumedbywater is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:46 AM
Senior Member
Points: 3,561, Level: 37 Points: 3,561, Level: 37 Points: 3,561, Level: 37
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Michigan
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 135000
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4XK View Post
I need to respectfully disagree with the statement that there is a harness. While there is a full wire run from the front of the jeep to the 4 and 7 pin at the rear, there is no plug under the dash for a brake controller to "plug" into. Therefor there is not brake controller harness for the Jeep Commander. Many other vehicles have a plug under the dash and you buy a harness that adapts from the vehicle plug to the controller, no splicing or other wire runs needed.
Two axle travel trailers need a 20A always hot wire (3 axle 30A), It is not advisable to draw that much current through the Acc plug wire (cigarette Lighter) it's under sized for that. The ground wire needs to be able to carry the same current. Also using a body ground will decrease the voltage available to the brake controller.
Best practices for a two axle TT would be to have a 12 AWG from the battery, through an automatic reset 20A breaker (not a fuse) to the brake controller. Then a 12 AWG ground wire from the controller back to the battery. Why a auto reset breaker and not a fuse? If you have an intermittent short the fuse would pop and no more trailer brakes until you can get stopped and replace the fuse. The breaker will keep the wires from melting but gives a chance for the brakes to work (if only intermittently).
I was referring to the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Commander, "Electric Trailer Brake Wiring Harness" from Mopar. P/N 82210512AC. Their quoted words not mine. The rest of your post is good info. and matches up exactly with the information that came with my Tekonsha. If you have the factory installed Tow Package with the 7 Pin connector this "Electric Trailer Brake Wiring Harness" will get you going. If you don't have the factory 7 pin this will work also.Trailer Tow Wiring Harness - 7-Way - Mopar (82211150AC) Alternatively, you can make your own harness up following the recommendations given here by Up4XK or follow the information included with your specific controller. Regardless, longer trailers coupled with the Commander's shorter wheelbase need robust sway control.

Last edited by quickster2; 01-22-2019 at 08:15 AM.
quickster2 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:33 AM
Member
Points: 2,280, Level: 28 Points: 2,280, Level: 28 Points: 2,280, Level: 28
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
chaaz01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Berkley, Mi
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 79000
Posts: 54
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to chaaz01
I realize that the sticker in the door states this weight, however even if the car is rated as such, there is a BIG difference in how the vehicle will handle with a 25 foot versus a smaller TT.

Example, my prior truck was a suburban; I towed a 29' TT with no sliders. Even with the mass of a suburban, a windy day caused havoc to my driving skills - - thankfully no accidents, but certainly whit knuckled.

As for your 'mander, 25' seems a little too long for me - even if its within the weight.

Got to remember that thats a 25' sail behind you and it picks up cross winds really well.

Your wheel base is even shorter than a 4-door JK Rubicon, and i think even they are squirley on the road.

Up to you though; I dont know your driving skills or your tolerance to white knuckle conditions; construction zones, narrowed lanes, etc.

just my humble but experienced opinion


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chaaz01 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:19 PM
Junior Member
Points: 7,158, Level: 56 Points: 7,158, Level: 56 Points: 7,158, Level: 56
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CT
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 134101
Posts: 15
Garage
I tow a 25' TT routinely and I will say a good weight distributing hitch with sway control made all the difference. When towing without it the trailer would behave like a bucking bronco, all over the place, anytime I got above 50mph. Now with weight ditribution and sway control I cruise highway speeds with no problem. In high wind I drop the speed down or travel local roads if possible, but I do that with any towable. As for the Mopar "electric brake wiring harness" don't bother. It would not work with my Tekonsha P3 because the ground was no good. Direct wire to battery with auto reset breaker has worked flawlessly for me.
Arapahoe likes this.

Al Esposito

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7 Hemi
ajespo is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,378, Level: 94 Points: 23,378, Level: 94 Points: 23,378, Level: 94
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Posts: 5,328
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSnappy2 View Post
We have a 2007 Jeep Commander Limited with the 5.7 Hemi & factory tow package, so from what I've researched it has a 7200# tow rating. We are looking at a 2019 Shadow Cruiser 225RBS travel trailer...about 4900# dry weight and 25'10" long. Based on your experience(s), would this be a reasonable tow situation? Appreciate the input...thanks, everyone.
@xSnappy2 ;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums...uncements.html

ATTENTION All Forum Members - Mandatory Requirement: Update your User Profile Information.

There are some new questions pertaining specifically to your Commander that have been added to your user profile to be answered.

Your answers will display all of your Commander's information below your avatar like this:

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
2WD or 4WD: 4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 86,500

To update your profile, click on your username above your avatar and select the "View Public Profile" tab and click on "About Me" and you will see the questions that need to be answered pertaining to your Commander's information.

Please take the time to update your profile when you have a spare minute, so, the newer members will know what kind of Commander (Model Year, Trim Package, Power-Train, 2WD or 4WD; 4WD system; etc.) that you are driving.

Update: this sticky announcement has been posted in every single sub-forum for over a year now and I'm still seeing members that have not complied. This is a mandatory requirement for all forum members - failure to update your user profile in accordance with forum rules will be followed up with disciplinary action, up to and including the possibility of being permanently banned from the forum for violation of forum rules.

These rules have been put in place for a purpose, please follow them accordingly. Thank you.

Big Blue; Forum Moderator.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Blue is online now  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:21 PM
Senior Member
Points: 3,561, Level: 37 Points: 3,561, Level: 37 Points: 3,561, Level: 37
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Michigan
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 135000
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajespo View Post
I tow a 25' TT routinely and I will say a good weight distributing hitch with sway control made all the difference. When towing without it the trailer would behave like a bucking bronco, all over the place, anytime I got above 50mph. Now with weight ditribution and sway control I cruise highway speeds with no problem. In high wind I drop the speed down or travel local roads if possible, but I do that with any towable. As for the Mopar "electric brake wiring harness" don't bother. It would not work with my Tekonsha P3 because the ground was no good. Direct wire to battery with auto reset breaker has worked flawlessly for me.
Just curious. Does your XK have the factory or dealer installed towing package? The reason I ask is that I installed the harness (behind the dash into the cigar lighter plug) and have a P3 and it works flawlessly with double axle with brakes on each trailers.
quickster2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome