Jeep Commander Forum banner

Replaced the radiator fan today

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Aerogt01 
#1 ·
Hey guys...its been awhile since I posted up here, but thought I'd share a little problem we had and the solution...
The a/c system only cooled while the jeep was in motion. Also noticed the temp gauge crept up a bit...the rad fan never came on. Never realized that the rad fan comes on when the a/c is in use. I unplugged the fan motor and ran 12 volts from the battery straight to the motor and nothing. Motors fried. Got one from NAPA for 113. And it's not just the motor, but the entire shroud also. Anyways back in business. It's a little tricky removing and install but no too difficult. There's plenty of room in front of the 3. 7 to do these things. Again, usually easy to work on.

#7 ·
Did it over the weekend in about 1.5 hrs on mine. Mine is the 4.7 with the mechanical fan installed. I did not remove the mechanical fan.

- Take grill off
- Take hood latch off
- Take front top cross member off (here I just drilled out the rivet attached to the washer fluid fill neck)
- Drain the radiator
- Disconnect top rad hose
- Unplug and unbolt electric fan (push the AC fill back a little bit)

Here is where it gets a bit tricky -
Push the driver's side of the fan shroud back so the tab clears the headlight frame. Then, slide the whole assembly to your RIGHT so the passenger side tabs can clear the filler neck. Pull up, while watching your power steering hoses. Hole thing should slide on up. You may have to spin the mechanical fan a bit to get it to clear the blades.

Transfer over your resistor, resistor mount, and harness.

Reassembly is reverse of disassembly. Watch your power steering hoses. This was done in my apt garage in the middle of unpacking, right before a trip into the mountains.

I bought a Murray as well. I hope it lasts more than 1 year...

#3 ·
Sorry so long...I did not...I'm always to focused, dirty and sweaty to put the phone to work. Getting the fan shroud out was a real pita! Did it without removing the front end or rad...takes a lot of patience .
My boys been wheeling the XK for almost 2 years now. He has a lot of pride in his Jeep and takes good care of it...I still do all the maintenance and just show him everything I can. I get a chance every now and then to take it out...still solid and sound...with the exception of the rust issue were dealing with now. My man says he 'll take it the last week of With a we 'll see

#4 · (Edited)
Electric fan motor

I had a similar problem 4 years ago. Burned up the fan motor,got a stick caught in it. Replaced it with a new Murray fan-motor assy. with lifetime warranty, lasted until next year A/C season, replaced it under warranty, it lasted till next A/C season, replaced it 3rd time. One more year, this time I got a refund,bit the bullet, and bought replacement from Chrysler. I wish I had saved the original shroud, because Jeep motor didn't come with shroud,and I had to order it too. $475, fan motor ,and shroud. But I didn't have to replace it this year. So if you still have the original shroud, better hang on to it, just in case. Art:wink3:

#5 ·
Not sure what brand I got from NAPA...hope it's not a Murray! I'm gonna check my receipt tomorrow

#6 ·
Found my invoice...I I stalled a Dorman...from NAPA auto parts. Do far so good

Reactions: Big Blue
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.