Question on Auto 4-wheel - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question on Auto 4-wheel

Just delivered my new Commander 3.7 with full-time 4-wheel. I am very happy with the vehicle but miss the mechanical selector on my 2001 Cherokee.

Here is my question: How do my fellow owners feel about the non-selective 4-wheel system in my vehicle?

I live in the PA snow belt and really need 4-wheel.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Nayth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAYTH View Post
Just delivered my new Commander 3.7 with full-time 4-wheel. I am very happy with the vehicle but miss the mechanical selector on my 2001 Cherokee.

Here is my question: How do my fellow owners feel about the non-selective 4-wheel system in my vehicle?

I live in the PA snow belt and really need 4-wheel.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Nayth
Welcome to the forum, Nayth. You're going to like your Commander. I have a different 4wd than you but it is full-time, non-selective, except for LO. At first I thought I would miss the selecting. I had Selec-Trac on my 02 Grand Cherokee.

But now, I have great confidence in the full-time 4wd in any conditions. And I like that when my wife or kids drive it, they have that capability. My wife has 04 Liberty with 2HI, 4HI (part-time) and 4LO. And as she goes in and out of snow in Michigan with some dry road areas and then snow, it just isn't as capable, because she has to keep it in 2 or shift constantly.

Well, anyway, enjoy it. Btw, regarding your q on another post, 35 psi on your tires seem fine.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

Thanks for the feedback "GP". I am looking forward to participating on this Forum.

I am an owner of a large watch collectors Forum and enjoy dealing with friendly folks that share common interests!

Nayth

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPintheMitten View Post
Welcome to the forum, Nayth. You're going to like your Commander. I have a different 4wd than you but it is full-time, non-selective, except for LO. At first I thought I would miss the selecting. I had Selec-Trac on my 02 Grand Cherokee.

But now, I have great confidence in the full-time 4wd in any conditions. And I like that when my wife or kids drive it, they have that capability. My wife has 04 Liberty with 2HI, 4HI (part-time) and 4LO. And as she goes in and out of snow in Michigan with some dry road areas and then snow, it just isn't as capable, because she has to keep it in 2 or shift constantly.

Well, anyway, enjoy it. Btw, regarding your q on another post, 35 psi on your tires seem fine.
Ditto, is hard to let go of the control, but the Full time 4WD system on the Commander is awesome...... Very capable even in the base system. TheQT I in your vehicle is the same as the one in QT II except is is lacking a LOW range. It is a fully automatic system, and unless you need a low range, you will never miss the levers.

I run my tires harder than most, about 10% below max pressure, so if sidewall max is 44 cold, I run 40, and so on. ENJOY!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Points: 1,978, Level: 26 Points: 1,978, Level: 26 Points: 1,978, Level: 26
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

You'll quickly find you have more confidence in the snow in the Commander. When it snows/ices here in Virginia, I opt for the Commander over my part-time 4wd truck that I'm more familiar with b/c of the auto 4wd. Unfortunately, I have to use the truck most of the time as the Commander is the wife's daily driver.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

I am loving my 3.7 four wheel drive system.

Although we don't get the snow in Arkansas you get in PA, mine has done very well even on the ice we do get.

I have been in places where I would have got stuck with anything else only to get out and continue my day.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

Lonestar,
You or your wife certainly got to test the traction control today...
I'm in Springfield, started at 5:30 this am.. Main roads were ok, but going in and out of the developments was challenging.
KKKKFL
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Points: 734, Level: 14 Points: 734, Level: 14 Points: 734, Level: 14
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

I have the same set up and had no problems in 12" of snow in Indianapolis this morning. The side streets were not plowed; the interstate was plowed, but you could not see pavement or the lines.

Kind of fun making up your own lane!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Points: 2,012, Level: 27 Points: 2,012, Level: 27 Points: 2,012, Level: 27
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

The only disadvantage of Quadra Trac is less mileage. There's more drag/friction with AWD than 2WD-High.

You don't need low-range unless you drive off-road (well, maybe it's also useful at a boat launch). Quadra Trac is no less than phenomenal in heavy snow.

--Spike
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Points: 6,156, Level: 51 Points: 6,156, Level: 51 Points: 6,156, Level: 51
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

I concur with everyone else on here. I thought I would miss the ability to put it in 2wd but I really don't. Well, other than doing donuts and the gas mileage! The 4wd works awesome and I have only got it stuck once, and I try often!!! You will be happy with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in