Have a leak and no idea where it is coming from. Need Help - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Points: 718, Level: 14 Points: 718, Level: 14 Points: 718, Level: 14
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 139000
Have a leak and no idea where it is coming from. Need Help

So I had a windshield installed awhile back and it cracked due to the windshield being bad. Once they replaced it after a few weeks I noticed water on the inside of the Jeep on the dash along with water coming from the passenger side A Pillar. I also noticed the headliner between the windshield and the front of the sunroof would get wet as well. I tested the drain tubes and they seem to be working. I took the Jeep back to the place that installed it and he put sealant around the windshield and tried to figure out where it was coming from but said he couldn't find it.

I have no idea whats the problem. I poured cups of water on the windshield and sunroof to see if I could make it leak but I couldn't. It seems to only happen when I drive (from what I can tell atm) like the water collects then it gets wet wherever the momentum takes the water. No other spots on the interior are wet either so I dont think it would be coming from anywhere further back on the Jeep like the skylights in the rear .

Last edited by Dyson350; 05-02-2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:57 PM
Points: 615, Level: 12 Points: 615, Level: 12 Points: 615, Level: 12
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Model year: 2010
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 85,000
Garage
Water coming from the PS A pillar and wet on the front of the headliner are generally the sign of clogged sunroof drains. You said that they seem to be fine. I would clean them out anyway, might just be a slower then needed drain. I have to clean mine twice a year, I live in a conifer forest, and we get 54" of rain fall a year. Lots of needles and debris. I've rigged up an air nozzle with a tube, and put my compressor's pressure regulator down to about 10 psi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DrainCleaner.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	33987  

2010 Hemi Commander
Quadra Drive II
4" Superlift
275/70 R18 TOYO R/T
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

4WD
I will give it a shot, but like I said. I have poured a full cup of water into the tray directly over the hole and I didn't see any kind of back up other than the fact I'm pouring lots of water in a small area. Also like happened today. there was lots of water on the dash right in the center of the Jeep. It rained but I don't think it rained enough to cause water to reach all the way to the center of the tray and spill over into the headliner, especially if I just poured lots of water and didn't notice any issues.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 19,897, Level: 89 Points: 19,897, Level: 89 Points: 19,897, Level: 89
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
Current Mileage: 101,300
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson350 View Post
I will give it a shot, but like I said. I have poured a full cup of water into the tray directly over the hole and I didn't see any kind of back up other than the fact I'm pouring lots of water in a small area. Also like happened today. there was lots of water on the dash right in the center of the Jeep. It rained but I don't think it rained enough to cause water to reach all the way to the center of the tray and spill over into the headliner, especially if I just poured lots of water and didn't notice any issues.
If it was me, I'd take it back to the guys who replaced your windshield and say "Hey, WTF?" I didn't have this problem before you replaced the windshield.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

4WD
That's what I have been doing. This will be the 2nd time Ive had it in there. Its about to the point Im gonna say look if you cant fix it then I need to take it to someone else, BUT if they tell me its the windshield I am having the bill sent to you.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:26 PM
Points: 15,697, Level: 80 Points: 15,697, Level: 80 Points: 15,697, Level: 80
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
Do you know if they sealed the top of the the windshield? If not you may get a whistle at high speeds and also water leaks
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:48 AM
Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 130000
Also check the cowl screen seal around the lower portion of the windshield. The previous owner had the one on my vehicle replaced and they destroyed this seal and had uneven sealant in this area that I had to fix. I also ran another bead at the top of the windshield just to be sure.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

4WD
I am still trying to find the problem. They used a hose on the windshield and did not get any leaks. I took it to another shop to look at the sunroof and they cleaned the seals and adjusted the sunroof along with look at the drain hoses and also let water pour across it and they said no leaks.

