Jeep Commander Forum banner

I had an oil leak.

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  CP07 
#1 ·
It was originaly diagnosed as a gearbox flywheel, but soon turned out after visual inspection (mechaninc actually looked at it) as probably the turbo oil seals.

it turned out to be the turbo oil seals and cost less than £100 including parts and labour.

the bad news was that elephant hose is needing replacement - garage have done a kind of temporary fix on it - but it needs changing.

bad news is local jeep dealer says there are none of them in the UK, and jeep are not importing anymore into UK until 1 august - to see how brexit goes.

So looking around i found one .... in Latvia, and its cheaper than jeeps uk price of £160.

any ideas on USA costs and any dealers willing to ship to UK - for comparison or purchase. ?

I also fixed the annual flood in the cabin. sunroof drain tubes blocked at the base again.

#2 · (Edited)
It was originaly diagnosed as a gearbox flywheel, but soon turned out after visual inspection (mechaninc actually looked at it) as probably the turbo oil seals.

it turned out to be the turbo oil seals and cost less than £100 including parts and labour.

the bad news was that elephant hose is needing replacement - garage have done a kind of temporary fix on it - but it needs changing.

bad news is local jeep dealer says there are none of them in the UK, and jeep are not importing anymore into UK until 1 august - to see how brexit goes.

So looking around i found one .... in Latvia, and its cheaper than jeeps uk price of £160.

any ideas on USA costs and any dealers willing to ship to UK - for comparison or purchase. ?

I also fixed the annual flood in the cabin. sunroof drain tubes blocked at the base again.
@CP07;

I can only suggest checking these sites out and see what you can find;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

MOPAR Parts Giant - https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/jeep-parts.html

#3 ·
got the part number now 53013672AD there do not appear to be any, anywhere in Jeep UK dealer network, jeep suggested try IVECO - none available.

seems its on some kind of urgent baclk order into Fiat in Italy - but they are also saying that as from Friday of this week they are not importing anything into UK until the Brexit fiasco is sorted out.

will do a bit of checking around for used parts tomorrow - but long term it doesnt look good.

#8 ·
Tasca never got back to me :(

got the hose last week from charles Clarke dealership in Leeds, they sourced it via dealer in London!

local dealer was helpful - but wouldn't order the hose.

Jeep UK dealer network really is hit and mis.

#9 ·
Update on the oilleak....

It didn't go away, so i had to take it in. the drips which were originaly thought to be residual from the turbo seal turned into something more serious.

i noticed the drips getting more severe so doubted that diagnosis after a time. one morning on the way to work i called for fuel, on coming out of the pay booth i saw that it had dropped a large amount of oil on the forecourt ( by large amount i mean a puddle about a foot by a foot!

i dipped the oil and got to a garage i trust.

on striping it down it has been found that the oil cooler has one of the four holes 'blocked' by some strange hard white stuff, not usual oil/water mix gunk. it appears that it may be the result of some half ar5ed repair by a former owner - probably some oil additive rather than cooling system additive which has set hard. a furthe symptom was that the leak wasnt 'gravity fed' it appeared when the engine was running, after about 30 seconds oil poured out of the 'V'

whilst stripping it down it was noticed that blades on the turbo had been damaged, probably when the elephant/ turbo air hose broke sending a smal bit into the turbo.

since to get at the oil cooler the turbo has to come off I've had it repaired (£400) new oil cooler (£200) new oil cooler gaskets (the purple ones) £8. all plus labour.

I might have the coolant system flushed prior to running it again, and Im having the carbon deposits removed from the exhaust ports and swirl flaps.

Since it just eaten my spending money a lift kit will have to wait.

#10 ·
Sorry to hear that @CP07; Unfortunately those are the chances you take when you buy a used XK;

Obviously the original XK owners that are still around, are typically in the best shape; I feel pretty fortunate to have bought mine 5 years ago as a 2nd owner with just 62,000 miles on it.

3rd owners and beyond are REALLY rolling the dice with would you could be potentially getting yourself into.

I'd like to hear how she's running when you get her back on the road again, best of luck to you.

#11 ·
Hi, yes, Im aware of the risks involved when buying a used vehicle - especially one with the reputation for dodgy build quality Jeep has.

not sure i agree on the point about the number of owners though, any number of careful owners must be better than one owner - if that owner was a hire company or simply someone who drove like a lunatic and had no regard to maintenance?

I picked up the repaired turbo today, rebuild is now 50 - 60% complete, it goes back togther quicker than it came apart :)

should have the rebuild done by tomorrow night, then get new head unit fitted, hopefully back on the road by weekend.

#12 · (Edited)
Hi, yes, Im aware of the risks involved when buying a used vehicle - especially one with the reputation for dodgy build quality Jeep has.

not sure i agree on the point about the number of owners though, any number of careful owners must be better than one owner - if that owner was a hire company or simply someone who drove like a lunatic and had no regard to maintenance?

I picked up the repaired turbo today, rebuild is now 50 - 60% complete, it goes back togther quicker than it came apart :)

should have the rebuild done by tomorrow night, then get new head unit fitted, hopefully back on the road by weekend.
That's a fair point;

That being said I'd guess your chances of having one previous owner that was careful & meticulous with maintenance is probably better than having multiple previous owners that were.....but I digress.

Let us know how she runs when you get her all buttoned up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.