Mechanic is Baffled - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By JeepAddiction
  • 2 Post By DanielDD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Points: 239, Level: 4 Points: 239, Level: 4 Points: 239, Level: 4
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 120000
Mechanic is Baffled

In my initial post to this forum back in July, I mentioned that I had overheating problems and that I was taking steps to fix them the best that I could. The steps I took included:

New Radiator
Flush Coolant System
New Thermostat
Change Oil
Replace Belt Tensioner

Even after these repairs I knew that I might fall prey to the ill-fated head gasket issue that is talked about on Commanders. As my repairs did not fix the overheating issue and now I was getting a low oil pressure light and smoke coming from the engine, I decided to pass it on to a professional.

At an estimated cost of $2,000, they completed the following:

Head gasket replacement
Machine Heads
New Oil Pump

Then added on an additional $400 for new cylinder head on Driver's side after failing to achieve desired result.

They rebuilt the engine twice. They put everything back together and fired it up today. There is now compression on all cylinders. There is oil pressure. But there is a knocking noise.

The mechanic is done. He is giving back the vehicle and giving up. He doesn't know what else could be wrong and suggested I look for a Dodge or Jeep pro that could tackle this.

They believe that there is a lower engine knock. I don't have enough knowledge to diagnose this. They also suggested that the timing chain tensioner might be faulty. I don't know how they wouldn't have seen that when they put it back together.

I don't want this to run much longer, but maybe someone on this forum has heard about these same issues and could give some advice before I shell out any money for repairs.

Is the engine toast? Is the engine knock due to an oil pressure issue? Could the engine bearings be going bad, and if so, why do I have good compression at the top? Could something have fallen into the engine that is knocking around?

I know it's hard to diagnose from afar, but I am frustrated, they are frustrated, and I just need to get my Commander running.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 08:34 PM
Points: 1,728, Level: 24 Points: 1,728, Level: 24 Points: 1,728, Level: 24
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 150,000
If you ran it with low oil pressure you may have spun a lower rod bearing and that is where the knock is coming from. I have been nickle and diming a 4.7 in a WJ for years. It never ends. That is why the Commander has a 5.7
truehemingway likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 09:15 PM
Points: 752, Level: 14 Points: 752, Level: 14 Points: 752, Level: 14
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 177K
It is unfortunate you have found yourself in this predicament. From the information you provided, you may have an issue in the lower end of the engine as was indicated by the above poster. If I were you I would take possession of your vehicle from the mechanic and find someone who can properly diagnose your lower end issue. The low oil light indicates oil starvation due to a worn oil pump and this is where the damage occurred to the lower end. The overheating issue is unrelated, so you have multiple issues going on.

As I see it you have a couple of options. If you own the car outright, you may consider trading it in and getting out of it completely. If this is not a viable option for you then I suggest you find a knowledgeable mechanic who can properly diagnose the engine noise. The older more experienced mechanics can do this. There are some who can tell a rod knock from a main bearing knock. That is who you need to find.

But lets say for discussion sake they determine you have either a rod or a main bearing issue that is causing the knock. At this juncture, I would be looking for a remanufactured short block and have it replaced outright. Of course if you're handy and want to take it on yourself, that would be my vote, but from your conversation, it looks like you would rather leave this type of effort to others (and theres nothing wrong with that).

So, to recap - find an experienced mechanic to properly diagnose your noise. Cost should be minimal to do this. If the noise is in the lower end of the engine (which I suspect given the information provided), you either offload the vehicle entirely and get into something else or bite the bullet and get a remanufactured short block. If you're going down this rabbit hole, you may as well price in a complete remanufactured engine just so you know where your financial limits are. Personally, I would stay away from any used engine replacements. It is a headache you do not want.

I feel for your situation and understand your frustration and wish you all the best!
Big Blue and truehemingway like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 08:21 PM
Points: 3,456, Level: 36 Points: 3,456, Level: 36 Points: 3,456, Level: 36
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 165,000
Looks like you have changed quite a bit, did you look at the water pump? I was just fighting an overheating issue in another thread. Water pump is cheap and on the v6 its super easy to change, not sure about the v8. Its has rather cheap looking plastic impeller. If there is enough room on the v8 to get it out with out too much hassle it would be worth taking a look, or just pop in a new one while you're in there.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Points: 239, Level: 4 Points: 239, Level: 4 Points: 239, Level: 4
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

4WD
Current Mileage: 120000
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse46 View Post
Looks like you have changed quite a bit, did you look at the water pump? I was just fighting an overheating issue in another thread. Water pump is cheap and on the v6 its super easy to change, not sure about the v8. Its has rather cheap looking plastic impeller. If there is enough room on the v8 to get it out with out too much hassle it would be worth taking a look, or just pop in a new one while you're in there.

The water pump was one of those things that the mechanic was supposed to look at, but I never got confirmation on whether it was done. Once I got the car back, I tried to start it up. It ran for a minute, and then backfired out of the air intake, popping the filter up in the process.

The tow truck driver who brought it home for me said that this means the timing is off. The mechanic thought that the timing tension might be off too, so now I'm really hoping that all of this rough idling and knocking is being caused by a timing issue.

It would be a shame to have to scrap this engine. I have 2 new cylinder heads, new valve covers, new head gasket, new oil pump, new belt tensioner, and then all the various gaskets, etc.

Going to try to make a new friend over at the Jeep dealer and see if maybe they want to educate me for beers...or cash. I just want this fixed now!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,896, Level: 94 Points: 23,896, Level: 94 Points: 23,896, Level: 94
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by truehemingway View Post
The water pump was one of those things that the mechanic was supposed to look at, but I never got confirmation on whether it was done. Once I got the car back, I tried to start it up. It ran for a minute, and then backfired out of the air intake, popping the filter up in the process.

The tow truck driver who brought it home for me said that this means the timing is off. The mechanic thought that the timing tension might be off too, so now I'm really hoping that all of this rough idling and knocking is being caused by a timing issue.

It would be a shame to have to scrap this engine. I have 2 new cylinder heads, new valve covers, new head gasket, new oil pump, new belt tensioner, and then all the various gaskets, etc.

Going to try to make a new friend over at the Jeep dealer and see if maybe they want to educate me for beers...or cash. I just want this fixed now!!
@truehemingway;

Let us know what you find out, I'd be interested to know.

I never heard you mention anything about getting any DTC's in the EVIC - are you receiving any, or, have you had your DTC's pulled yet by your previous mechanic? I'd have thought that would have been the first thing he would/should have done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-01-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Tags
head gasket , knocking , mechanic , repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in