Is Commander a disappointment after XJ 4dr? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Is Commander a disappointment after XJ 4dr?

Our 95 XJ is coming up to 400k kms./240k mi and is one of our dd's but with 4" RE lift for dog sports (herding/agility/etc).
Willing to keep it around because it just won't die by itself.
Thinking of picking up a new 4.7l Sport S group as replacement daily drive.
Don't want a higher trim package with 3 dog crates and associated tents/ cargo required for training and trials. Before you ask yes...it's often...look at the mileage and the driver works only 15 minutes from home.
Question is-can the Commander live up to being a replacement for a hard working vehicle after the rear row(s) of seats are removed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

If you are looking for a vehicle with great off-road capability, v8 power, and enough room to carry all your gear then I think that the XK will be exactly what you are looking for. If you have an XJ and don't think you will like the XK then you should probably just buy a newer/lower mileage cherokee.

Bright Silver 4.7L 2.25 RR/OME lift, Kumho KL71 265/70/17, Flashpaq, Lights, rack, intake, Super44, mopar skids, 4x belly guard, rear fog lights, MM9500 winch, GetLost4x4 winch mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HILLBILLY DELUXE
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamag25 View Post
If you are looking for a vehicle with great off-road capability, v8 power, and enough room to carry all your gear then I think that the XK will be exactly what you are looking for. If you have an XJ and don't think you will like the XK then you should probably just buy a newer/lower mileage cherokee.
Thanks for the input.
Been looking for an 01 (last model year)xj because they're so reliable and also with our 07 Wrangler unlimited rubicon we have lots of fun potential.
Unfortunately although the 07 is great it doesn't have the storage capacity the xj does due to the roll cage.
Question is for previous xj owners whether they noticed an increase or decrease in funtionality.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Points: 2,521, Level: 30 Points: 2,521, Level: 30 Points: 2,521, Level: 30
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101gargoyles View Post
Thanks for the input.
Been looking for an 01 (last model year)xj because they're so reliable and also with our 07 Wrangler unlimited rubicon we have lots of fun potential.
Unfortunately although the 07 is great it doesn't have the storage capacity the xj does due to the roll cage.
Question is for previous xj owners whether they noticed an increase or decrease in funtionality.
I owned an 01 XJ for five years as my prior daily driver. The motivation for me to go to an XK was two fold. First I wanted more comfort. DEFINITELY got that with the XK. I bought a 200 pound snow blower three weeks ago and it fit right in the back. I could never have done that with the XJ. Secondly, I wanted more room for cargo and more comfort and back support for second row passengers. I got that as well.

The added benefits were that I have what I believe to be the safest poor weather vehicle with the XK. While I felt safe in the XJ, the XK gives me top shelf control in snow and ice. I had the part time 4WD in my XJ sport and found it to be very limiting when compared to the XK.

That all being said, with only 88K on the clock of my XJ, I kind of wish I kept it around and not traded it in. Wifey would not let me keep two Jeeps around. It was the pinnacle of reliability for me, requiring only tires, brakes and oil during the 69K I drove it, and one would never have known it was seven years old. There is something appealing about the pure utilitarianism of the XJ, but as I have gotten older, I found the need for more creature comforts with my daily driver.

Last edited by ILCommander; 01-03-2009 at 03:43 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Well stated ILCommander
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Points: 374, Level: 7 Points: 374, Level: 7 Points: 374, Level: 7
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

My wife had a 99 XJ. I hated driving it, I just couldn't get the driving postion ajusted right. I traded it in on a 02 Tacoma 4door. I liked it, She hated it. She now has a 06 Commander - we are both very happy with it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%

I own two XJ's a 96 and a 97. I love these bulletproof vehicles and will keep them forever. For me the XK is too expensive to take out in the boonies and get it all scratched up, dented or break things. I bought the XK because I wanted some of the bells and whistles of the 21st Century plus I only buy Jeeps. The Commander has options I didn't even know existed and it's style and class is unsurpassed. When I cruise down the road in my Commander I never see another vehicle that I think looks nicer or that I would want to own. The Commander has it all and nothing says American more than JEEP. (you will see my photo under "flag waver" in the dictionary)haha
You'll be hard pressed to find a vehicle more capable than an XJ to serve your off road needs. Most people are not hardcore off roaders and your Commander just might serve your needs in style.
Like ILCommander said as I've gotten older (I'm 64) I found the need for creature comforts more appealing.
HT
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Points: 4,392, Level: 42 Points: 4,392, Level: 42 Points: 4,392, Level: 42

I have only 500 miles on a new '08 Commander Overland so I am new to this model. But so far I can say that in the all-time record 60" of snow for December alone here in Spokane, WA, that I am TOTALLY impressed with the Q-Drive II. I've never owned an XJ but my guess is that the Commander's extra weight is a downside when offroad compared to the XJ but the Q-Drive II is pretty impressive stuff. I also have an '04 Rubicon on dedicated studded snows.

Jeeps forever!

Last edited by Norm; 01-04-2009 at 12:54 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Funny, we just got back from Spokane last night and I'm amazed at how poorly the roads are maintained. Ice bumps everywhere! In fact, I damn near hit my front bumper on the ground when we hit an ice hole coming out of "Dicks" where we had lunch. If we'd had a smaller car or truck, it would have been ugly. Spokane is the only place where everyone goes "off-roading" down the main streets in the winter!

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Points: 4,392, Level: 42 Points: 4,392, Level: 42 Points: 4,392, Level: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBZ View Post
Funny, we just got back from Spokane last night and I'm amazed at how poorly the roads are maintained. Ice bumps everywhere! In fact, I damn near hit my front bumper on the ground when we hit an ice hole coming out of "Dicks" where we had lunch. If we'd had a smaller car or truck, it would have been ugly. Spokane is the only place where everyone goes "off-roading" down the main streets in the winter!
... hence, the new Commander. Downtown is the worst I've ever seen. Mid December we had an all-time record 19" of snowfall in a 24-hour period which put the snow removal equipment so far behind that they haven't been able to keep up since. Coeur'dAlene, ID, our neighbor, had 75" in December alone. We have major box store closures due to roofs caving in.

Last edited by Norm; 01-04-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in