Last night is rained hard and when I got in the Jeep there was a big puddle on the dash and the headliner from the front of the sunroof to the windshield was wet as well. There is also no wet headliner anywhere else inside the Jeep. Considering the Jeep was sitting and not moving yet the wet headliner reach as far back as the sunroof I am pretty sure that takes the windshield out of the equation. I have no idea where the hell the leak is coming from. It makes 0 sense.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 19,897, Level: 89 Points: 19,897, Level: 89 Points: 19,897, Level: 89
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Trim Package: Sport
4WD
Current Mileage: 101,300
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson350 View Post
I am still trying to find the problem. They used a hose on the windshield and did not get any leaks. I took it to another shop to look at the sunroof and they cleaned the seals and adjusted the sunroof along with look at the drain hoses and also let water pour across it and they said no leaks.

Last night is rained hard and when I got in the Jeep there was a big puddle on the dash and the headliner from the front of the sunroof to the windshield was wet as well. There is also no wet headliner anywhere else inside the Jeep. Considering the Jeep was sitting and not moving yet the wet headliner reach as far back as the sunroof I am pretty sure that takes the windshield out of the equation. I have no idea where the hell the leak is coming from. It makes 0 sense.
@Dyson350;

If it was my XK, I'd just have the entire sunroof and seals replaced just to take that possibility 100% out of the equation as a possible cause; Short of that, assuming that your front windshield & sunroof seals & drains are good, your next most likely cause is your factory roof rails; That is assuming you have nothing else mounted on the roof or bolted to the roof. I'm guessing each roof rail has 4 or 5 bolts mounting it to the roof.

When the screws/bolts in the roofs rails start to rust the seal they have against the roof will eventually lose it's water-tight integrity and allow water to seep in; this water will typically travel toward your front windshield in between headliner & the roof ; Gravity along with the curvature of the roof always seems to have it travel that way, and eventually it funnels into your A-pillars and you'll see little drops coming out from where the screw hole covers on the grab handle; Or the water could just pool up right there, where your headliner meets the front windshield; Usually it eventually finds its way into the A-Pillars though. It could be on the driver's side or the passengers side, depending on which roof rail has the rusted/corroded bolt or bolts.

Visually inspect your factory roof rails thoroughly for rust & corrosion; if you see any screws/bolts that are rusted or corroded, pull the roof-rail off and replace those screws/bolts and seal the holes with outdoor/all-weather silicone when you tighten them down.

I would also take a good look at your doors, and doors seals and make sure your doors are properly aligned and that your door seals are in tact and in good shape, bad door seals and/or doors that are out of alignment can also allow water to leak in a travel along the roof toward your front windshield.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-12-2019 at 01:08 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
@Dyson350;

If it was me, I'd just have the entire sunroof and seals replaced just to take that possibility 100% out of the equation as a possible cause; Short of that, assuming that your front windshield & sunroof seals & drains are good, your next most likely cause is your factory roof rails; That is assuming you have nothing else mounted on the roof or bolted to the roof. I'm guessing each roof rail has 4 or 5 bolts mounting it to the roof.

When the screws/bolts in the roofs rails start to rust the seal they have against the roof will eventually lose it's water-tight integrity and allow water to seep in; this water will typically travel toward your front windshield in between headliner & the roof ; Gravity along with the curvature of the roof always seems to have it travel that way, and eventually it funnels into your A-pillars and you'll see little drops coming out from where the screw hole covers on the grab handle; Or the water could just pool up right there, where your headliner meets the front windshield; Usually it eventually finds its way into the A-Pillars though. It could be on the driver's side or the passengers side, depending on which roof rail has the rusted/corroded bolt or bolts.

Visually inspect your factory roof rails thoroughly for rust & corrosion; if you see any screws/bolts that are rusted or corroded, pull the roof-rail off and replace those screws/bolts and seal the holes with outdoor/all-weather silicone when you tighten them down.
Yeah the rails were something I was wondering about, that or the skylights in the back.. But if this were the case and gravity was causing the water to travel towards the windshield I don't understand how the liner in the front of the sunroof would be wet. The water would have to wrap around the sunroof and travel back to the center of the vehicle to get the liner wet were its at atm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in