Replace MDS during engine swap? Or disable? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Up4XK
  • 1 Post By Wombler
  • 1 Post By rblapham

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Points: 305, Level: 6 Points: 305, Level: 6 Points: 305, Level: 6
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 150,000
Replace MDS during engine swap? Or disable?

Hi. I searched the forums but didn't come up with a definitive answer. If someone has a thread they can point me too, I'd appreciate it.

I'm replacing the 5.7 in my 2006. I ordered the engine from ProEngines this morning. I'm trying to decide if I should replace all 4 MDS solenoids or just reuse the ones from the old engine and if I have issues, disable the system. I'm planning on a TrailDash2 already and the $250 for 4 MDS solenoids will get me half way to the TrailDash2. I'm planning on using the TrailDash2 to retune to low octane fuel. This is my first vehicle with MDS. I also got this Jeep with a bad engine so I haven't verified if there are issues with the system or if I like it or not. From what I have gathered, the MPG gains are small but the annoyance and issues can be large.

Any thoughts or advice?

The Journey Continues.....bought my first Commander with a bad engine and very limited information. Coolant in the cylinders, new water pump box on the front seat, thinking this all adds up to a major overheat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:33 PM
Points: 615, Level: 12 Points: 615, Level: 12 Points: 615, Level: 12
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 85,000
Garage
A lot depends on your driving style. MDS is great if you have a light and steady foot, or use cruse control a lot. I find that on my morning drive to work I make some good MPG gains, but then burn it all up (and then some) on the evening drive home. The 5.7 can be a thirsty beast.
Sevenjays likes this.

2010 Hemi Commander
Quadra Drive II
4" Superlift
275/70 R18 TOYO R/T
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:57 PM
Points: 3,950, Level: 39 Points: 3,950, Level: 39 Points: 3,950, Level: 39
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

4WD
Current Mileage: 113676
Garage
The solenoids don't really ever go bad. If i remember right, if they are to fail then they fail OPEN rather than closed, so they won't affect the lifters at all.
You should be fine to just transfer the old ones over. If the new engine didn't come with them, and you don't want to transfer, you'll need to get the solenoid plugs to block off the holes. And definitely disable MDS with the tuner. Like THESE plugs.

If you swap the solenoids over and later decide to disable them with a tuner, you'll be good. HOWEVER, if you don't put any solenoids in (new or old) and just install plugs, you might have to run the non-MDS lifters. I'm not 100% sure on this as I was seeing mixed answers around the other HEMI sites. Usually the MDS delete kits come with these plugs AND lifters. I'd do some further research if you are considering this route.
Sevenjays likes this.

2006 Dark Khaki Limited, Hemi, QD-II w/ all the options.
Inertia Performance Heads, Full SRT 6.1 Valve Train, Custom ground Crower Cam, Double Roller Timing, Trend Performance forged Pushrods, High PSI Oil Pump, ARH Long Tube Headers and Mids, Borla Catback, aFe Stage 2 Intake, AEM X-Series UEGO, MDS On Light, Kenwood in-dash Nav, HID Projectors and full LED lighting upgrade

Still ironing out the tune, need to get it on a dyno....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:52 AM
Points: 30,088, Level: 100 Points: 30,088, Level: 100 Points: 30,088, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

4WD
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
You can disable the MDS temporally if you want . Press the "Tow/Haul" button and MDS is disabled. It also puts the trans in one lower gear. Use as a trouble shooting aid?
Sevenjays likes this.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombler View Post
The solenoids don't really ever go bad. If i remember right, if they are to fail then they fail OPEN rather than closed, so they won't affect the lifters at all.
You should be fine to just transfer the old ones over. If the new engine didn't come with them, and you don't want to transfer, you'll need to get the solenoid plugs to block off the holes. And definitely disable MDS with the tuner. Like THESE plugs.

If you swap the solenoids over and later decide to disable them with a tuner, you'll be good. HOWEVER, if you don't put any solenoids in (new or old) and just install plugs, you might have to run the non-MDS lifters. I'm not 100% sure on this as I was seeing mixed answers around the other HEMI sites. Usually the MDS delete kits come with these plugs AND lifters. I'd do some further research if you are considering this route.

Thanks for the input. I'm planning on swapping the solenoids over and if they work, great! But if they don't I'll go the disable route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Journey Continues.....bought my first Commander with a bad engine and very limited information. Coolant in the cylinders, new water pump box on the front seat, thinking this all adds up to a major overheat.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4XK View Post
A lot depends on your driving style. MDS is great if you have a light and steady foot, or use cruse control a lot. I find that on my morning drive to work I make some good MPG gains, but then burn it all up (and then some) on the evening drive home. The 5.7 can be a thirsty beast.

I'll swap the old ones over and hope for the best. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in