Third Brake Light - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By heffercow
  • 2 Post By heffercow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 142,000 km
Third Brake Light

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the tailgate mounted third brake light can be modified to be a night time running light as well?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,296, Level: 89 Points: 20,296, Level: 89 Points: 20,296, Level: 89
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the tailgate mounted third brake light can be modified to be a night time running light as well?"
I've never heard of it being done, but, that's not to say it's not possible; Are you talking about being able to keep it lit up solid, like your normal running lights - or did you have a different application in mind @Flex ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:15 PM
Points: 6,510, Level: 52 Points: 6,510, Level: 52 Points: 6,510, Level: 52
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
I think you'll find some serious problems trying to modify it into a running light. I'm not sure whether the third brake light has built in functionality for dimming, but typically an LED is dimmed using a PWM signal, which I don't believe the wiring supports.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:19 PM
Points: 2,682, Level: 31 Points: 2,682, Level: 31 Points: 2,682, Level: 31
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 130k
you may be able to isolate the LEDs and use a few for running lights and the rest for brake

or get a 555 timer and create your own pwm dimmer circuit thats enabled when running and disabled when braking. or make your brake light flash like a caddy lol...

cool idea for sure
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33 Points: 2,907, Level: 33
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

4WD
Current Mileage: 142,000 km
Yeah, I wanted more light on the back as I think the tail lights alone are not enough. I am a big fan of being lit up at night. Not worth the grief of heavy modification though. I will look for an alternative such as a bumper mounted strip etc.

I did just replace all my interior bulbs with LED's and they are extremely bright. It is like daylight inside the jeep when the doors open.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Points: 3,158, Level: 34 Points: 3,158, Level: 34 Points: 3,158, Level: 34
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

4WD
Current Mileage: 144k
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
Yeah, I wanted more light on the back as I think the tail lights alone are not enough. I am a big fan of being lit up at night. Not worth the grief of heavy modification though. I will look for an alternative such as a bumper mounted strip etc.

I did just replace all my interior bulbs with LED's and they are extremely bright. It is like daylight inside the jeep when the doors open.

PWM is the best way to dim the because it can be changed in real time to adjust to the brightness that you want, but adding a resistor to the power supply would also work. sounds like you are wanting a dimmer "running light" but then still want full brightness with the brake press? not 100% certain if this will work or not, since our 3rd brake lights are not just simply a light strip with 12 volts running to it, but in my mind it should work. the way I see it you have a few options but 2 main things to think about.

1st up is power. if you dont mind the 3rd brake light "running" all the time while the vehicle is on simply find a power wire that is not full time, splice into it, and run a secondary power wire straight to the light. If you only want it to run while your other lights are on I would suggest splicing into the tail lamp wire or other wire that only has power when lights are turned on.

2nd up is dim method. once power source is determined you need a way to make this the dim power while the normal supply to the light is the bright power. Like i said earlier, you could simply add some resistors in line with this new power wire, to limit the current, which will limit the brightness. not sure how many resistors or what size will do the job, but they are fairly cheap and you could get some off of amazon and play around a little. the other option is to get a 12v dimmer switch. again these can be purchased from amazon (here are two options with remote or without remote). the remote one would allow you to hide everything and still be able to adjust, while the other one would not (depending on mounting location). I have used both of these (mot these exact ones) in some LED nightlight/lamps that i make and they both work great. They will hold whatever setting they are set on even if power is cut.

So what you would have is a full power and a dim power going into the light. the dim power would operate when brakes are not pressed then when brakes are pressed they would light up like normal. Again this is just a theory, but figured it might be worth an $8 dollar investment to you.
Up4XK likes this.

2008 WK 5.7Hemi Limited - Brilliant Black - OME HD - Rubicon Recon Wheels - 255/75/17 BFG KM's -
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:12 PM
Points: 3,158, Level: 34 Points: 3,158, Level: 34 Points: 3,158, Level: 34
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

4WD
Current Mileage: 144k
Garage
yo @Flex I got bored tonight and decided to test my theory. I would call it a success. So looks like if you really want to make this happen it can be done. I'll post 2 videos below. first one shows the LED controller and second one demonstrates running light/brake light operation. If you have any questions about the setup let me know and I will get more specific with the description. One thing to note, it looks like the controller controls the voltage through the ground wire. So when I said earlier you would need to pull power from a second source, it actually looks like you would need to pull ground from another source as well. Granted this was all tested off the vehicle, but 12 volts is 12volts so it should work (I think ).

chaotic and Stircrayzy like this.

2008 WK 5.7Hemi Limited - Brilliant Black - OME HD - Rubicon Recon Wheels - 255/75/17 BFG KM's -

Last edited by heffercow; 05-31-2019 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Embed code didnt work...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in