Jeep Commander Forum banner

Jeep Commander 3.7 Motor Replacement

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  chaaz01 
#1 ·
Hello!

I have acquired a 2006 Jeep Commander with the 3.7.

This machine has suffered the design flaw of a valve seat coming loose. From my research, this seems to be a common enough problem.

So, now I am faced with either changing the heads or getting a remanufactured engine. I would love to know what you guys have to say about it.

My machine shop is very confident in their ability to rebuild the heads in such a way that they are better than new, but the idea of having a completely redone engine is pretty tempting.

#2 · (Edited)
Hello!

I have acquired a 2006 Jeep Commander with the 3.7.

This machine has suffered the design flaw of a valve seat coming loose. From my research, this seems to be a common enough problem.

So, now I am faced with either changing the heads or getting a remanufactured engine. I would love to know what you guys have to say about it.

My machine shop is very confident in their ability to rebuild the heads in such a way that they are better than new, but the idea of having a completely redone engine is pretty tempting.
Just looking at it logically, if you have the budget, with 180,000 miles on your current power-train, I'd opt for the rebuilt engine.

I'd also splurge for a new radiator while you're at it.

#5 ·
I agree with Blue. After the amount of work to swap the heads out, I would just look into a full re-manned that has updated heads.
Also agree about the radiator. They have plastic caps on the ends (like, the entire sides, top to bottom are plastic) and those only get old and brittle over time. Your's might still have great flow for air and coolant still, but plastic ages and when a radiator fails more often than not it's a cracked side. Plus, it's an easy enough swap with the engine out and they are less than $200

Reactions: Big Blue
#8 · (Edited)
@Gregory Thornock; Considering that a rebuilt engine should come with a new/rebuilt water pump & alternator, the only other thing I might suggest would be buying a new Battery if you haven't done so already.

Unless you know for a fact, that the battery you have currently is 100% solid.

I would also check & verify if it has come with a new TCM & PCM, otherwise your old TCM & PCM would likely have to be reprogrammed to the new/rebuilt engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.