Jeep Commander Forum banner

A rogue garbage bag landed me in the shop

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  KIS_jeeep_06 
#1 ·
Today on my drive in to work I encountered a rogue black plastic bag in my path.
Harmless enough I thought.
At 70 mph I wasn't about to veer.

Well...that trash bag ended up wrapping around my drive shaft, trashing my pinion seal, and yanking one of my parking brake cables out of the socket.

It's in the shop now and should be a quick repair. Thankfully.
How was your day?

#2 ·
Wow! Who knew a plastic bag could do so much damage?!

Reactions: rsandberg7425
#3 ·
Today on my drive in to work I encountered a rogue black plastic bag in my path.
Harmless enough I thought.
At 70 mph I wasn't about to veer.

Well...that trash bag ended up wrapping around my drive shaft, trashing my pinion seal, and yanking one of my parking brake cables out of the socket.

It's in the shop now and should be a quick repair. Thankfully.
How was your day?
Wow....definitely sounds like slowing down and veering would have been a better option.

I can't help but laugh about it because that sounds exactly like something that would happen to me.

#5 ·
I realize that this thread is a few months old but the same thing happened to me last week. It was just a small plastic shopping bag. I remember it blowing in the road in front of me and under the Jeep as i was driving. The bag got wrapped around the yoke at the differential. I now have a nasty leak at the pinion seal. Gear oil has been slung around under the Jeep and there is a nice puddle in the driveway. Its going to my buddy's shop for this repair, I don't want to deal with this one while on my back in the driveway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.